HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
my ritewing motor came with a collar + grub screw, just put that on there it will not be able to move. or if you are really worried and dont have the collar just turn the motor around, so it pushes back
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:31 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
Is it like this stuff?

http://www.binding101.com/25x250-school-film.html

Do you know the thickness? I see 1.5 ml and 3 mil.
Not sure the differences in brands.

The Klique specs the plane to be built with 2 or 3 thicknesses on different parts. 3 mil for the wings, 10 mil under the centre, etc. I just bought a roll of the 3 mil, and then triple laminated the centre section and double laminated the leading edges. I think with the coroplast skids added, the need for 10 mil in the centre is less because you won't be landing directly on the lam.

this is what I bought. Just chose the smallest quantity they had. Used a household iron on approx mid level heat setting.

http://www.usi-laminate.com/store/wp...p?idProduct=86
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
my ritewing motor came with a collar + grub screw, just put that on there it will not be able to move. or if you are really worried and dont have the collar just turn the motor around, so it pushes back
Mine also came with a collar. I have it mounted on the 5mm shaft right up against the c clamp. 1st picture

The motor still moves the distance between the clamp and the base. You can see that gap in the second and 3rd picture where I removed the collar.

I guess I never paid attention before to the amount of movement of the motor. I just want to know if this is a problem or not. Thanks
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Hi guys, im looking for Graupner 70A ESC, you can see it in trappy´s zephyr 2 build log tutorial. I want to buy it but I cant find it, Do you know if Trappy sell it?
jonpeter is offline Find More Posts by jonpeter
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:40 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
yep he will probably sell one to to you.

email him on their webpage
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
hmmm

eagle maybe you can pull the c-clip off and just rely on the collet.

although it is probably not a real issue, just maybe 1 % in less efficiency.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
hmmm

eagle maybe you can pull the c-clip off and just rely on the collet.

although it is probably not a real issue, just maybe 1 % in less efficiency.
I'm not to worried about efficiency loss. I did not want to tear into the new motor unless someone indicated that it was having an issue.

If the movement is a non issue then I'm ok. Both the c-clip and collar should keep the motor shaft from pulling all the way out.

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:43 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Shaft

Just for fun I pulled the grub screw on the bell end of the motor shaft and removed it and loctited it for fun, I think one guys said you can pull the c clip and remove the shaft and slide it in so the clip part is inside the motor , then st the thrust coller where the c clip was.

This will help the shaft from snapping on a prop strike , hard landing , or a prop ballance issue , the weakest part of the shaft is at the c clip , so why not get it out of the equasion.

Eagle , bend the wires and roll the motor so they are like this.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
Just for fun I pulled the grub screw on the bell end of the motor shaft and removed it and loctited it for fun, I think one guys said you can pull the c clip and remove the shaft and slide it in so the clip part is inside the motor , then st the thrust coller where the c clip was.

This will help the shaft from snapping on a prop strike , hard landing , or a prop ballance issue , the weakest part of the shaft is at the c clip , so why not get it out of the equasion.

Sounds like a plan. I will make both those changes. Thanks

Next question concerns the motor brake.

Do I need to program a brake into the ESC and if so with what type card should I use?

Vince
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:59 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
a brake helps with gliding and not breaking props on landing.

you can use a turnigy card or.....

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ll=1#post82762
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:41 AM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
Well after my long trip away I finally got a chance to fly my ZII again..... I got the 4 cell batteries and cut them in and everything balanced out real nice. Somehow I overlooked something and a beautiful flight it wasn't. It crashed pretty hard and I'll need to rebuild the front end. Nothing damaged but foam. A bit disappointing! The last flight before I left was like it was on rails! But his time it climbed and stalled, I was unable to control it. Oh well...Where do you find EPO foam to replace mashed stuff? ~Wingnut13

I figured out what went wrong while I was falling asleep..... Last flight was without a folding prop, when I landed the prop dug in and bent the motor mount. Apparently too much up thrust, someday I'll have it all figured out.
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Last edited by Wingnut13; Apr 18, 2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: revelation
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
a brake helps with gliding and not breaking props on landing.

you can use a turnigy card or.....

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ll=1#post82762
LOL. I guess I need to be clearer with my questions. As much as I would like to have something keep my prop from breaking I understand that could be difficult.

I wanted to make sure the prop does not free spin when I am gliding which would add drag especially if and when I go to a folding prop.

If the turnigy card works for the Ritewing ESC then great. I will get one. Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
I can't contain my excitement! I have been going on journeys with the media guy from Primary Weapons Systems here in Boise. Getting some rad shots, with fancy cameras and a steadicam. Debating on a tune to use now... I really really hate dubstep but it's so fun to edit to. I love the shot of my buddy Dan launching my zephyr how it kicks up a bunch of dirt.

just random edit we did
http://coriolis-institute.com/videos/dubwub.mp4
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:38 PM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post

Wow .. Chris .. this is a super sports flying wing .. I can almost hear the roaring sound when you start the engine... there must be a Ferrari somewhere on that rocket .. ... Ritewing stands for fine details .. and professional building techniques ...

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:45 PM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
On another note I remember Rockflyer .. mentioned once in one of his videos reviewing the ZII that the original 1300kv motor is rated for 700 watts but he was getting 1800 out of it ..

How can you do that .. ??

If when you use WOT .. your Wattmeter shows a max of 800 watts for example .. so to me it looks this is the max I can get .. unless I use a different prop .. maybe larger in diamter or pitch until I hit the 1800 watts ..

I know it's a newbie question.. so please forgive me I just wanna learn nothing more .. I'm not even gonna try it .. just wanna know ..

Thanks a lot

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr