HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrob61 View Post
No Problem Vince. I work direct with Chris and do the ZII arf builds as well. We make sure to program all the escs before they ship.(break on) If you ever have any build questions feel free to hit me up. IM me here or email me at ritewingbuilds@gmail.com
Ron
Thanks Ron. I appreciate both yours and Chris's help.

I have to admit I think the ZII is one impressive plane. It's not only me that thinks that. I now have about half a dozen of my friends that are really like it and a few are thinking of getting one. They all want to help me maiden it which with luck will happen very soon.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:20 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,801 Posts
Thanks chris , and Thanks to you to Mike .. I'll keep that in mind ..

I thought flying a wing will be a lot more different that flying a conventional Plane .. but I'm glad that it wasn't that difficult ..

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is online now Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:01 AM
FPV nut
Sorrento, FL
Joined Nov 2010
702 Posts
So, in my relentless search to find out what happened to my Z2, I have made some major headway. This passed someone called and said they found my plane. I went to the site to find it completely split in . I assumed that someone looted it bc it was over a mile from where the video went out. Well, this morning I went out and walked the path from where I lost video and found my motor over a mile from where I found the plane. Unreal. I am still looking for the batteries and the RUBY. But, fact is, the plane broke apart and the foam drifted a over a mile in the wind.
Name: zephyrfound.jpg
Views: 143
Size: 275.5 KB
Description:
Name: motor found.jpg
Views: 130
Size: 267.9 KB
Description:
Name: IMG_2631[1].jpg
Views: 181
Size: 256.9 KB
Description:
Name: IMG_2624[1].jpg
Views: 178
Size: 229.0 KB
Description:
traderdmb is offline Find More Posts by traderdmb
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2007
22 Posts
Incredible.
skotch40 is offline Find More Posts by skotch40
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:47 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
It's amazing that you found it at all.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
88 Posts
man, you are quite the detective, impressive how your piecing this together. If I ever loose a contact lense, im calling you in on the case!
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Thanks Ron. I appreciate both yours and Chris's help.

I have to admit I think the ZII is one impressive plane. It's not only me that thinks that. I now have about half a dozen of my friends that are really like it and a few are thinking of getting one. They all want to help me maiden it which with luck will happen very soon.

Vince
Well Vince, if any of your friends are interested and not into doing the build, send them my way. I'll hook them up with great builds that need about 30mins of set up and they will be maidening there own ZIIs
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:22 PM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderdmb View Post
So, in my relentless search to find out what happened to my Z2, I have made some major headway. This passed someone called and said they found my plane. I went to the site to find it completely split in . I assumed that someone looted it bc it was over a mile from where the video went out. Well, this morning I went out and walked the path from where I lost video and found my motor over a mile from where I found the plane. Unreal. I am still looking for the batteries and the RUBY. But, fact is, the plane broke apart and the foam drifted a over a mile in the wind.
Attachment 4808411
Attachment 4808410
Attachment 4808413
Attachment 4808414
Ouch .. This looks so bad ...

What do you think was wrong with your build .... greatly overpowered that the air frame couldn't handle it .. extremely high G maneuver ... weakened motor area by opening slits too close to the motor mount ..

I definitely hope you avoid such a disaster in your next ZII ... and I hope this doesn't happen to anyone too ..

Good luck next time ...

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is online now Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderdmb View Post
Attachment 4808411
Attachment 4808410
Attachment 4808413
Attachment 4808414
You got me interested in your investigation. Correct me if I am wrong with the first 4 steps.

1.Your flight pattern was toward the East as usual.
2.Somewhere out toward the East the video died and the plane was lost.
3.You found your motor about 1/2 mile East of your starting point.
4.Someone found your destroyed plane about 1mile N West of the motor location.
5. Depending on the altitude the plane was at when it broke up (and the direction of the wind) I guess it could have drifted that far to the West.

I presume the batteries went down somewhere East of where you found the motor. If they were still on the ZII after the motor left, I don't think it would have drifted that far West due to the extra weight.

How windy was it during the flight?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:23 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
And what was the motor prop batt esc setup??

Do you have detailed pix of you build process , I have pushed mine uber fast with no issues ever, I am just trying to figure why she would have come apart.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:13 PM
FPV nut
Sorrento, FL
Joined Nov 2010
702 Posts
I don't think this was a problem with the z or my build other than I mounted the camera in a VERY stupid spot. I was heading west at about 4-5000 feet and I decided to dive straight down. I think the camera broke loose in the dive. After losing video, I pulled full up elevon and created rediculous Gs. I think that is when she folded. I had 2 3200 4s lipos in the middle. 8 gs at the moment could have created as much as 60 lbs on the center of the airframe. If she was diving at say 140 mph, a full up elev could have easily created 6 - 8 gs. It was all my fault without a doubt. It had nothing to do with the design of the Z. The ruby had no chance bringing this thing home. It was Very windy from the east. No doubt that this foam could drift 1 mile from 3-4000 feet.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:19 PM
FPV nut
Sorrento, FL
Joined Nov 2010
702 Posts
On a lighter note, Don and I had 2 sweet tandem Z2 flights today (video to follow soon). CK was nice enough to help out a bit with a discount on a replacement Z. Thank Chris! I'm back in the air and my new Z will be at the Pecan Patch in June!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:37 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Its all good I like to keep the Ritewing Nation happy.
You are welcome buddy, cant wait to see the vid.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:39 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
And what was the motor prop batt esc setup??

Do you have detailed pix of you build process , I have pushed mine uber fast with no issues ever, I am just trying to figure why she would have come apart.
Earth's atmosphere is very dense, she probably broke up during re-entry..
chicken sashimi is offline Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:23 PM
norway
Joined Oct 2009
1,133 Posts
Hey guys.
I finally tok the leap and ordered a Z2
Im looking at this covering film
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250964254951...=p5197.c0.m619

Does anyone know how many of those i need to order?

Cheers.
fpv-tor is offline Find More Posts by fpv-tor