United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Dig the canopy Diesel!
what motor are you running in your 450?
and how are you liking the Pulse packs?
Scorpion -8 on one and stock on the second. The second just sits for spare though.

Love the pulse packs!
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:17 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,818 Posts
Brought my pinion gear to the shop teacher at my school. He has the best cutting tools.

I'm going to cut my pinion gear down 3mm and then hopefully flt this thing with the Scorpion 2221-8.

I can't wait to try it out.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:30 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Brought my pinion gear to the shop teacher at my school. He has the best cutting tools.

I'm going to cut my pinion gear down 3mm and then hopefully flt this thing with the Scorpion 2221-8.

I can't wait to try it out.
Did you remove this yet?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:39 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
Did you remove this yet?
That is part of the pinion gear. There is no collar

I am taking off 3mm today at my school's Metal shop. Dude has all kinds of cool cutting tools.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:11 AM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,009 Posts
Quote:
That is part of the pinion gear. There is no collar

I am taking off 3mm today at my school's Metal shop. Dude has all kinds of cool cutting tools.
New one to me. I've never seen a pinon with that. As long as you git figured out.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:28 AM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
Instead of cutting that built in collar off, try that pinion upside down.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:56 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,818 Posts
I got the pinion to work. I cut it down and raised the motor off of the block with a couple of washers.

That motor barely fits this heli

My newest concern is the clearance between the main gear and the heli frame. I can see there has been some contact in flight. There is only a mm of space max.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I know it wasn't that close before.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:18 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,818 Posts
First flights with the Scorpion 2221-8 12T

Ok, so my heli seems underpowered compared to stock. The high winds could have been a factor, and they didn't make for a good day for setting Gyro Gain.

Can somebody chime in that is using the same Scorpion motor with the 12T pinion,

What is your Gyro sensitivity set to??? Normal? Stunt?

What are your throttle curves set to ??
Normal, Stunt 1, Stunt 2?

I am getting way lower RPM's with this setup. I have no clue how to mess with E-Flite ESC's either. I will probably be looking for a Castle ESC to drop in.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:35 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so my heli seems underpowered compared to stock. The high winds could have been a factor, and they didn't make for a good day for setting Gyro Gain.

Can somebody chime in that is using the same Scorpion motor with the 12T pinion,

What is your Gyro sensitivity set to??? Normal? Stunt?

What are your throttle curves set to ??
Normal, Stunt 1, Stunt 2?

I am getting way lower RPM's with this setup. I have no clue how to mess with E-Flite ESC's either. I will probably be looking for a Castle ESC to drop in.
Something's up then. My Scorpion setup had a lot of power.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:23 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,228 Posts
450X Maiden

Spent the weekend programing my transmitter and preflighting the 450X. Seeing a favorable weather forecast for today, (if you want to call sunny, 30 degrees, and a cold breeze from the NW @ 5 to 10mph a favorable forecast) I decided to take the 450X with me to work should a lunchtime flight opportunity present itself. I was able to sneak away and put a couple flights on the 450X and was quite impressed with how smooth and stable it flies. The controls reacted much quicker than the nano and 130x I have been flying and was pleasently startled by how much power it has even compared to the glow powered helicopters I flew in the early 90's. I did a few close in circuits then switched into IU2 and turned it loose a little. I did some big sky loops, rolls and stall turns followed by some close in forward and backward flips. I also threw a little low level nose in inverted hovering in for good measure.

The second flight was more of the same but by then my old thumbs were getting a bit stiff so I called it a day. Everything looks to be pretty smooth out of the box with just a slight indication of tailwag. I'll wait to fly it on a calm (and warmer) day to confirm if I need to knock the T/R gain down a notch or two. The sky today was a deep blue and while the canopy wasn't invisible it would be nice to have something with more yellow on it so a grandpa like me can see it a little better. As I get more comfortable with it I'll add in the maneuvers I have been doing with the Nano-cpx at our indoor sessions including inverted forward and backwards circuits, inverted tail-down funnels and some very sloppy piro-flips. All in all I'm looking forward to a lot of flight time with this spring and summer. Once the weather breaks a little I'll try and post some video.

dawg
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:51 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
The sky today was a deep blue and while the canopy wasn't invisible it would be nice to have something with more yellow on it so a grandpa like me can see it a little better.
I'm no grampy and I have enough trouble with the stock canopy. I ended up putting some nice bright red and yellow Red Bull decals on mine seeing as how it's already the colors of a Red Bull can.. and because I'm addicted to the stuff
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:21 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,818 Posts
I finally got to fly my 450x with the Scorpion 2221-8. Overall it flew ok.

I think I need to program some trim in the Beast X. It seemed to hunt back towards the tail in a hover a bit.

I also need to go back to the Transmitter setting in Parameter B. I tried out "sport" and did not like it. It was a little too tame.

Still playing with the Gyro sensitivity, but I almost have it dialed in where I want it. I had to come down a considerable amount from the stock 77% setting.

Still hard to tell but I think Ihad a little more power with the Stock motor.

IT's probably too early to tell though
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:07 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
840 Posts
My cheap ass tail servo went out on the 450x, 30' up and i got it down to about 10' and hit TH - thankfully i got her down without a scratch.

Replaced with the same servo (only because the hobby shop had one that morning) , drove back to the field, then got 3 rewarding flights in.

This is the first heli that i can do mild 3d like on the sim -

--edit only 18 flights on that servo. The LHS said they have seen a few come in with even less
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:11 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
My cheap ass tail servo went out on the 450x, 30' up and i got it down to about 10' and hit TH - thankfully i got her down without a scratch.

Replaced with the same servo (only because the hobby shop had one that morning) , drove back to the field, then got 3 rewarding flights in.

This is the first heli that i can do mild 3d like on the sim -

--edit only 18 flights on that servo. The LHS said they have seen a few come in with even less

Cool, u saved the Heli.

I would spend the $25 and upgrade the tail servo to a digital MG. It made a huge difference for me, and it will probably live through some crashes
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:51 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,523 Posts
What is the favorite tail servo for this heli?
I'm thinking of picking up a 450 3D cuz they are so cheap right now...
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55