very tidy work spine! love it. many good elements and executed well
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
Mr. Breeze
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,733 Posts
Nice work there spine. Very tidy and clean.
Ands...I'm not sure what there is to attempt? Get a zeph, build and fly. You would be surprised at how easy the build and flying is.
Ho-Jazz is offline Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:39 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
Epox ZII

Some PIX

https://picasaweb.google.com/1086962...at=directlink#
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Last edited by klique; Apr 12, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:32 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
404 Not_Found
verticalspark is online now Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:27 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,882 Posts
Well the build took longer than I expected, with many shipment delays and technical snags. Not as pretty as others, but then all my decorative covering materials are still in transit.

Ready to fly I hope - probably will attempt a maiden tomorrow! Everything installed and set up, including the Eagle Tree OSD with stabilization which I had been flying in another plane - hoping it will ease me into the flying wing experience. set the elevons to about 10mm up and 7mm down. Plan to put stabilization gain on a potentiometer.

Built to be a bit lighter and not really fast compared to you guys running 4S. Still eCalc has it powered at about 75% static thrust to weight, which is reasonable imho. Came it at 2.1Kg with a 6000mah 3S battery squeezed into the front hatch with ESC, UBEC and video battery. OSD components in the back hatch and out on the right wing. Dragonlink on the right wing also. 1.3 Lawmate on the left wing.

The CG came out right where the company ordered - 3.5 inches ahead of the motor cutout, right??. If so that was lucky. Also balanced right/left just fine.

The skids were dipped in red Plastidip.Not surehow that will do the job yet.

Lots of LEDs for twilight and night flying - extra row of whites on the bottom for orientation.

Video cabling run on the left wing away from all the power system items in the front hatch. Also a LC filter and ferrite going into the vTx.

Yes, Iammed over everything, except for the vTx of course

BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Apr 12, 2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:36 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
404 Not_Found
try this one

https://picasaweb.google.com/1086962...eat=directlink
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:48 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
Get rid of that prop it will fail and rip off the motor mout and the rear of the plane when it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
Well the build took longer than I expected, with many shipment delays and technical snags. Not as pretty as others, but then all my decorative covering materials are still in transit.

Ready to fly I hope - probably will attempt a maiden tomorrow! Everything installed and set up, including the Eagle Tree OSD with stabilization which I had been flying in another plane - hoping it will ease me into the flying wing experience. set the elevons to about 10mm up and 7mm down. Plan to put stabilization gain on a potentiometer.

Built to be a bit lighter and not really fast compared to you guys running 4S. Still eCalc has it powered at about 75% static thrust to weight, which is reasonable imho. Came it at 2.1Kg with a 6000mah 3S battery squeezed into the front hatch with ESC, UBEC and video battery. OSD components in the back hatch and out on the right wing. Dragonlink on the right wing also. 1.3 Lawmate on the left wing.

The CG came out right where the company ordered - 3.5 inches ahead of the motor cutout, right??. If so that was lucky. Also balanced right/left just fine.

The skids were dipped in red Plastidip.Not surehow that will do the job yet.

Lots of LEDs for twilight and night flying - extra row of whites on the bottom for orientation.

Video cabling run on the left wing away from all the power system items in the front hatch. Also a LC filter and ferrite going into the vTx.

Yes, Iammed over everything, except for the vTx of course

Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,665 Posts
Quote:
SWEET!!!
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,882 Posts
Klique: OK, you don't recommend the APC folding prop - is it known to fail because the yoke is plastic?

I have a couple other folding props on hand, I could use, but not the ideal size prop (I have 9x6, but this apc is 8.5x5). Truth is it was difficult to find just the right length and pitch. I wanted Graupner, but could not find the right combo even online. The LHS had this APC, so... maybe the maiden will be with a sacrificial non-folder.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Apr 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
Yes , they have been know to fail with serious destruction aound them .
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Aug 2009
30 Posts
Motor mount

Just want to double-check. I have three machine screws with loctite going through the metal mount, and into the motor. I've already been flying quite a bit, but I'm interested to hear if there's a more reliable way.

I initially had some problems with them working loose, but they seem to have settled in.

Thanks!

JC
cherbini is offline Find More Posts by cherbini
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Yes , they have been know to fail with serious destruction aound them .
is it possible to boil them to soften the plastic a little so it gives? this was out there when i started flying 6 years ago, havent done it in a long time though..

I also got my hands on 1 hs 645, and i noticed it has some slop in the gear train, any way to get it out some?
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:55 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
use a loooooong elevon horn to minimise slop effects
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbini View Post
Just want to double-check. I have three machine screws with loctite going through the metal mount, and into the motor. I've already been flying quite a bit, but I'm interested to hear if there's a more reliable way.

I initially had some problems with them working loose, but they seem to have settled in.

Thanks!

JC
if anything is working loose chances are you have vibrations on the plane, balance everything properly to keep all contacts tight (including screws)
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
i have about 3/4 in of horn (dubro 4-40 threaded) and the linkage as close as i can get it without binding orcutting out foam
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)