Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.a.r.m.e.r View Post
your heli looks awsome with them lights,

I wanna pimp my heli out like that

are you using a seperate battery to power the lights?
Wow, this thread is moving along fast...away for a couple of days and a few pages to catch up on.

Regarding lights f.a.r.m.e.r, using a separate battery just for the lights would add too much weight to a little heli like the Genius...weight is so crucial.

I've developed a very small 30mAh Low Drop Constant Current Driver to power the lights directly off the heli's LiPo. The current draw is minimal and the LED's won't change brightness as the LiPo discharges.

The six light set I've built for the Genius weighs just over 1.0 grams.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:42 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
Have you ever danced with the devil 7 in the pale moon light KID

On a more serious note I did not like the V00D03 particularly so when the Genius first came out I was a bit slower than usual to get one - however after the very good reports I did buckle under and hit the buy button - now my original Genius is a bit like the 25 year old proverbial hammer with 2 heads and 3 shafts LOL - just not sure how much is original apart from the Rx board - but its very easy to strip and fix and pence per minute flight time very economical

My second genius is pristine I have flown it to check it out and now its back in the box with the brushless parts awaiting the pinions - it will be purely for outside flight but not now its too damed cold.

When you talk about success how do you calculate it above 50% ? on that note this is probably the most successful sub-micro Walkera have produced to-date they must have it 90% right - could have done with separate LG, boom support, replaceable servo gears ETC

Now the axis of all evil I just don't like 6 axis mode and thats nothing to do with drift it just does not feel nice to me - and by limiting power, pitch, throw rates etc you can make the genius a great little indoor flier without 6 axis IMHO - now some people will like the 6 axis as some people think the msr is a great flier.

Regards David
before the genius came out I was a die hard mcpx fan boy

when the genius came out I thought it was a joke the guy pounding it into walls and stuff at walkera.

but then I too a closer look and didnt see any of the usual walkera soft aluminum bling I decided to get one.

when I flew my genius for the first time I was hooked, made the mcpx feel like a toy heli.

walkera did their homework this time.

even finless bob was shocked over this bird lol

genius rocks

btw how in the heck did you break the head? lol

and six axis is the devil
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:50 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
Doesn't hold that well for me, when I do pitch pumps the tail goes about 5-10degrees.
are you in normal mode when your giving positive pitch?

whats your head speed?

did you add revo mix throttle rudder?

mine wont even blow out when I bog hmmmm...

if you watch my video I dropped 40 feet full negative to full positive to forward flight it didnt even budge

at 2:20 - 2:30

Walkera Genius Cp Testing New Tail Blade (3 min 42 sec)
Last edited by f.a.r.m.e.r; Oct 29, 2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:01 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
Wow, this thread is moving along fast...away for a couple of days and a few pages to catch up on.

Regarding lights f.a.r.m.e.r, using a separate battery just for the lights would add too much weight to a little heli like the Genius...weight is so crucial.

I've developed a very small 30mAh Low Drop Constant Current Driver to power the lights directly off the heli's LiPo. The current draw is minimal and the LED's won't change brightness as the LiPo discharges.

The six light set I've built for the Genius weighs just over 1.0 grams.

Regards,
John
thats awsome ill take 3 please? lol

so have you flown it at night?

it must look like a little ufo
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:12 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
before the genius came out I was a die hard mcpx fan boy

when the genius came out I thought it was a joke the guy pounding it into walls and stuff at walkera.

but then I too a closer look and didnt see any of the usual walkera soft aluminum bling I decided to get one.

when I flew my genius for the first time I was hooked, made the mcpx feel like a toy heli.

walkera did their homework this time.

even finless bob was shocked over this bird lol

genius rocks

btw how in the heck did you break the head? lol

and six axis is the devil
Yes I never expected Bob to be so strong a advocate of the Genius and the Devo 6 I see even Xheli are plugging Bobs support even if they are quoting a video he has not done yet with the Devo 7

I don't think the genius should take anything away from the MCP X it was the first of its class walkera had another 6 months to perfect the genius and spent the time wisely.

As usual John great light's I would also love to see a night video

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:30 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
are you in normal mode when your giving positive pitch?

whats your head speed?

did you add revo mix throttle rudder?

mine wont even blow out when I bog hmmmm...

if you watch my video I dropped 40 feet full negative to full positive to forward flight it didnt even budge

at 2:20 - 2:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6XQ...e_gdata_player

haven't measured my head speed

i do have the revo mix going

i may need to tweak my settings though...i switched to the KBDD blades and the NE tail at the same time....i also had to resolder a bunch of wires. So a lot changed on mine. By the way, get a set of the kbdd blades, you'll love them. Mine are the orange variety, I think i will paint the tips on my tail rotor to match.

