HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palle_Plutt View Post
Don't you think that's an temp probe port?
So you have an upgraded RX with telemetry like mini?
Just an wild guess.
//Paul
makes sense.. or could be for the mysterious RX firmware "upgrade port" that will never be used because there is neither cable nor firmware available. it's a good selling feature though for walkera
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:17 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
@apphoard, I put hot glue on mine in the beginning and never touch them again. I could be wrong, but it seems the connector would add electrical resistance. The general rule is solder a connection whenever possible.

I was using those little mini-jst/eflite connectors for my power connection in my bl setup and when I soldered the power leads I definitely noticed a power boost.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:19 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
makes sense.. or could be for the mysterious RX firmware "upgrade port" that will never be used because there is neither cable nor firmware available. it's a good selling feature though for walkera
That's what I'm thinking too. I suspect some point in the future they'll release a firmware update and then sell a lot of overpriced "firmware update cables" in the process. You want to fix the ccw yaw drift, then get in line and buy a cable.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:14 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,661 Posts
I was just looking at mine and it looks like they relocated a major chip to the top forward corner. One that use to be in the middle of the bottom. Could be the mem but I think it's to large.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:51 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
Wow Good to seeya Dave
Hey bud nice to cya around aswell how are things with you these days?

Been flying alot?

Cheer bud
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
@apphoard, I put hot glue on mine in the beginning and never touch them again. I could be wrong, but it seems the connector would add electrical resistance. The general rule is solder a connection whenever possible.

I was using those little mini-jst/eflite connectors for my power connection in my bl setup and when I soldered the power leads I definitely noticed a power boost.
Thanks for the info Bytemuncher .I use the micro deans. I am almost a pro at soldering it back on. Finally made it plenty long and used a little zip-tie to attach it to the motor. I think it will last now. But I think I will add the hot glue also. Soon my genius will be one large ball of flying hot glue. It really works well on fixing the frame. 😄
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Last edited by Apphoard; Mar 18, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:58 AM
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post

I could not immediately confirm that this change does not cause power loss.
My checks were limited to basic operations : connecting a battery, a servo, and test with the radio : everything was ok.

The modified receiver will be mounted on the first Genius to have a wiring problem (I have two). It may take some time because I have reinforced with hot glue, but even with that, I'm sure that time comes.

At worst, I plan to set up a HP03s account for holidays and test it with my custom receiver.

Meanwhile, here's another customization tested and approved :

find the intruder

Result on the scale: +1 gram / ​​genius original, very acceptable with the power offered by an MCP stock battery.
Fraggle_Corp is offline Find More Posts by Fraggle_Corp
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:38 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.a.r.m.e.r View Post
Hey bud nice to cya around aswell how are things with you these days?

Been flying alot?

Cheer bud
Ya! Lots of flying lately with all the heli buddies around 7 of us Now learning piroflip
How about you bud? Want to see more of your stun
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:50 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,117 Posts
Have a LT & LTC ESC works great for BL. Tried a L & L2 does not spin motor.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:34 PM
Multitotor Pilot/Web Designer
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
why couldn't you just use a mini deans plug and solder it to the rx board ?
You mean like this, Connectors fit right into the board like it was made for it, good suggestion.

RaymondM is offline Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:29 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
I wouldn't recommend this way of mounting the plug as when u crash, it will probably destroy the rx board.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,126 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend this way of mounting the plug as when u crash, it will probably destroy the rx board.
Are you taking into account the use of a jumper to the battery?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:50 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
You can break the cable strands even without the connector on it when crashing, just think what would it be with connector on it? Just my 2 cents view not saying anything personal hope you accept my friendly advice
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,126 Posts
Quote:
You can break the cable strands even without the connector on it when crashing, just think what would it be with connector on it? Just my 2 cents view not saying anything personal hope you accept my friendly advice
Yes you are right was just trying to keep the soldering iron away from the board, thanks for the good advice, won't go this route, maybe use some hot glue on the wires at the board so you think that would be ok or what. thanks again
signed a newb at the G
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:12 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Micro deans weigh 1 gram for each pair, too heavy for helis in this size class IMO. I use them, but I'm thinking about switching to eflite (mini jst) connectors. If they work for eflite helis don't see why they wouldn't work for walkera helis.

Now just need to get motivated to do all that re-soldering.