HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2012, 08:55 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Dec 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
I throw it powered like an easy star with 3/4 throttle ... a firm launch like a Javelin not like a dart .. from behind and forward with about 40 degree up angle ... works for me ...

Khaled
I did this as well with my flying wings for ~20 Starts, until one time the prop hit my hand --> hospital time.

Now i switched to another start-method which worked better and safer for me (~90 starts, 82 succesfull): Grab the wing on its nose, point the motor to the ground, full throttle and than just pull it up.
BKMorpheus is offline Find More Posts by BKMorpheus
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 09:04 AM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,440 Posts
Ok guys my next flight I will deff throw it a lot harder Im also going to get my cg perfect bc I thought all nose heavy was good but I guess not.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old May 09, 2012, 09:20 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Flip the motor to the other side of the mount to help with CG, trim it up correctly prior to flight , your throw was not to bad, if your cg was rite and the trim was closer you would have had no issues.
It almost pulled out, your heavy nose side cg hurt you on the low speed pull out, go full throttle!!
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old May 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMorpheus View Post
I did this as well with my flying wings for ~20 Starts, until one time the prop hit my hand --> hospital time.

Now i switched to another start-method which worked better and safer for me (~90 starts, 82 succesfull): Grab the wing on its nose, point the motor to the ground, full throttle and than just pull it up.
Ouchh.... Maybe I should throw it much harder unpowered then full throttle ....

Thanks for the warning .. I'll not do that again ...

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is online now Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old May 09, 2012, 10:26 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Good luck throwing a 5 lb object to a 20 mph stall speed, you have a big arm
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
Ouchh.... Maybe I should throw it much harder unpowered then full throttle ....

Thanks for the warning .. I'll not do that again ...

Khaled
Old May 09, 2012, 10:54 AM
norway
Joined Oct 2009
1,133 Posts
is it ok to hot glue the wing together'?
and can i use epoxy for the wing spars'?

cheers
fpv-tor is offline Find More Posts by fpv-tor
Old May 09, 2012, 10:57 AM
Geoff
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2011
50 Posts
My maiden flight was las weekend. I am trying to throw mine overhand, unpowered and so far am 6 out of 13 successful. Not good enough for me. My nose is already crumpled a bit. I am having a hard time getting the power up before it impacts. I throw left handed.

So what are most people doing? Unpowered or powered launches.
nybeechpilot is offline Find More Posts by nybeechpilot
Old May 09, 2012, 11:07 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
I hate having a different view point to Chris, as he is 'the don', the ZII is his marvellous creation and he knows it better than anyone, but I only have a humble 3S set-up and I launch it with zero power every time. For comparison, mine has no FPV gear on and weighs 2200g

In fact, I reckon I could launch it with zero power and one-hand behind my back. When I'm next out in the field, I'll record a video.
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old May 09, 2012, 11:12 AM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
I am getting really nervous hearing all these people having trouble launching their zII's
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old May 09, 2012, 11:19 AM
Geoff
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2011
50 Posts
I forgot to mention I am at 2.5 kilos and have a 4s setup. Still 6 out of 13.
nybeechpilot is offline Find More Posts by nybeechpilot
Old May 09, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,440 Posts
Thanks guys I'll deff get my cg perfect next time I had an extra battery in the front for weight so I'll put a smaller battery in until I get the cg freaking perfect and I'm going to throw it full throttle like I just threw an asteroid the only thing that scares me is the faster I throw it the faster it hits the ground if it off
Old May 09, 2012, 11:27 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
I am getting really nervous hearing all these people having trouble launching their zII's
Well you don't hear about the people having success about lauching because there is nothing to report about it. I bet there are 20 to every 1 that have no problems lauching.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old May 09, 2012, 11:29 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
Well you don't hear about the people having success about lauching because there is nothing to report about it. I bet there are 20 to every 1 that have no problems lauching.
Good point!
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old May 09, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,440 Posts
I want to start an rc mega store that has pretty much every plane and the top 20 multirotors and hire technicians that could give classes on how to properly setup and launch the more popular planes and multirotors but that will only be a dream that would be cool if someone did a setup video of the zephyr though like from servo setup with the ruler all the way to the launch. Bc I thought I had my trim right but I had the elevator pulled all the way back and it just kept going into the ground I know I had it a I'll nose heavy so I'm not going to mess with my trim or anything until I get my cg right
Old May 09, 2012, 11:40 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Initial trim and cg is key , hesitation is always a killer, it can also make launches difficult .
flohio117 with his cg and trim rite would have had no issues whatsoever.
Last edited by klique; May 09, 2012 at 11:48 AM.