HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2012, 12:00 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
No maiden on the ZII yet - so take this for what it's worth... very little. I only side arm launch my smaller wing. It's second nature for me at this point - the nice part is that I throw left handed - so I juice the throttle and my other hand is on the sticks brefore the wing ever leaves my hand.

That said - one of the guys that I fly with was "learning" the side arm on his ZII yesterday - he went 50%. The first wasn't enough throw and not enough of an up angle - he kind of let the plane just fly out of his hand almost level to the ground. Didn't work - no damage - but didn't work.

When he actually guided the plane and threw it with some up angle - it was a complete non event.

I admit - when I learned the technique - even with a small wing - I screwed it up a few times. Success comes from confidence, conviction, and the right form.

All that said - I'm going to chit a kitten the first time I go to launch my Z this way - but there is literally no reason that it won't work.
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 12:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Yea us lefties have it easy, also watch brosius's or rockflyr??? launch vid its no different even with the wind he has
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 09, 2012, 01:04 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,340 Posts
Hey guys

Can someone make a video of what a z2 perfectly balanced should look like? Also go over the setup trim with a ruler and then stand the ruler up and show how much travel the ailrons should make full movements? If so I'd appreciate it
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old May 09, 2012, 01:56 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
Initial trim and cg is key , hesitation is always a killer, it can also make launches difficult .
flohio117 with his cg and trim rite would have had no issues whatsoever.
I have to agree with Chris. Hesitation can lead to a bad launch no matter what type of plane you fly.

I would hesitate if I threw the ZII toward a large body of water like flohio did. Go find yourself a nice open area with a lot of grass. Unless you can put everything out of your mind the thought of hitting hard-pan or water will create fear and then hesitation.

Of course I really shouldn't talk since I have yet to maiden my ZII and will be using a bungee launcher when I do until I can get the right flight trim setup.

Although I do have close to 60 good launches of my Skysurfer along with a few that didn't get into the air because I was worried about crashing it and I did.

From what I have read and seen in the videos the ZII is a great plane and very fun to fly. I know I will enjoy it and probably retire the Skysurfer when I do.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 10, 2012, 02:39 PM
norway
Joined Oct 2009
1,133 Posts
And finally it arrived
fpv-tor is offline Find More Posts by fpv-tor
Old May 10, 2012, 04:30 PM
KragerÝ, Norway
Joined Jun 2010
671 Posts
Let the build begin! I will get mine next week and i cant wait!!

Is the biggest precut on the ZII for the batteries? Is the CG about right if i put two 3300 mah batteries in there or should I cut my own like you do to the zephyr?
Voguna is offline Find More Posts by Voguna
Old May 10, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Dec 2010
725 Posts
Go mine to!!! I'm sooooooooo frikkin stoked! Chris shipped mine out SUPER fast and I can't say enough good things about him just being a good dude and about his product! Customer service is always A+!!! Can't wait to get myself enough time to get this baby in the air!

Keith Frikkin' Morris
drumbum961 is offline Find More Posts by drumbum961
Old May 10, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
257 Posts
Where do you plan on mounting the RVOSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv-tor View Post
And finally it arrived
cabster101 is online now Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 07:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv-tor View Post
And finally it arrived
how'd you end up with red coro? i want pink! haha jk lime green would be BA
Old May 10, 2012, 08:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Ritewing Zephyr ZII Throw's and Launching (6 min 51 sec)

here it is! launch video and control throw movement... this is probably launch 10-12 never failed this way "yet"

have failed the overhead grip in the motor mount cutout....

Final words

JUST DO IT!!

dont hesitate just throw..

this is also my first flying wing, and i only have experience on a sub 20" speed demon that i smoked into the ground on a maiden for a buddy... the reason being way way way to much throw...
Last edited by paintz2007; May 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintz2007 View Post
https://vimeo.com/41952960

here it is! launch video and control throw movement... this is probably launch 10-12 never failed this way "yet"

Final words

JUST DO IT!!

this is also my first flying wing, and i only have experience on a sub 20" speed demon that i smoked into the ground on a maiden for a buddy... the reason being way way way to much throw...
Nice video man it looked like your throws we're higher than mine. My elevator only goes 1/4 inch up and down I thought that was enough. How much does yours go? Also I know by watching that video my cg was way off bc yours just floated and didn't nose down like mine did right after I threw it.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
my cg is per the manual (at 9 3/8" from the nose), i can roll my fingers over that mark and itll change nose to tail heavy..

and ive misplaced my ruler but 10-12mm i'd guess is my low rates, that is aileron and elevator separately...

my z is also real light at about 2100g, id like a little more weight as you can see in the vid it doesnt retain well, but makes landings good
Old May 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
https://vimeo.com/41952960

Final words

JUST DO IT!!

Nice video I feel much better after watching those launches Thanks for the video !!
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old May 10, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,340 Posts
Does anyone live around Clarksville Tennessee or fort campbell Kentucky?
Old May 11, 2012, 01:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
how'd you end up with red coro? i want pink! haha jk lime green would be BA
Pink WOULD be awesome!!!
FPVLinda is offline Find More Posts by FPVLinda