HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:21 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,658 Posts
Hi all,

Since the original Genius thread has gotten so off topic, I thought I'd post about my BL Genius here.

First of all I found a very good method of repairing the Genius frame when the LG breaks. I have quite a bit of Lexan left over from some larger scale RC bodies, I cut a small piece and shaped it to conform to the original LG profile then clamped and CA'd it in place. Very lightweight and probably stronger than the original frame.

I've completed my BL upgrade with the AEO 11000KV CO5 from Terence and haven't experienced any cogging whatsoever. Getting 4 minutes of flight with the Hyperion 240's.

I trimmed canopy to not contact the CO5 to minimize vibration.

Interested in the HP03 for weight concerns.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:35 PM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
Hi all,

Since the original Genius thread has gotten so off topic, I thought I'd post about my BL Genius here.

First of all I found a very good method of repairing the Genius frame when the LG breaks. I have quite a bit of Lexan left over from some larger scale RC bodies, I cut a small piece and shaped it to conform to the original LG profile then clamped and CA'd it in place. Very lightweight and probably stronger than the original frame.

I've completed my BL upgrade with the AEO 11000KV CO5 from Terence and haven't experienced any cogging whatsoever. Getting 4 minutes of flight with the Hyperion 240's.

Regards,
John
Very nice looking heli love the lights! Can't go near that other genius thread not interesed in six axis at all or all the bickering like school girls.

This HP03 you guys are talking about where can you buy it from? I see it on overskys site but I thought you could only order from them in quantity? Just got my genius and I am enjoying it stock but I know I will get bored as I am used to the power of my brushless mcpx so will be looking to convert soon. Already have the esc from the 4#3b/CB100 times a few years back. Also have some spare motors around but they seem kinda heavy for this little genius.

Happy flying to all!
Nytflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nytflyer
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:35 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytflyer View Post
Very nice looking heli love the lights! Can't go near that other genius thread not interesed in six axis at all or all the bickering like school girls.

This HP03 you guys are talking about where can you buy it from? I see it on overskys site but I thought you could only order from them in quantity? Just got my genius and I am enjoying it stock but I know I will get bored as I am used to the power of my brushless mcpx so will be looking to convert soon. Already have the esc from the 4#3b/CB100 times a few years back. Also have some spare motors around but they seem kinda heavy for this little genius.

Happy flying to all!
You can order 1 piece from there.
vronny is online now Find More Posts by vronny
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:53 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
I had Manny try to full 3D my HP03 version and it just doesn't have the torque the C05 has for 3D. It does generate a lot of HS (5900 on stock pinion) but it bogged between manuevers. It does well with some mild stuff (flips, inverted, etc.). But, it did not like tic-tocs. I just ordered the .5 mod 7t & 8t pinions so I will try again with those when they get there. I am also using the 14,000kv HP03 as well. The stock HP03 at 15,800kv has way too much HS for flight.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:20 PM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Sounds like the CO5 is the best option then thanks guys!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:35 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
It all depends on your flying style. I only went with the C05 because i never knew about the other motor options. I am not good enough with my collective management to perform perfect tic tocs and a number of other maneuvers. But i can do stationary front and back flips without loosing altitude and i could even do that when using the stock brushed motor. The stock motor was good but would bog. So any brushless motor that performs anything above the stock motor is worth buying and trying. I am going to pick one of these HP03 motors up and trying it. Don't just automatically go for the top motor when a slightly less performing motor can still provide more performance than you can ask of it.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:41 PM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467 View Post
It all depends on your flying style. I only went with the C05 because i never knew about the other motor options. I am not good enough with my collective management to perform perfect tic tocs and a number of other maneuvers. But i can do stationary front and back flips without loosing altitude and i could even do that when using the stock brushed motor. The stock motor was good but would bog. So any brushless motor that performs anything above the stock motor is worth buying and trying. I am going to pick one of these HP03 motors up and trying it. Don't just automatically go for the top motor when a slightly less performing motor can still provide more performance than you can ask of it.
Understand your point. I am just learning 3D and my collective management isn't the best just yet. I can't seem to find this HP03 anywhere in the states and I hate ordering stuff from china/hong kong.

Can get a C05 pretty easily and I think it will be more forgiving while trying to learn 3D. I can flip my stock genius just fine but I do lose some altitude as I have not perfected it yet. Think the added tork will benefit me while trying to learn as sometimes you just need that extra power to recover from some dumb thumb manuvers.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:57 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I see where your coming from. I like the fact that they are getting longer flight times with the 03 over the C05. The extra tork is a plus with the C05. But more importantly is upgrading the lipo when going brushless. The stock lipos are really poor at running the brushless setups. Yes you can fly mild 3d with them but you lose power really fast when tossing the heli around. The hyperion 240mah lipo cells are great.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:05 PM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Yea I have some bare hyperion 240's that I use on my mcpx and they are great. Might change them over when I convert the genius to brushless or maybe just get some new ones. They are definitely GREAT packs!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:24 PM
Farmer
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
I had Manny try to full 3D my HP03 version and it just doesn't have the torque the C05 has for 3D. It does generate a lot of HS (5900 on stock pinion) but it bogged between manuevers. It does well with some mild stuff (flips, inverted, etc.). But, it did not like tic-tocs. I just ordered the .5 mod 7t & 8t pinions so I will try again with those when they get there. I am also using the 14,000kv HP03 as well. The stock HP03 at 15,800kv has way too much HS for flight.
I agree since my flying has improved trying new things my hp03s bogs even with my 7t pinion.

so im back to using my C05 it just feels better I dont have to worry about loading my head up as much.

C05 is imo great all around motor..
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:24 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I have 6 of the hyperions and i want to order another 12. I can get 18 flights in every day and it would save some time if i had all 18 of them. I probably flew 25 packs yesterday alone.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:27 PM
Farmer
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytflyer View Post
Yea I have some bare hyperion 240's that I use on my mcpx and they are great. Might change them over when I convert the genius to brushless or maybe just get some new ones. They are definitely GREAT packs!
I just bought 4 more of 240s bare cells they are great batteries.

very inexpensive to.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:29 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
Well then maybe i won't bother with the 03 after all. I find myself really wanting to get another genius and keep it stock for my living room flying. I felt more comfortable flipping and practicing inverted orientations in my living room. The brushless one can take off really fast if your not ready for it. And my living room is only 12x14 but the ceiling is close to 16ft high. With furniture, that does not leave much room for error.

Does the 03 still perform better than the stock brushed motor? If so maybe it would make a good indoor performer.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:31 PM
Farmer
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
Hi all,

Regards,
John
your heli looks awsome with them lights,

I wanna pimp my heli out like that

are you using a seperate battery to power the lights?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:33 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467 View Post
Well then maybe i won't bother with the 03 after all. I find myself really wanting to get another genius and keep it stock for my living room flying. I felt more comfortable flipping and practicing inverted orientations in my living room. The brushless one can take off really fast if your not ready for it. And my living room is only 12x14 but the ceiling is close to 16ft high. With furniture, that does not leave much room for error.

Does the 03 still perform better than the stock brushed motor? If so maybe it would make a good indoor performer.
One advantage to the HP03s verse brushed is u would not have to wait much time between flights as I am sure u know the brushed motors gets real hot.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor