HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:17 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
Yea i am sure alot of people out there with stripped servos can probably fix them if they try. I wish someone could come up with a servo horn with built in servo saver like the rc cars and trucks use. I know it would be difficult to make them but i feel the heli is more than durable enough. But the weak plastic servo gears take a beating. And i crash alot when i get crazy with it. I can deal with the flexing in the frame and the crap landing gear but i hate when the heli develops slop in the servos. It will give the heli a wobble that can't be fixed unless you can turn the gear to tighten up the servos. I wish i had some of the old 4-3 servos so i could have spares but i don't. I never looked at the price of them. May be a cheaper option to buying the genius servos. I don't mind taking out the new gears of the 4-3 servos and putting them in the genius servos.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:32 PM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
I have been flying walkeras for a few years now and have never had any problems with the servos stripping. Am I just lucky or have they changed the material that the gears are made of on these newer models?
Nytflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nytflyer
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:44 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
No, i personally think that with how durable these helis are getting that more force is getting transferred to the servos. And when dealing with anything as small as the gears are in these servos, they just develop more and more slop from crashes until a tooth breaks.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:45 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
And i do the majority of my crashes inverted and landing right on the head so i know my servos are taking a beating. If you mostly crash skids first than you might not see the problem.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:07 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467 View Post
And i do the majority of my crashes inverted and landing right on the head so i know my servos are taking a beating. If you mostly crash skids first than you might not see the problem.
Yes and its not just crashing on the head its the angle of the blades when contact is made if the blades are at right-angle to the object they strike then the head takes the brunt of the force however if the blades are at a oblique angle then the force will also be down the push-rod to the servo arm

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:27 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I have a question for you guys that fly brushless and are doing 3d outside. Are you using buildem336 settings in the tx or what? I have been using his settings since going brushless. Except i don't run quite as much pitch. I think i run 69 in pitch.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:19 PM
Farmer
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
No, i personally think that with how durable these helis are getting that more force is getting transferred to the servos.

you hit that spot on buster thats exactly why they break. this is walkeras toughest heli and im sure a better servo will come out but for now I ordered some blue bird servos from my local hobby shop aeromicro which I used before.

btw im back to the hp03s again lol
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:22 PM
Farmer
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
I have a question for you guys that fly brushless and are doing 3d outside. Are you using buildem336 settings in the tx or what? I have been using his settings since going brushless. Except i don't run quite as much pitch. I think i run 69 in pitch.
im not using buildem336 settings on my bird but its kinda close to his settings.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:33 PM
Farmer
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimerioco View Post
hello farmer,
good flight! and good heli!
I have a genius Cp, and I'm transforming to brushless with hp8 of 7000KV,
but problems in the tail, it moving same a flag.
Can you tell me if you're using the original double side for receptor ? my genius has a more vibration,

and where I can buy the carbon tube tail more long?

and the tail blade?

sorry about so many questions, but your heli is extraordinary!
a greeting
thanks jamerloco

im using the align 3gx mounting kit which consists of

thin double sided tape fixed to the frame, then a thin piece of flat metal on top of that, then the stock pad fixed onto the metal just like on my align trex 600EFL pro

works great for me. but stock was just fine to.

and exactly what vronny said about the boom is what I did.

and using the new mcpx tail blade

hope this helps

dave
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:46 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
Well i got bored so i stiffened my frame up with the use of some thin cf plate. I trim'd it to fit on the bottom of the frame and it stiffened the frame up great. No more twist in the frame and it takes alot of force to get it to bend front to back. It really helped my gear mesh between the pinion and main gear. I can spin the blades by hand and it turns alot smoother and longer now. And throttling up while holding the heli in my hand i can feel it is alot smoother. Although the genius is durable it has just too much flex in the frame. I hope the weather is clear tomorrow so i can try it out outside. So far, it seems to have made a big improvement. The heli is quieter now too.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:17 PM
Farmer
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
Well i got bored so i stiffened my frame up with the use of some thin cf plate. I trim'd it to fit on the bottom of the frame and it stiffened the frame up great. No more twist in the frame and it takes alot of force to get it to bend front to back. It really helped my gear mesh between the pinion and main gear. I can spin the blades by hand and it turns alot smoother and longer now. And throttling up while holding the heli in my hand i can feel it is alot smoother. Although the genius is durable it has just too much flex in the frame. I hope the weather is clear tomorrow so i can try it out outside. So far, it seems to have made a big improvement. The heli is quieter now too.
hey buster lets us know how it turns out im sure it wilk fly more precise glad it helped the noise because my hp03s was annoyingly loud cause the flex.

you know if it just hat stiffer stronger landing gear that would fix the issue to.

curious to know how your flight turns out

I just uploaded this video of inverted blade scraping but its hard to see its dark out check it out if you want

first 30 seconds you dont see the heli so be patient when watchin the vid lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxRO...e_gdata_player
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:22 PM
Farmer
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
Yes and its not just crashing on the head its the angle of the blades when contact is made if the blades are at right-angle to the object they strike then the head takes the brunt of the force however if the blades are at a oblique angle then the force will also be down the push-rod to the servo arm

Regards David
iv only broken 1 servo on my genius but it was the original elevater servo that came with it but john over at wow sent me a new replacement because it broke on first hover. havnt broke one since.

david which angle of attack?

dave
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:36 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I'm hoping to put my order in tomorrow for a new frame and maybe a couple servos. I have enough cf plate to make a few frame stiffeners. It is pretty simply really. Just drilled out to fit around where the main shaft comes through the frame and then where the servo tabs come through. I just used CA to attach it. I did not run it all the way from one end of the frame to the other. Just added enough to make the frame stiff but still flex on the ends in a crash. All i am looking for is more precise handling like you said. I love how it flies stock but i would rather have a stiffer frame.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:37 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
My nephew is coming over this weekend and i hope to be able to get a video but i can see that from other videos this little heli is going to be hard to see. I will try and see how it turns out.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:05 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,761 Posts
Just got some mCPx tail blades. I seen 2 part #'s-> BLH3017,BLH3517. It looks like 3517 is a new part # so thats the ones I got. Does anyone know which part # is the newest tail blade?
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor