HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:53 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldeveer View Post
Anyone have a link to Mr Lin? www.mji.com did not work.
It's www.mji.com.tw

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:59 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldeveer View Post
Anyone have a link to Mr Lin? www.mji.com did not work.
You have to add .tw at the end of the link.

Indeed, Mr.lin's hyperions aren't cheap. He bought them from the Walkera distributor in Taiwan so too many middle men. I bought mine for about 40% cheaper just 20 minutes drive from Mr.Lin's warehouse. When I told him what I paid for mine, he was blown away. He paid more for his, and I only bought nine of them myself. Difference is, I bought mine directly from the hyperion distributor in Taiwan (I sourced them online). Mr. Lin has to sell the ones he has for more money because he paid more but the next batch will be cheaper as I gave him the contacts to the distributor and he will buy them from him next time.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:12 PM
Switzerland, near Zuerich
Joined Mar 2004
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
Lol mcpx 1 road kill..poor thing. Dave its a heli killer lucky gcp not one of your victim...maybe soon :X

Woohoo! just replaced all my walkera connector to micro dean and its wake up all my cheap battery more power now. Its so hard to find "hyperion g3 240mah 25c" online that sell worldwide
Hi , try this company a great shop:
http://aircraft-world.com/

you will find "hyperion g3 240mah 25c" online he sells worldwide

Regards
Elrush
ELRush is offline Find More Posts by ELRush
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:00 PM
Big Island of Hawaii
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
It's www.mji.com.tw

Best,
Chris
Thanks! I have put together a spread sheet of 5 vendors for GCP spares. Mr. Lin has the lowest price I've found yet for 14 of 19 GCP spare items. He will be my new source for common parts.

RD
rldeveer is offline Find More Posts by rldeveer
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:29 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELRush View Post
Hi , try this company a great shop:
http://aircraft-world.com/

you will find "hyperion g3 240mah 25c" online he sells worldwide

Regards
Elrush
Thanks for the link Elrush, I've already made the order from others website and hope they deliver will try on next time.
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:38 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again, guys. I managed to get my heli in the air today. Good and bad. The bad is that there's still a glitch with my 6 axis which is not there in 3 axis. Not sure why yet. Before I replaced the Ele servo, I had a nasty wobble caused by the servo jittering. Now the wobble is gone but the heli jolts without warning. Sometimes it jolts left, sometimes right, sometimes forward or backward. It's random and I can't identify a pattern. Not sure what's causing this. I wanted to fly anyways so I switched to 3 axis and I tamed the settings to help me stay in the air.

The good, I don't think I'm going back to 6 axis. 3 axis was a total blast. It's stable, it's nimble and very responsive but with my tame settings, it's controllable! I was sports flying and doing figure eights just like I do in 6 axis, NO PROBLEM! I will post a video when I get a chance, possibly tomorrow.

I plan to up the settings gradually as I get more comfortable with it. Eventually, the settings will be such tat I will be able to start trying 3D moves. Progress is in the air for this beginner CP pilot! I'm stoked! I can do sports flying in 3 axis without the 6 axis crutch. You have no idea how happy that makes me.

Best,
Chris
Congrat on the advance to 3 axis Chris, i knew you will like it same as me doing a week before you Learn flying in 6 to orientation skill then switch to 3 axis and learn balance flying easier then jump to 3 axis first to learn both at a time.
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:22 PM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Just a pic of my micro heli fleet. I want to try doing some flight videos like Dave does but I can't figure out how to strap my phone to my head yet

I also have a blade sr(yea I know everyone hates them) that I have had absolutely ZERO problems from in the 2 years I have had it. I was gonna sell it until I noticed HH was coming out with a scale Huey fuselage. It looks really cool and I want it lol and the SR is perfect for scale type flying IMO.
Nytflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nytflyer
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:28 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
if upgrading the stock motor to a CO5, how much impact to battery life? i assume the upgrade motor uses more power.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
I've found with these little components that are very heat sensitive it is helpful to have a variable temperature soldering station...I do a LOT of small component work.

This is the Hakko knock off I purchased for about $50 USD on eBay a few years ago, it's worked great for a very wide variety of my soldering needs.

Regards,
John
Nice. I bought me a soldering station yesterday in preparation to receiving a 2 in 1 ESC from Farmer. About a month ago I bought a butane soldering gun for about 25$. It worked but for only about a week. Now it's barely hot enough to melt anything. Then I bought a 110v. 60w soldering gun for about 20$. It worked just OK until I forgot it plugged in over night. It burnt out.

Got tired of messing around with poor equipment and I bought this yesterday:

Now that guy can get REALLY hot. It has the same iron on it as yours does, by the way. Nice to finally have something that really works, in any case.

I have two questions:

1- Is there a rule of thumb for setting the temperature? What temperature should I set it to for soldering wires, or for soldering on an ESC for example?

2- What's the little sponge for? Am I supposed to wet it?

Can anyone answer these two questions?

Thank you,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:48 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytflyer View Post
Just a pic of my micro heli fleet. I want to try doing some flight videos like Dave does but I can't figure out how to strap my phone to my head yet

I also have a blade sr(yea I know everyone hates them) that I have had absolutely ZERO problems from in the 2 years I have had it. I was gonna sell it until I noticed HH was coming out with a scale Huey fuselage. It looks really cool and I want it lol and the SR is perfect for scale type flying IMO.
Nice fleet!

