HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palle_Plutt View Post
It's the stranded wire that makes it soft.
One solid core wire is stiff and not that flexible.

I think walkera saved some bucks on the copper quality in the wire therefore it's brittle.
Then amount of force when crimping is affecting same as how the wires are soldered and can create brittleness.
I could be wrong here but I believe the wire is Aluminum. Hard to spell, but breaks easily. I'll have to look into that. Pretty sure it's not copper.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
The Walkera lipo power wires use cheap thin stranded wire as opposed to solid core wire or thicker stranded wire.

As these stranded wires are so thin, once they repeatedly get bent and pulled the single strands are going to break. There are probably about 15-20 strands of wire which are about the same thickness as Human hair so you can probably appreciate that it's pretty weak.

I can't think of any other explanation.

Within the next week or so, I intend to change the lipo wires to a thicker stranded wire, or I might even use a solid core wire. Either way, both of these changes will be better than using the thin stock stuff.

Btw.. The first thing I did when I got my GCP was to change to genuine micro Deans. I flew it once with the stock connector just to test it.

All my sub-micro birds use micro deans, too.

Wires are too thin, and bad quality, but I don't understand the link with plugs ? Changing them is not going to preserve wire bending problems...
And the efficiency is a multiplicating problems, not a sum...
Flo38 is offline Find More Posts by Flo38
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:52 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Here in N. Cal. we have the warmest, driest winter in 90 yrs. I'm thinking about getting a V120D01S. Maybe we'll get our snow back (this is a ski town).
Mike
Yea will Northern Michigan is a snow mobile state and the people that depend on them and the skiers and ice fisherman to make a living are really hurting here.. And while I feel sorry for them,, I'm happy to have no snow on the ground here..

I was just out flying the #1 and you know I think it's trying to tell me it wants a new tail motor.. It's making more noise now,, and full left rudder gets about 30 degrees left turn and then it shuts off and I get some really nice fast piro's to the right...

Going to switch over to flying the V120D02S and take some video of the tail holding with the adjustable slipper clutch installed..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo38 View Post
Wires are too thin, and bad quality, but I don't understand the link with plugs ? Changing them is not going to preserve wire bending problems...
And the efficiency is a multiplicating problems, not a sum...
First, I have yet to change any Walkera connector to Micro Dean.

However, I might be able to explain some reasons why many people have had good experiences "blindly" swapping to Micro Deans:
  • Micro Deans probably have slightly less resistance than stock Walkera connector, and if so, will have slightly less Voltage drop across the connector, and more usable power available to reach the Motor(s). As far as I know, no one has made "good" comparison measurements yet.

• Most of my micro Walkera's came with wires that were severely kinked near their ends. The locations of all the kinks appear as if the factory assemblers were improperly using wire strippers. Once the wire/strands is/are severely kinked, it doesn't take much flexing to break the strand(s) at the kink. One by one, as each strand is broken, it will further increase resistance/Voltage drop across the wire, and not permit total amount of available Battery power to reach the Motor(s).

• Even if none of the wires (strands) are weakened at the factory, there is easy opportunity for the owner/operator to cause stress to the wire (strands) when trying to unplug a connector or doing maintenance. The more the wire is stressed/flexed, the more the wire will permanently be damaged, resistance and Voltage drop will increase. Generally, most of the flexing will occur at the junction where the wire (strands) connect to something stiff (connector contact, PWB). If someone "blindly" replaces/re-does this damaged/weak connection, then they may just get "lucky" and get rid of the broken strand(s) when doing the "stock" Walkera to Micro Dean connector conversion, resulting in "blindly" getting better performance, not because of the new connector, but because they shortened (replaced?) the wire and eliminated broken strand(s).

• Stock Walkera connector has its contact crimped on to end of wire. If done properly, crimp connections should out flex soldered connections. Crimp connections are not easily repairable without replacing the crimp, so the average DIY hobbyist tends to use Connectors which require soldering. The soldered connectors, might not flex as well and not last as long as a properly crimped connector; however, it is easy to redo broken wire/stand(s) repair(s) as required.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Jan 08, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:28 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,640 Posts
Any wire meant to be moved around will be stranded. Solid wire is not meant to be bent and will break after repeated bending before stranded. The plugs walkera uses today are the same Losi uses on it's mini trucks that pull a lot more amps than this little bird. Your first sign of amp loss will be in the form of heat. If your plugs or connection is not really warm when you unplug it, your plugs are just fine. I can not see this heli pulling more amps than my Trex250 and it comes with jst plugs, but people still change these right away because its a cheap mod not because of a problem and then you have Replacement Theology thinking I made a change and it's much better when in reality it's not and sometimes worse. The old saying don't fix it if it's not broke. You will get 1000's of these stories of that was my problem when in most cases it was not.

I was going to change mine just because of availability, but I found that these plugs are the same as the losi mini and are easily available at my lhs.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:32 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Any wire meant to be moved around will be stranded. Solid wire is not meant to be bent and will break after repeated bending before stranded. The plugs walkera uses today are the same Losi uses on it's mini trucks that pull a lot more amps than this little bird. Your first sign of amp loss will be in the form of heat. If your plugs or connection is not really warm when you unplug it, your plugs are just fine. I can not see this heli pulling more amps than my Trex250 and it comes with jst plugs, but people still change these right away because its a cheap mod not because of a problem and then you have Replacement Theology thinking I made a change and it's much better when in reality it's not and sometimes worse. The old saying don't fix it if it's not broke. You will get 1000's of these stories of that was my problem when in most cases it was not.

I was going to change mine just because of availability, but I found that these plugs are the same as the losi mini and are easily available at my lhs.
If you like the stock Walkera plug and have the tools to install them on the broken wires fine,, most don't, but do have a soldering iron. Like we said it's not the plugs it's the broken wires that we are addressing with the Deans change.

As I like the better gripping I get with the Deans and that I can bring the wires off them at 90 degrees and that I can use JB Kwik to cover the solder joints while acting as the strain relief, this adds up to a neater looking heli with less wires hanging down in flight..
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:56 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,640 Posts
The location of the battery wires suck! you would think they could of found a better location or a little longer wire.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:18 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
There is a new welkera mini cp coming soon...look little bit smaller then gcp and waiting for the flight review I like the canopy but abit too dark...
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
There is a new welkera mini cp coming soon...look little bit smaller then gcp and waiting for the flight review I like the canopy but abit too dark...
Yeah, I got a glimpse of that over on HF. There's a clip on youtube with that testosterone lacking dwarf fella unboxing it. I can't remember His name.

Only had my GCP for just over a week as well, but this is typical of Walkera.

Edit- just found the clip, here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&h...&v=GsnTG38-kjg
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:37 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Main differences I noticed:

1) Vertically mounted rx with power and motor plugs on front and servo plugs on rear
2) Mcpx-ish main motor
3) Removable skids with battery tray located under main gear
4) Stock batteries (probably junk) are 240mah
5) Same servos with different mounting (more crowded) around the main shaft

I'm thinking you could just buy the main frame, skids, and a new motor if you wanted to convert a gcp to a "mini-cp".
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Last edited by bytemuncher; Jan 08, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:38 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
Yeah, I got a glimpse of that over on HF. There's a clip on youtube with that testosterone lacking dwarf fella unboxing it. I can't remember His name.

Only had my GCP for just over a week as well, but this is typical of Walkera.

Edit- just found the clip, here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&h...&v=GsnTG38-kjg

Yep! You beat me to it! I was just going to post the video link. It looks like they have made some improvements such as the skid now is seperate from the frame, larger Mah battery and higher C rating of 25. Also, it looks a lot like a Mcpx motor is on it as well. I have my CC rdy to buy this baby when it's avail.
M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Last edited by M3_matt; Jan 08, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
I'll hold back on this mini CP and let the beta testers do their bit as I did with the GCP.
One thing for sure; It's gonna cost a few nicker, what with that Devo 8 with telemetry.
Walkera have really come on leaps and bounds and I think we're gonna see some real special stuff this annum.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
123 Posts
But I just bought a genius cp! Dammit! maybe I should have waited.. maybe this is a start of a great big collection... I'll start saving. My cp didn't even arrive in the mail yet... *sigh*
distortionist is offline Find More Posts by distortionist
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:13 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortionist View Post
But I just bought a genius cp! Dammit! maybe I should have waited.. maybe this is a start of a great big collection... I'll start saving. My cp didn't even arrive in the mail yet... *sigh*
My third GCP isn't even here yet and now this.. And this time I'll have to get the Devo 8S...

I'm sure this doesn't mean anything but my computer crashed while watching the video... Or is this a warning???
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:14 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,640 Posts
It looks to be the same size with a smaller canopy and unless they make a really small diameter brushless motor you can say good buy to a conversion unless you plan on cutting a hole in that servo.
RCG Plus Member