SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2011, 04:45 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski View Post
Hi Guys,
As I promised a week or 2 ago. I have been getting the drawing done for the Genius frame stiffener base plate.
It now has all the vitals in the correct places after a few return journeys to the drawing board.
Here's a couple of pics of it cut out in cheap 1.5mm PVC.
This one is a short version for people who just simply want to add it to their frame and not remove the gussets for the landing gear which are on the genius frame.
It is nothing too special and when finished,It will only really be a stronger spine for the Genius.I say that now anyway
John 1Hammer has been kind enough to design a neat little lightweight Fin/Mount and allow me to use his design.
Again,This one is just cut out of cheap PVC just to do a test cut.Things are moving very slow due to machine issues.My mill took a dive last weekend and the new parts only just arrived today,So Iam hoping to get things moving very soon and get some parts sent out for testing by some of you guys.
The offer still stands. If anyone wants me to email them a DXF file of the base plate to save them time trying to draw it and get the positions correct for slots and holes etc.Or if you want have someone local to you make them.
Just send me an email to jlyonstg@ozemail.com.au and I will email the file to you tomorrow.
That offer is only for the frame stiffener though. I don't want to give John's Fin/Mount drawings away.They are John's designs.
Regards Jason
Looking good Jason like John tail mount too - suppose its too early to predict weight in CF

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:12 PM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Man this thread is moving so fast I just can't keep up!

Was out of work for awhile so keeping up was not a problem but now work calls and I just can't handle it!!!!

Gonna go to the LHS 2morrow and get and mcpx main for my G. Also gonna put the finishing touches on my head cam so hope I can get some vids.

Hope all you guys have a happy weekend of flying!
Nytflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nytflyer
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:30 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
Looking good Jason like John tail mount too - suppose its too early to predict weight in CF

Regards David
Hi David,
Iam liking the design of John's Fin/Mount.
Once I cut it from CF and make the boom clamp,My guesstimation of weight would be between 0.35g and 0.50g
The one that I made a few weeks ago finished up at 0.50g including screws and clamp,but I feel that one was a little too lean.
Lets see if anyone can guess the weight of John's fin/mount boom clamp and 4 mounting screws before I cut it.
Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Dec 03, 2011, 01:55 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,167 Posts
Thanks Air Vaca!

Thanks for posting the tip on hot melt glue to fix the Genius CP frame. I crashed and broke the frame next to the motor mount, waiting for parts from China. Superglue didn't stick, but your hot melt worked SLICK! I've landed hard a bunch of times, the hot melt still holds it together. If it stays, I'd rather keep the hot melt fix than dissemble the entire heli to move to the new frame, when it arrives.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Dec 03, 2011, 02:02 AM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski View Post
Hi David,
Iam liking the design of John's Fin/Mount.
Once I cut it from CF and make the boom clamp,My guesstimation of weight would be between 0.35g and 0.50g
The one that I made a few weeks ago finished up at 0.50g including screws and clamp,but I feel that one was a little too lean.
Lets see if anyone can guess the weight of John's fin/mount boom clamp and 4 mounting screws before I cut it.
Regards Jason
That looks really nice. Do you think that it will be as durable as the flimsy stock plastic one? That was the first thing that broke on mine when i first got the genius. I mainly fly over tall grass and have never broken anything while if i crash outdoors. But i sometimes crash while flying in my living room and that's when i broke the landing gear. I have been flying it ever since without any landing gear at all. I don't even have a tail fin on it either. I have been holding off ordering stock parts until i see what comes out by people like you that can produce quality products. I love how durable the genius is but i don't like the landing gear molded into the frame. Have you been able to figure any landing gear out for us?
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old Dec 03, 2011, 04:32 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467 View Post
That looks really nice. Do you think that it will be as durable as the flimsy stock plastic one? That was the first thing that broke on mine when i first got the genius. I mainly fly over tall grass and have never broken anything while if i crash outdoors. But i sometimes crash while flying in my living room and that's when i broke the landing gear. I have been flying it ever since without any landing gear at all. I don't even have a tail fin on it either. I have been holding off ordering stock parts until i see what comes out by people like you that can produce quality products. I love how durable the genius is but i don't like the landing gear molded into the frame. Have you been able to figure any landing gear out for us?
Thanks Buster,
The stock fin will bend a lot and then snap,but although carbon fiber is strong,It will bend a little and then snap like a chicken bone. Normally as a compound fracture too.
Iam undecided about how strong CF will be on the tail with the fin's weight reduced. The fin in the last picture cracked when I had it fitted to my V100D03 and landed hard tail first.The V100D03 is a lot heavier though.
I have a few ideas for landing gear floating around in my head and they look awesome too Too bad I still need to make them in real life.
Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:20 AM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
CO5M back in stock at HK