I used an old phone holster and cut out a hole for the camera lens. Then I sewed in onto the straps of an old headlamp. It's not very stable and it makes for shaky videos, especially when mosquitoes are biting me , but other than that it works great.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:04 AM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
I have two questions:

1- Is there a rule of thumb for setting the temperature? What temperature should I set it to for soldering wires, or for soldering on an ESC for example?

Thank you,
Chris
I'm not an expert but use the equipment where i work a little. for temp I would try 675 F or so for wires or connectors, they set the ones at work to around 700 F. This may also depend on the type of solder you have. The sponge should be wetted and use it to wipe excess solder from the iron as you work. Some liquid flux also helps, apply a little to the wire or connector first, also clean surfaces to be soldered with some scotchbrite or emery cloth.
Hope that helps until the experts reply, regards. nice solder station btw.
I think f.a.r.m.e.r. said he may put up a tutorial at some point but in the meantime found this tutorial:
http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/213
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
Last edited by adrenahelin; Nov 27, 2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: added link
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:17 AM
Kingdom of Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Lindome
Joined Jul 2011
195 Posts
Quote:
Nice. I bought me a soldering station yesterday in preparation to receiving a 2 in 1 ESC from Farmer. About a month ago I bought a butane soldering gun for about 25$. It worked but for only about a week. Now it's barely hot enough to melt anything. Then I bought a 110v. 60w soldering gun for about 20$. It worked just OK until I forgot it plugged in over night. It burnt out.

Got tired of messing around with poor equipment and I bought this yesterday:

Now that guy can get REALLY hot. It has the same iron on it as yours does, by the way. Nice to finally have something that really works, in any case.

I have two questions:

Thank you,
Chris
I don't know anything about farenhight and we use celcius here.
So here is my soldering experience.
If soldering on a Circuit board like the RX go with something like 380-390C unless you still use tin that containing lead(forbidden in eu (rohs)) then you can use 370C.
Don use to high temp you can make the copper to release from the glassfiber board!

Depending of size of soldering tip you can go slightly higher when soldering cabels to a cell tab.

A soldering joint should always be shiny in surface (like a mirror) or else you have heaten it to long with out adding new soldering tin!!!
If soldering tin have been heated to long it will transform in to crystals an give you a week joint that will break wery soon.

Sponge shall be damp not wet.
For every soldering joint wipe tip and add a small amount tin to tip.
Wet tin on tip transfer heat faster than a dry tip.

Regards Paul
Palle_Plutt is offline Find More Posts by Palle_Plutt
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:26 AM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Nice fleet!

I used an old phone holster and cut out a hole for the camera lens. Then I sewed in onto the straps of an old headlamp. It's not very stable and it makes for shaky videos, especially when mosquitoes are biting me , but other than that it works great.

Best,
Chris
Chris THANK YOU!

I have been pondering this all day.

You just gave me the idea that I needed I have an old head flashlight I think I might be able to rig the phone on that sucker!

Damn mosquitoes I can't stand them. Especially the ones that look like they have Zebra stripes on them I can't tell you how many times I have crashed my helis cause one of those little was biting me.

I am VERY jealous of your new soldering station that thing looks sweet

I just use a non adjustable cheapo. I think it is 25watt(maybe) but it definitely is not adjustable at all. But, it gets the job done. I get my bonus from work around March think I am gonna budget for a station like that keep us informed on how it works for you.

I am not an expert solderer(is that a word?) either but like adrehnalin just posted sparkfun has some good tutorials to help get you started.

The sponge is your FRIEND! Think of it as the throttle hold switch on your GCP. If you don't use it it isn't gonna be pretty. I always keep my sponge very wet not like a puddle or anything but you dont want to wring it out all the way either. After every "attempt" you wipe the tip on the sponge a few times to keep it clean. For a long time I was like eff thant sponge then I kept wondering why I was having a hard time and decided to start using said sponge and it really makes a world of difference.

I hear that flux stuff works really good to although I don't really know what it does. The solder I have says it has flux in it maybe I will figure that out as well when I get a solder station like yours.

Take care

Leo
Nytflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nytflyer
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,691 Posts
Thanks for the responses about the soldering station, guys. I think I can take it from here.

Here's a video of my stellar 3 axis flying. A whole 3 minutes and no crash! lol...

Genius CP 3 axis (5 min 17 sec)

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:51 AM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:

Thank you,
Chris
Hi Chris,

For soldering 24 gauge wire to Dean's Micro plugs I use a temperature of about 550ºF. To solder 32 gauge magnet wire to small components I use a temperature of about 510ºF. Soldering to ESC can take a little more heat depending on where you solder to the PCB sometimes up around 580ºF.

Yes you wet the sponge to clean the tip, however I use a Hakko 599B to clean my soldering tips. It uses a brass pad to clean the tips without using water. The sponge will dry out and you have to keep re-hydrating it which can be a pain in the a**.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Last edited by 1Hammer; Nov 27, 2011 at 11:02 AM.