HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:56 AM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Seems some have. I tried today with hk-282a's (orange color) and failed. They looked okay on the ground, ele, ail, and pitch all working fine. As soon as I tried to lift off the heli would just nose dive like it was possessed. I tried turning the gyros down but didn't help. The wire switching part was easy, but mounting them was a pita. Quite possible I screwed something up but I'm not going to spend anymore time on it as my stock are fine...for now at least.
So before the word gets out that these don't work anyone want to buy 8 new in package 282A servos??

You did remember to switch the gyro switch back to ON right?
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:19 AM
Registered User
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
So before the word gets out that these don't work anyone want to buy 8 new in package 282A servos??

You did remember to switch the gyro switch back to ON right?
I had the gyro on, but better to get a second opinion before setting off a fire sale.

Might be the same problem described in this thread, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1562262 ?
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:09 AM
Registered User
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.a.r.m.e.r View Post
Lol damo666 you have a great sense of humar

Heres my vid on how to bullet proof your stock walkera genius cp servos with an easy to do internal servo saver mod. That I so far have more flights then I can count on theses servos never stripped a gear again or burnt the pot from over extending the arms since :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUmii...e_gdata_player

I really hope it can help yall to because servos are expensive lol

If my video confuses you and you need help with the mod pm me or post it here

Ill try to reply asap :thumbup:

Farmer Pickle

I am surprised the mod actually worked. Usually, is the inertia of the drivetrain that breaks the gear.
At moment of impact, the drivetrain cannot react fast enough, so something has to give, and is the gears.

On mine, the failure mode of the gear teeth is in tooth bending instead of wear. Lubricant would not have done

much good.

However, there can be other factors at work here. Curious if it actually fix the breakage problem. It would be great if it does.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:44 AM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmlee View Post
I am surprised the mod actually worked. Usually, is the inertia of the drivetrain that breaks the gear.
At moment of impact, the drivetrain cannot react fast enough, so something has to give, and is the gears.

On mine, the failure mode of the gear teeth is in tooth bending instead of wear. Lubricant would not have done

much good.

However, there can be other factors at work here. Curious if it actually fix the breakage problem. It would be great if it does.
Actually you will run into at least two problems with these stock servos,, first the usual stripped/bent tooth if you are lucky it's on the last gear and you can rotate this one 180 degrees and get one more crash out of them. Or 120 degrees and get two more. Most of the time I find that it's a inner gear and you are out of luck,, but save the parts for a later mix and match.. The other problem is that the last gear also drives the shaft that turns the wiper on the pot. This shaft is driven by a brass insert in the plastic gear, this insert on some servos is NOT held to the gear very well and will slip, when it slips the gear/arm is moving to the end of it's travel and jamming because the shaft turning the wiper on the pot isn't turning due to the insert slipping. So the servo doesn't know that the arm has moved and is now jammed and is still trying to move it,,, this burns out the motor if allowed to go on very long..

Some of you have noticed this happening and have moved the arm back down to center by hand and the servo will work again for awhile till it happens again.. Sometimes I think the RX sort of fixes this it's self in flight by noticing that the heli is now going to far and correcting/changing the direction of the servo and things go back to normal for awhile. But this will start to happen more and more often.. Till the heli is unflyable... Here is where you start mixing and matching parts to get one good servo out of the two bad ones..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:08 PM
Registered User
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
The other problem is that the last gear also drives the shaft that turns the wiper on the pot. This shaft is driven by a brass insert in the plastic gear, this insert on some servos is NOT held to the gear very well and will slip, when it slips the gear/arm is moving to the end of it's travel and jamming because the shaft turning the wiper on the pot isn't turning due to the insert slipping. So the servo doesn't know that the arm has moved and is now jammed and is still trying to move it,,, this burns out the motor if allowed to go on very long..

Little bit of hot glue to fix this one maybe. Do it before it becomes a problem.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:02 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
I had the gyro on, but better to get a second opinion before setting off a fire sale.

Might be the same problem described in this thread, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1562262 ?
servos are fine for GCP but do have mod them.
Problem is as farmer said pwm from rx is inverted. I used 2N7002 does the trick but swapping motor and pot wires around lot nicer if your happy with soldering that small area.
I will add when i swapped wires around 2 had red wires from centre of pot but one was all black.
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:24 PM
Registered User
mhills51's Avatar
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,791 Posts
What is up with the stock battery connector? Is it like just a walkera type plug?
I plan on changing them to a standard JST plug. I know people dislike this plug and
I don't know why? I have them on my trex250 and they never get hot also all my chargers already have this plug.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:25 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
RawmadeCF's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
They are just standard walkera connectors for their small helis. I use micro deans.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
Registered User
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
servos are fine for GCP but do have mod them.
Problem is as farmer said pwm from rx is inverted. I used 2N7002 does the trick but swapping motor and pot wires around lot nicer if your happy with soldering that small area.
I will add when i swapped wires around 2 had red wires from centre of pot but one was all black.
I was aware that was an issue with the HK-5320's, but thought the hk-282a's were supposed to be somewhat plug-in-play-ish...just requiring the negative and signal wire to be swapped on the outside and not requiring internal rewiring/soldering.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:08 PM
Registered User
mhills51's Avatar
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,791 Posts
If it is backwards it should be just a mater of reversing that servo.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:09 PM
Registered User
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
They are just standard walkera connectors for their small helis. I use micro deans.
I like micro deans too but the other day I absentmindedly plugged a hyperion into a hyperion thinking I had my voltage meter in one hand. Terminals on one bat burnt right through the electrical tape in milliseconds, but both seem to be working fine now. For Darwin award candidates like myself a male/female connector setup might be safer
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:10 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
RawmadeCF's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
If it is backwards it should be just a mater of reversing that servo
Not that easy unfortunately.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:19 PM
Registered User
shastamike's Avatar
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Helifreak G CP servo options

There is a thread started on HeliFreak about servo options if that would help anyone out.
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=369137
Mike
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:54 PM
addicted to the sound ehhhhhhh
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
I'm a noob here and found this is this a mod or a stock part for the gcp?

http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-geniusc...verholder.aspx
englanito is offline Find More Posts by englanito
Last edited by englanito; Jan 06, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:49 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
1,298 Posts
stock part
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review Walkera Genius CP Review - Pictures, Video, Brushless Mod, Genius VS mCPX Tom Z Micro Helis 531 Dec 16, 2014 08:26 AM
For Sale Walkera rtf genius cp with devo 8 nib 200.00 shipped (scam?) Hot_Wheels Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 46 Oct 16, 2011 06:08 AM
Help! need help on how to press on the stock genius cp pinion onto C05 bl motor f.a.r.m.e.r Micro Helis 12 Oct 13, 2011 11:20 AM
Sold Walkera rtf genius cp with devo 8 nib 200.00 shipped Lbzracing909 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Sep 30, 2011 09:19 PM
Sold Walkera Devo7 with rtf Genius cp.... magic_marty Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Sep 23, 2011 01:10 AM