Been thinking about getting a 2mm solid rod for the tail as i broke two booms in three days....one was kinda a freak accident. Heli tipped over because the new blades were a little off balance..tail rotor hit the carpet and twisted the boom on both ends.....bye bye boom.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Last edited by pmerritt; Oct 29, 2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:46 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,071 Posts
Quote:
Yes I never expected Bob to be so strong a advocate of the Genius and the Devo 6 I see even Xheli are plugging Bobs support even if they are quoting a video he has not done yet with the Devo 7

I don't think the genius should take anything away from the MCP X it was the first of its class walkera had another 6 months to perfect the genius and spent the time wisely.

Regards David
Xheli can plug that all they want except they are just marketing for Wow. Most do not know yet but there is a reason Wow is the only U.S. dealer carrying the Genius. It is cus they worked out some deal with walkera to be the exclusive U.S. Genius dealer. I am sure Xheli didnt know that when they were sent the sample or the Wow exclusivity was not worked out yet. You never can trust Walkera so who knows maybe that will change or maybe it is only for a certain timeframe.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:36 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Xheli can plug that all they want except they are just marketing for Wow. Most do not know yet but there is a reason Wow is the only U.S. dealer carrying the Genius. It is cus they worked out some deal with walkera to be the exclusive U.S. Genius dealer. I am sure Xheli didnt know that when they were sent the sample or the Wow exclusivity was not worked out yet. You never can trust Walkera so who knows maybe that will change or maybe it is only for a certain timeframe.
I honestly do not know if you are right on this but usually there is a mutual self interest in such deals - I can see the benefit to WoW of such a deal but what benefit would walkera get out of it

Regards David
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:52 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,567 Posts
Quote:
well I did some testing this moring with a variety of tail blades.

the solo pro tail blade NineEagles-Parts- NE10126001027

holds better imo then the V3 mcpx blade

tail hasnt blown out yet with it but it makes a wierd whistling noise lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6XQ...e_gdata_player
solo pro tail blade was another replacemnet for the mcpx. I have a few of them also. The new KDBB tail blade looks more like a larger solo pro TB's. One thing I like about the KDBB products is the colors which makes them easy to see.
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:49 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
haven't measured my head speed

i do have the revo mix going

i may need to tweak my settings though...i switched to the KBDD blades and the NE tail at the same time....i also had to resolder a bunch of wires. So a lot changed on mine. By the way, get a set of the kbdd blades, you'll love them. Mine are the orange variety, I think i will paint the tips on my tail rotor to match.

Been thinking about getting a 2mm solid rod for the tail as i broke two booms in three days....one was kinda a freak accident. Heli tipped over because the new blades were a little off balance..tail rotor hit the carpet and twisted the boom on both ends.....bye bye boom.
oh didnt know you were using kbdd blades I use their tail blades and paddles for my bigger heli's, how much do they way compaired to the stock blades?

because if they are heavier would cause more torque to the tail rotor.

but then again they would also make the heli more stable, I might have to try a pair..

btw my heli hates carpet the skids get stuck I broke my first boom taking off carpet lol it sucks.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:02 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
927 Posts
Quote:

Regards David
Mcpx it was the first of its class<-very true

it is also easier to fly indoors then my genius thats why I havnt got rid of it. lol

I guess all in all its just nice to have more then one choice when it comes to micro heli's. I hope more companies get into the game.

but not roll the ball backwards like align with that 100? god I know it bears the align name and im a big align fan but "align and micro" just dont mix
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:08 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
solo pro tail blade was another replacemnet for the mcpx. I have a few of them also. The new KDBB tail blade looks more like a larger solo pro TB's. One thing I like about the KDBB products is the colors which makes them easy to see.
very true I love the kdbb orange it looks so cool when I fly in a cloudy white backdrop lol

I have the tail blades on my 600EFL
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:55 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
927 Posts
well since finless bob is reviewing the genius maybe walkera will start listening more to its customers before releasing any new heli's

but I guess its ok to dream they would, but who knows if they keep building off the genius platform using plastic rather then soft aluminum, when that happens I would indeed add more walkera heli's to my list

cause the genius like it or not its the best heli walkera has ever produced imho

dave
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:37 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
It's the best one that i have owned too. I have owned two 4#3b, two 4g3, #4fp, and this genius. It is my first fbl walkera and i love it.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:02 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467 View Post
It's the best one that i have owned too. I have owned two 4#3b, two 4g3, #4fp, and this genius. It is my first fbl walkera and i love it.
Yes I have got to agree with you guys and I have had / got a lot of walkera heli's 52, 5g6, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3, cb100, V120D03, V100d01, V00D03BL and them are just my submicro's

Regards David