HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:10 AM
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
5,655 Posts
yeah the weight and pita of installing retracts has me a bit reticent about it. But it would be very convenient. I really don't want to have to carry a whole lot of crap to the flying field. But a cart would be dead easy to make and no worry about weight or weakening the wing with retracts...but then I worry about the plane bouncing off the cart on the takeoff run since my field is pretty rough.

Really, i just have to get onto launching it by myself. Some guys make it look so easy and I know I can do it. Today I only had the one chance, and a wreck ended the day for that wing. (Note I have had a couple great flights already, with me throwing the plane and a friend on the sticks)
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:14 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
damage today upon launch today. I had a volunteer throw it off a cliff for me. Now I admit not informing him to take a run at it and really heave it, but it just puked out and the battery pushed the camera box right off. OK only 20 minutes to fix it isn't too bad, but no flight means I am bummed.

That is it, I am either putting retracts or building a takeoff cart for it NOW.

meanwhile had some great FPV flight with my EPP Eagle today .. just really slow compared to the Zeph.
I'm imagining your instructions: "run right up to the edge of the cliff..."
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:01 AM
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
5,655 Posts
well it is more like a bowl, 10 ft drop total, maybe 30 degree slope
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:22 AM
There's magic in those wings !
khaled_abobakr's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
4,839 Posts
Wow .. I didn't realize that it is to dangerous .. to throw it powered like that .. you're right .. although this is the most convenient way for me .. and my launch technique forces my hand to be synchronized with the ZII it has to be always bowing forward and downwards ... so it is really not that close to the prop .....

I guess it is the same magic in those beautiful yet dangerous machines that we love to work with yet don't realize how dangerous they are ...

I'll see what I can do about that in the near future

Thanks for warning me .. yes I've been warned ...

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:33 AM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
damage today upon launch today. I had a volunteer throw it off a cliff for me. Now I admit not informing him to take a run at it and really heave it, but it just puked out and the battery pushed the camera box right off. OK only 20 minutes to fix it isn't too bad, but no flight means I am bummed.

That is it, I am either putting retracts or building a takeoff cart for it NOW.

meanwhile had some great FPV flight with my EPP Eagle today .. just really slow compared to the Zeph.
Hey there BC, sorry about your crash. Are you launching full throttle. I have a few zeph 2's. All with the 320 motor. Launching it myself, no running, just full power, holding the wing from the nose and throwing it over head they just go. Most of the time I dont even need to touch the sticks for the first 10 secs of flight
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:16 PM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrob61 View Post
Hey there BC, sorry about your crash. Are you launching full throttle. I have a few zeph 2's. All with the 320 motor. Launching it myself, no running, just full power, holding the wing from the nose and throwing it over head they just go. Most of the time I dont even need to touch the sticks for the first 10 secs of flight
+1 don't build retracts or even a bungee launch. you must try it this way before you give up. I too had a problem launching on my first attempt to maiden, we tried it this way ronrob is suggesting on the next time around and I have not had a failed launch since the first maiden attempt.

also, I might add. I'm half retarded
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:21 PM
I'd FPV it.
Ho-Jazz's Avatar
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,844 Posts
Here goes the vid from the paintball shoot at this years SEFF. Z2'S dominated this event taking multiple shots and still flying. The pink FFF wings did not have a chance, all day they worked on em while we flew the zeph! You can see what we ended up doing with the pink wings at the end...
SEFF 2012 Paintball Shoot (7 min 47 sec)
Ho-Jazz is offline Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 12:29 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
hotdog1's Avatar
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
quick question guys how can I make my ZII have a very smooth finish do I need to spackle the foam with foam putty then sand before putting the 3m90 and lam on ?
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 12:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
yup just fill holes with light spackle and sand the heck outta it
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 01, 2012, 12:53 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Dont put 3 m 90 on it , use 77 or 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
quick question guys how can I make my ZII have a very smooth finish do I need to spackle the foam with foam putty then sand before putting the 3m90 and lam on ?
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 01:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Ill add too mask off anything you don't want sticky especially when joining the wing, I spent an hour prior to lam. Picking cat hair off mine grr....
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 01, 2012, 04:40 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
hotdog1's Avatar
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
Dont put 3 m 90 on it , use 77 or 200
I also have some Elemers spray adhesive laying around, is that ok or should i go out and buy the 3m77 ? would that be a better choice ?
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 04:41 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
hotdog1's Avatar
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintz2007 View Post
Ill add too mask off anything you don't want sticky especially when joining the wing, I spent an hour prior to lam. Picking cat hair off mine grr....
LOL thanks for that tip I have a dog that sheds alot
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 05:16 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Have you read the pdf directions on the first post of this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
I also have some Elemers spray adhesive laying around, is that ok or should i go out and buy the 3m77 ? would that be a better choice ?
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 06:28 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
hotdog1's Avatar
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
Have you read the pdf directions on the first post of this thread?

Yes , but in a earlier post you said that you have used.elemers with good results so I am asking what would be a better choice . I assume that elemers has less solvents in it than the 3m77
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Building the ultimate Ritewing Zephyr ThomasWF FPV Talk 34 Feb 20, 2012 05:14 PM
Discussion wing thickness ritewing zephyr Herishi The Builders Workshop 2 Oct 05, 2011 08:36 AM
Discussion Ritewing Zephyr hobbycity motor nexstarselect FPV Talk 2 Mar 07, 2011 04:37 PM