Joined Oct 2011
25 Posts
Guys,

I started this thread to talk about the new Blade 450 X 3D. Not to talk about:
  • What we do in our spare time.
  • What our avatar looks like.
  • Which helicopter company is best.
  • How many packs we flew this morning.
Okay? I just want to have us all get along...and talk about the hobby that we all enjoy. Specifically the Blade 450 X. Let's not make it a competition of who is better, but rather a discussion we can all talk about.

Capisci?

Thanks guys.

Flybarless
FlybarlessMatt is offline Find More Posts by FlybarlessMatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:56 PM
Build, Fly, Crash. Repeat.
Joined May 2011
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlybarlessMatt View Post
Guys,

I started this thread to talk about the new Blade 450 X 3D. Not to talk about:
  • What we do in our spare time.
  • What our avatar looks like.
  • Which helicopter company is best.
  • How many packs we flew this morning.
Okay? I just want to have us all get along...and talk about the hobby that we all enjoy. Specifically the Blade 450 X. Let's not make it a competition of who is better, but rather a discussion we can all talk about.

Capisci?

Thanks guys.

Flybarless
Agreed!

What are your guys thoughts about upgrading a flybarred B450 with an AR7200BX and a spare FBL head purchased separately?
nick_onelove is offline Find More Posts by nick_onelove
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_onelove View Post
What are your guys thoughts about upgrading a flybarred B450 with an AR7200BX and a spare FBL head purchased separately?
Not worth it if you run the numbers, which is quite easily done if you'd looked at Horizon's parts list. Over $400 from a box stock B450 to a box stock B450 X.

$240 for RX/BeastX unit
$80 for FBL head parts (can't buy the head as a complete unit...yet)
$34 for carbon fiber blades
$48 for 440 motor

Well over $400 if you throw in the new canopy, too, to make it exactly like a B450 X. Even without the new canopy, blades and motor, which aren't required, it's still not worth it over just buying the new heli outright because you know prices will be well under $499 soon enough next year. I'd rather spend the extra and have two complete flyable Blades in the 450 class.
mhunter is offline Find More Posts by mhunter
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:26 PM
iFlybarless
Joined Oct 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
Not worth it if you run the numbers, which is quite easily done if you'd looked at Horizon's parts list. Over $400 from a box stock B450 to a box stock B450 X.

$240 for RX/BeastX unit
$80 for FBL head parts (can't buy the head as a complete unit...yet)
$34 for carbon fiber blades
$48 for 440 motor

Well over $400 if you throw in the new canopy, too, to make it exactly like a B450 X. Even without the new canopy, blades and motor, which aren't required, it's still not worth it over just buying the new heli outright because you know prices will be well under $499 soon enough next year. I'd rather spend the extra and have two complete flyable Blades in the 450 class.
Gotta agree with this one. Though in hindsight, I wished I would have saved a little longer to get this one. I'm a flybarless fanboy. I think I might have to save a little more to get this one, but not worth trying to upgrade it from the regular one. And I also have a thing for Beast X...

Flybarless
FlybarlessMatt is offline Find More Posts by FlybarlessMatt
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlybarlessMatt View Post
Gotta agree with this one. Though in hindsight, I wished I would have saved a little longer to get this one.
Well, who knew this was even in the works until this week? Nobody outside of Horizon... Also, Dribbe (HH employee) said on another forum that it actually may not be available for sale until after the first of the year instead of late November, as listed, so who knows... Ya just have to buy what you like when you can and with what's available without any amplifying information about future releases like everyone else.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:37 PM
Tail-in hover expert ;)
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Aug 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
I never said a belt driven tail was bad. So, based on that ONE competition, please list all the other ones that were topped with competitors flying TT helis for side-by-side comparison.
I was just making a point that this statement of yours is incorrect.
Quote:
... A great many serious, hardcore heli pilots aren't going to want a belt tail....
mediclavina is offline Find More Posts by mediclavina
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
As an owner of a Blade mSR as my first heli for a month, I drool over stuff already that i couldn't possibly fly.....yet.
But i can see where this heli would be a decent seller, And here is why.

My next move is a MCP X or similar if not just a bit bigger, No SR thanks to the bad reports ive read here. But the point is, Im used to buying parts and working on Blade products.
Some people stay brand loyal as they trust it.

Also, HH gives alot of bang for the buck in bundled packages which is hard to resist by noobs.

I fly alone and indoors only now, But hope to move outside if i get out of my darn lazy boy and fly my mSR there. People like that don't fly with clubs or other people and have a slower learning curve concerning upgrading. The internet is my only savior.

I happen to like this heli, And by the time im ready for one the price will be much lower.
But i do realize they use (Less than standard) servo's and parts at times to keep costs down. That from what ive learned can only be avoided by buying a heli 3x the price or build your own.

Looking at the 450 X 3D, Id much rather try and fly that and then crash it than i would a TREX that cost much more. Its less intimidating. Ok, this noob will shut up, As 1 month of flying don't give my opinions much weight when talking about higher end heli's like this.