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10578

Get one before they are gone because they go fast!
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:34 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytflyer View Post
CO5M back in stock at HK

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10578

Get one before they are gone because they go fast!
Hold your trigger! It 1.5mm shaft..unless you have the pinon
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:38 AM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
Hold your trigger! It 1.5mm shaft..unless you have the pinon
No worries. Very easy to drill out your stock pinion or just do like I did and order pinions with a 1.5mm hole.

I actually like the 1.5mm shaft better it doesn't bend as easy.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 09:02 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytflyer View Post
No worries. Very easy to drill out your stock pinion or just do like I did and order pinions with a 1.5mm hole.

I actually like the 1.5mm shaft better it doesn't bend as easy.
Same here have had the 1.5 pinions here for a month already waiting for the motor to get back in stock,, mine were mailed yesterday..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:05 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Ok i get it "ultra durable"
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Hey everyone
I just got the BL genius Love this little heli, only hovered a bit so far as I'm a beginner
My cp-z-08 main gear is stripped and I can't fly now
The BL motor is nearly touching but not too close to the gear yet it still destroyed all the teeth
Please could you guys give me some advise on what I should do ?
How close should motor be?
Is this a common problem?
And can I get a metal equivalent ?
Any advice would be appreciated
Regards
John
Joncreid is offline Find More Posts by Joncreid
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:47 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
Thanks for posting the tip on hot melt glue to fix the Genius CP frame. I crashed and broke the frame next to the motor mount, waiting for parts from China. Superglue didn't stick, but your hot melt worked SLICK! I've landed hard a bunch of times, the hot melt still holds it together. If it stays, I'd rather keep the hot melt fix than dissemble the entire heli to move to the new frame, when it arrives.
Hot glue rules! I just wish it wasn't so messy. I have learned to re-melt it after applying to smooth out the "peaks". Otherwise I'm glue challenged. always have been. Gorilla Glue, JB weld, no luck.
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:55 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,736 Posts
John

I use a piece of paper, folded in half (2 ply) and when the motor is loose (ie moved away from main gear) place the peice of folded paper between the motor pinion and main gear, push motor back tight against paper and main gear and tighten motor back down.

this should be adequate gear mesh.

As far as I know there are no metal main gears and you wouldn't want one anyways because it'd likely be way too heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncreid View Post
Hey everyone
I just got the BL genius Love this little heli, only hovered a bit so far as I'm a beginner
My cp-z-08 main gear is stripped and I can't fly now
The BL motor is nearly touching but not too close to the gear yet it still destroyed all the teeth
Please could you guys give me some advise on what I should do ?
How close should motor be?
Is this a common problem?
And can I get a metal equivalent ?
Any advice would be appreciated
Regards
John
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:21 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
John

I use a piece of paper, folded in half (2 ply) and when the motor is loose (ie moved away from main gear) place the peice of folded paper between the motor pinion and main gear, push motor back tight against paper and main gear and tighten motor back down.

this should be adequate gear mesh.

As far as I know there are no metal main gears and you wouldn't want one anyways because it'd likely be way too heavy.

Every time I tried that paper trick on micro heli's I ended up destroying the gear. I think it's for much bigger heli's but even then. I use the look at it closely and make sure there is just the slightness bit of clearance between the pinion and main gear. I want as close as I can get it as long as there is no binding...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob