SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2012, 02:26 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
quick question guys how can I make my ZII have a very smooth finish do I need to spackle the foam with foam putty then sand before putting the 3m90 and lam on ?
Just use the light spakle where you need it. No need to cover the entire wing. Basically fill the gaps where the spars are and any dings you may have. Then sand it. The foam will sand perfectly smooth with a 220 sand paper. Takes like 5 mins if you have a power sander. Use a light mist of locktite spray adhesive before you lam. If you are gonna paint, paint thr feshly sanded wing then use the locktite over the paint befor lamming
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 02:47 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrob61 View Post
Just use the light spakle where you need it. No need to cover the entire wing. Basically fill the gaps where the spars are and any dings you may have. Then sand it. The foam will sand perfectly smooth with a 220 sand paper. Takes like 5 mins if you have a power sander. Use a light mist of locktite spray adhesive before you lam. If you are gonna paint, paint thr feshly sanded wing then use the locktite over the paint befor lamming
Who died and made you an expert Mr. Ron

It really is as easy as Ron says Hotdog. I have built half a dozen regular ritewings and the Z2 is a much easier build than they are.

Thanks for showing me the Android thing on the touchpad when we was hanging out in CKs garage. When I go back to I DE HO I hacked mine. It's ten times better than the web OS that came on it.
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Old May 02, 2012, 02:55 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Is 'spakle' a US thing? I'm from the UK and have never heard of it? It doesn't come up on a UK eBay search either. Exactly what is 'spakle' ? Thanks
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Last edited by Ian Davidson; May 02, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old May 02, 2012, 03:07 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post
Is 'spakle' and US think? I'm from the UK and have never heard of it? It doesn't come up on a UK eBay search either. Exactly what is 'spakle' ? Thanks
Look for spackling compound http://www.amazon.com/DAP-12142-Inte.../dp/B0006MXS1A
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Old May 02, 2012, 03:16 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Many thanks (although I see that's still a US link). Is spackle flexible too then; would it not simply crack when the wing flexes?
Old May 02, 2012, 03:42 AM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
I'm finishing up the molded ritewing zephyr 2 zii!!

Its my first zephyr build, its loaded for FPV

I got a full eagle tree osd setup which is a little heavy

a LOT of wires as I have the LRS RX out on the wing

I kind of overdid it with too much Gorilla tape over the spars and too much laminate, too much glue and hot glue!! (first ritewing build LOL)

SO I went to weight the final weight zephyr with all the equipment and bats ready to fly weight is just over 6lbs!!

I've heard of maybe one person with a zeph around 6lbs? Does anyone here have experience flying heavier zephyrs'

Klique said that it should fly well even at this weight, but I was curious if anyone else is flying this heavy on an FPV system. What type of flite time and speeds are you getting at that weight, and how are the flight characteristics?

Whats the heaviest setup you guys have seen or flown??

Thanks for your help!!
whosthebaddest is offline Find More Posts by whosthebaddest
Last edited by whosthebaddest; May 02, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old May 02, 2012, 05:51 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
i flew my ZII at 6lbs, it flew awesome. if you dont have a good arm or a lot of thrust you might want to consider a bungee launcher.

it had a 2000w setup; a 1400kv 2856 roket inrunner, 6s and a 7x5 with a cc ice 100. top speed around 120 mph, cruised along at 200w @ around 20mph

flight characteristics were sssssaweeeeeeet. pity i put it into the pacific ocean.

some beautiful memories all the same, my new ZII is gonna be even better.
black milk (6 min 4 sec)
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old May 02, 2012, 06:00 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosthebaddest View Post
I'm finishing up the molded ritewing zephyr 2 zii!!

Its my first zephyr build, its loaded for FPV

I got a full eagle tree osd setup which is a little heavy

I don't have a go pro on it but a cam with pan and tilt servos

2 nanotech 4s 3300mah 65-130c Batts (409g each)

a LOT of wires as I have the LRS RX out on the wing

I kind of overdid it with too much Gorilla tape over the spars and too much laminate, too much glue and hot glue!! (first ritewing build LOL)

SO I went to weight the final weight zephyr with all the equipment and bats ready to fly weight is just over 6lbs!!

I've heard of maybe one person with a zeph around 6lbs? Does anyone here have experience flying heavier zephyrs'

Klique said that it should fly well even at this weight, but I was curious if anyone else is flying this heavy on an FPV system. What type of flite time and speeds are you getting at that weight, and how are the flight characteristics?

I have a crazy motor on this thing turnigy 3648 1450kv 3-6S 1600W!!! (180g) going to use a 9x6 prop and a 10x7 should be enough thrust
and a 100a Hobbywing flyfun ESC. SO I should be able to power this thing pretty well!!

Whats the heaviest setup you guys have seen or flown??

Thanks for your help!!
I have a 4lbs zephyr with that motor setup. Its going to loud. I could get it to 100mph level. 106 amp max. I tried a 100 amp esc. Did not cut it. Had to use 200amp esc.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old May 02, 2012, 06:01 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Beautiful video brosius85! Wanna share your new ZII set-up with us?
Old May 02, 2012, 06:10 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
lol

thanks ian

we ll if you are gonna twist my arm....

ritewing 1300kv outrunner, ritewing 85A esc, nanotech 4s 3300's, 10x5 cam carbon aeronaut folder

TBS69 camera, TBS-EzOSD, TBS-PSU, EzUHF, Lm2.4 500mw Vtx

i think that about covers it

im thinking of going CP this time too...... maybe just on my D40 for a start.
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old May 02, 2012, 06:16 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Very nice! I hope TBS will be chucking in a free t-shirt with all that gear!
Old May 02, 2012, 07:29 AM
United Kingdom, England, Darlington
Joined Feb 2011
24 Posts
Ian,

I'm in the UK as well and when I saw spackle mentioned some time back I checked what was available and ended up using some lightweight filler which I think is the same stuff.

I got mine from B&Q, when I picked the tub up I thought it was empty it was so light !

Can't find a link on their site but this is similar from Screwfix
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...ler-1ltr/88504

PK
pk surfing is offline Find More Posts by pk surfing
Old May 02, 2012, 07:38 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk surfing View Post
Ian,

I'm in the UK as well and when I saw spackle mentioned some time back I checked what was available and ended up using some lightweight filler which I think is the same stuff.

I got mine from B&Q, when I picked the tub up I thought it was empty it was so light !

Can't find a link on their site but this is similar from Screwfix
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...ler-1ltr/88504

PK
Ahhh, excellent - many thanks for the info !!

Does it stick well to EPO foam? I just can't imagine DIY filler being that flexible?
Old May 02, 2012, 07:42 AM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Ok thanks guys for the info. tracking shows out for delivery can't wait to get started on this build
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old May 02, 2012, 07:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Darlington
Joined Feb 2011
24 Posts
Haven't used it on my Z2 but have used it for repairing dings and dents on my Roo and Skywalker, fills them fine and sands well and is very light, it's weird stuff to spread on as it is so light.

Might be best if you gave it a try on a small area and report back !

PK
pk surfing is offline Find More Posts by pk surfing