But i like it, Especially when the price becomes competitive.
DasFriek is offline Find More Posts by DasFriek
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:51 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cferrell View Post
Your first point is true. Blade is for a novice (hence the coax machines). They provide several options for upgrade in different helis.

They will own the market. Most people don't buy align, they go to a lhs and buy a fully built, ready to fly blade. Most people in the hobby are noobs, not 3d fliers.

Most of the market isn't heavy 3d.
I don't understand how you think blade will own the market? As for what "most people" buy.... again do you own a hobby store so know what "most people" buy?

I will agree that most people have owned a blade in the past (or still do own one of their micros) but you grow past that and move on to larger or better helis. Since Blade doesn't make anything larger than 450 (and the 400 was only relased a couple of years ago) and a significant portion of the market is 500 or larger what exactly do you think all those pilots fly.

Noobs making comments based on the small part of the hobby they've seen always blow my mind on how much they know.... I suggest you go over to helifreak sometime and take a look at the long list of manufacturers out there, most of them won't be familiar for those who have only flown blade helis. I'm not trying to be mean but yes, in NA blade owns the beginner market and that's what you see most of, you like it and trust it so you keep buying it then Align comes onto your horizon and they become the next "best' thing then you start looking at and reading more about all these other larger models like Mikado, JR, MA, MSHeli, Rave... etc. and you realize... damn there are a LOT of helis out there.

Anyway, this thread has gone way off track and is no longer about the 450 x, hopefully once it's released a better thread will start up.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Last edited by Druss; Oct 21, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediclavina View Post
I was just making a point that this statement of yours is incorrect.
And, you are absolutely wrong. I said a great many serious heli pilots aren't going to want a belt tail. Do you really disagree with that? Because, if so, you're the one who's dead wrong here. Please explain why so many choose a TT setup?

I never said ALL of them...or even most of them...or even half of them... I just referenced a lot of them...there is a difference from what you incorrectly assumed.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:24 AM
Joined May 2011
314 Posts
$80 bucks for an FBL head?! And would you really need to get the upgrade motor?

What about just getting a spare AR7200BX and some generic FBL 450 head?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_onelove View Post
$80 bucks for an FBL head?! And would you really need to get the upgrade motor?

What about just getting a spare AR7200BX and some generic FBL 450 head?
Yes, $80 for a FBL head from Blade parts. Head block, washout arms/base, blade grips, feathering spindle, mainshaft, etc. None of that is compatible with the existing B450 3D. The head block and washout assembly alone are about $45-50 right there... It is what it is, whether it's too expensive for you or not...

I specifically said the upgrade motor wasn't needed. Nor were the carbon fiber blades since so many fly with them already. Apparently, you misread (or completely missed) that last part of my "run down" post. I specifically posted about converting a B450 3D to a B450 X, so that didn't include anything "generic". If you want to go "generic", then use any RX and 3 axis stabilization system you want. Better yet...do your OWN cost/benefit analysis. I'm sure you can do it. It really isn't that hard and and only you know your financial situation and what you're willing to put forth for a specific application.

For ME, at basically 1/2 the price for a full Blade 450 X for just the RX/BeastX unit... I don't think it's worth it to convert a used B450 3D and still only end up with one flyable heli, especially when prices come down after it's been available for a while...and you know they will. The B450 3D hasn't even been available for a year and I've seem them under $250 on-line at Ampdraw Hobbies and other places.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:48 PM
Tail-in hover expert ;)
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Aug 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
And, you are absolutely wrong. I said a great many serious heli pilots aren't going to want a belt tail. Do you really disagree with that? Because, if so, you're the one who's dead wrong here. Please explain why so many choose a TT setup?

I never said ALL of them...or even most of them...or even half of them... I just referenced a lot of them...there is a difference from what you incorrectly assumed.
So you think by making the Blade 450 tail torque tube driven instead of belt, those hardcore heli pilots would buy it? You definitely don't know much about this hobby.
mediclavina is offline Find More Posts by mediclavina
Last edited by mediclavina; Oct 22, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:10 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediclavina View Post
So you think by making the Blade 450 tail torque tube driven instead of belt, those hardcore heli pilots would buy it? You definitely don't know much about this hobby.
for sure!! they will shelf their Avants and Rexs and CY Raves and Jokers and say " look mom no flybar and a TT from horizon!!" pfft. this stuff is really a turn off as far as RCG goes... makes me want to just walk away from the site alltogether.
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
Blade is the best. ever.

also, pigs can fly ..

I was hoping for a 120ish sized FBL though.
sirs69 is offline Find More Posts by sirs69
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined May 2011
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy View Post
for sure!! they will shelf their Avants and Rexs and CY Raves and Jokers and say " look mom no flybar and a TT from horizon!!" pfft. this stuff is really a turn off as far as RCG goes... makes me want to just walk away from the site alltogether.

For real, this forum is just no fun with mhunter. You can't say anything without him making some judgmental comment.