SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Howdy, jimmiedac

No, you're right. What you missed was my blade-strike and subsequent repair (three stripped servos, bent main spindle, bent tail shaft... :-( Guess I failed to mention that.
pkeas is offline Find More Posts by pkeas
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:00 AM
United States, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeas View Post
Howdy, jimmiedac

No, you're right. What you missed was my blade-strike and subsequent repair (three stripped servos, bent main spindle, bent tail shaft... :-( Guess I failed to mention that.
...Well now I feel like a NOOB and a BOOB... Sorry for your misfortune, and I realize I am only a "Dumb Thumb" away from your same situation....the only question is not "if" but "when"....If you haven't found it already John Salt has a e-Book that addresses setting up the head on a heli with specific comments for FBL installations. I like his style and the information is very good. It's also not terribly expensive...

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/swashplate-setup.html

Regards,
J.
jimmiedac is offline Find More Posts by jimmiedac
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
I've only had a chance to hover mine for a few minutes the other day. DX8 settings by the book and it was great! Reduced IU1 to 70% for hovering and it was very smooth and tail was locked in. Even put it in rate mode in a hover and it stayed solid. Seems like a great bang for the buck for a BNF. I'm lovin it so far. Oh just one thing, I went over every screw top to bottom and they all needed to be tightened. Gave all the bearings a few drops of oil too.
Now that you mention it....giving it a once-over is a great idea! I was just so darned excited to get the 450 X, all common sense went out the window and all I wanted to do was get it into the air!!! Pretty silly of me to think the "Factory" would do everything correctly. Guess I'd better go back and do some "Due Diligence" on the fasteners and lube. Sometimes we idiots are lucky...

Regards,
J.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
It's been windy lately. I'm waiting for a nice calm day to go out and give it another whirl. Not in a huge hurry.

I'll look into the John Salt text. Thanks for the tip! In time these little setbacks will be easier to recover from (that is, I'll get good at setting the thing up again). I look at it as an "opportunity" to learn a little more about how these gizmos work :-)

One thing I learned on this round is that one can obtain replacement gear sets (EFLRDS761) for the swash-plate servos for just under $3, and they're quite easy to swap out. That's important, since I expect these little plastic gears typically strip out on blade strikes.

Cheers,

-PK
pkeas is offline Find More Posts by pkeas
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:33 PM
Australia, NSW, Bourke
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Does anyone know when the 450 X will be available to purchase in Australia ?
outbackstu is offline Find More Posts by outbackstu
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:01 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackstu View Post
Does anyone know when the 450 X will be available to purchase in Australia ?
it says early April on the web page? best bet is to check in on their facebook page and just ask the question, usually they are answered within the day

cheers chuck

http://www.facebook.com/Modelflight
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Got my 450 X last week after owning the 450 3D. HUGE difference. Never going back to a flybar. Already sold the 450 3D.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
Have had a couple hard landings with the 450 X . Striped all 3 cyclic gears both times. I was less than 3 feet off the ground hovering. Its the same gear each time. This is an awesome flying heli. The servo gear thing is getting old I'll be upgrading the weak servos. Anyone have a suggestion on servo upgrade?
jimer4444 is offline Find More Posts by jimer4444
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimer4444 View Post
Have had a couple hard landings with the 450 X . Striped all 3 cyclic gears both times. I was less than 3 feet off the ground hovering. Its the same gear each time. This is an awesome flying heli. The servo gear thing is getting old I'll be upgrading the weak servos. Anyone have a suggestion on servo upgrade?
I've had some decent luck with Align DS410M (metal gears) servos on my T-Rex 250. I got mine for about $30.00 each on e-Bay. They appear to have about the same dimensions as the E-Flight DS76's on the 450 X. Of course you can always go with hiTek DS5085MG but they are about $45.00 each... I known several folks that have just gone with Hobby King metal gear servos and seem to be content....

Regards,
J.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
I feel your pain. IMHO, servos are the Achilles heel of Horizon. I used these on my 450 3D, a Trex 250 and a Trex 450 and never had any issues. They're metal-gear so they won't strip. However, I never used them on a flybarless unit. They will certainly get taxed more from a flybarless unit then on a flybarred heli. I just checked the AR7200BX manual and it implies that analog servos like these can be used on the cyclic (page 10, gray box).

Hope this helps.

- Larry
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
I feel your pain. IMHO, servos are the Achilles heel of Horizon. I used these on my 450 3D, a Trex 250 and a Trex 450 and never had any issues. They're metal-gear so they won't strip. However, I never used them on a flybarless unit. They will certainly get taxed more from a flybarless unit then on a flybarred heli. I just checked the AR7200BX manual and it implies that analog servos like these can be used on the cyclic (page 10, gray box).

Hope this helps.

- Larry
SUPER Suggestion, Larry...I think I'll get a few "just-in-case" ......these forums are a great learning experience...thanks...

Regards,
J.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Folks over on helifreak.com are pretty happy with the Spektrum H3000 servos.
cwall64 is offline Find More Posts by cwall64
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiedac View Post
SUPER Suggestion, Larry...I think I'll get a few "just-in-case" ......these forums are a great learning experience...thanks...

Regards,
J.
FYI: All cyclic servos should be the same speed and type (digital vs. analog). Most people would strongly recommend that all three servos be the same exact model servo. At $6 a pop for those MG90S, that's no big deal.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
FYI: All cyclic servos should be the same speed and type (digital vs. analog). Most people would strongly recommend that all three servos be the same exact model servo. At $6 a pop for those MG90S, that's no big deal.
I'm thinking that these are a real possibility....like you said at that price it doesn't seem like a large issue! ...guess my only question is that, analog vs digital are there any issues????

Regards,
J.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiedac View Post
I'm thinking that these are a real possibility....like you said at that price it doesn't seem like a large issue! ...guess my only question is that, analog vs digital are there any issues????

Regards,
J.
I had the Blade 450 3D and one of the original servos seized up. The original servos (DS76) are digital. I just replaced them with the MG90S and there were no issues and I couldn't tell any difference in flight. However, the 3D didn't have the FBL control unit controlling the servos like the 450 X does. You will probably need to reconfigure the AR7200BX to use those analog servos. Also, like I mentioned before, they will get more of a workout on the 450 X since the BeastX is constantly making minor adjustments. Maybe somebody with more FBL experience can answer more confidently about using analog servos with the FBL unit.