HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:43 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
the only advantage the mcpx has is a lot more parts available for modding,etc. other than that it's obsolete with its cheesy linear servos.
The mCPX needs them to try and get it to fly right where the Genius flies fine out of the box.. No mods need,, but them some hot glue here and there and some tape doesn't hurt..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, CT, Berlin
Joined Jun 2011
238 Posts
FARMER,
I hope you are feeling better, I know health concerns are very much the biggest priority and I wish you a fast and complete recovery.
Blemney...
That is a great mod! I think that it may also be just the thing for my 120d02s also. Slipper clutch for servos essentially, only much easier to make! It's so oobviouse, I cant believe it si not done almost universally! Almost like if we were driving around for years with square wheeles...then one day after getting on FARMER about a video of weather or not his new octogon wheeles were really bettter, you come along with this whole round the edges thing out of nowhere.
One day in the not too distant future, on a thread very similair to this, the question will come up of "who started the whole servo saver mod? the argument will be epic, some saying finless Bob, others that guy in Austria who makes the metal tail gears.... I will smile to myself as I remember this historic moment!
helimaniac8 is offline Find More Posts by helimaniac8
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:24 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palle_Plutt View Post
Hi all folks with great knowledge!

I'm a noob of working with brushless motors.
I would like to get some recommendations for a brushless motor for Genius.
Main goal is a motor for back to back flying.
Flying type is hovering and normal flying with perhaps some sport flying.
Perhaps if it's possible longer fly time and lower AUW.

I'm not afraig of soldering so thinking of a "Steve" and a small ESC like benmlee writes on his page but with a smaller motor.

I have read that Bob is using another motor but I haven't figured out what type exactly that is?

Regards
Paul
If you are talking about me,, I was using a C03 motor from Hobby King in my #1 Genius.. I have replaced it with a stock motor for now.. What is interesting is the my #2 with the stock motor has more punch than the #1 even when I had the C05 in it for awhile,, I'm thinking that something is messed up on the #1 and I'm losing power some place,, but it's still a nice driveway/inside flier so I'm not messing with it till it really needs it.. Got some chips in the mail yesterday so I might try piggybacking one on and see if that helps..

But right now got to work on the V120D02S slipper clutches and get them in the mail..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
New Walkera dealer

Looks like there is a new Walkera dealer in USA! Below is his link:
http://helircstore.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home
I haven't ordered from them yet but they have been quick to answer questions about their site and shipping charges. Complete stock of Genius parts. Check them out! (BTW...It's not my site. I am just really happy to have another place to spend my money).
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Last edited by shastamike; Jan 07, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Oct 2010
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.a.r.m.e.r View Post
Como estas amigo?
Yo estoy bien gracias, pero leo que usted no está sano, espero que no sea nada grave amigo.

Con respecto a el mod de el servo que hace benmlee,,, ¿es para que haga de fusible y no se rompan los piñones internos de el servo?.

Esta noche e volado de nuevo, la cámara no está bien configurada pero realmente el motor mcpX va muy bien, lástima ese peso que le suma, de lo contrario sería una mala bestia.

Walkera genius CP, mcpX main engine, tail blade mcpX, lipo 240mha 20C (2 min 4 sec)
txipicopter is offline Find More Posts by txipicopter
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txipicopter View Post
Yo estoy bien gracias, pero leo que usted no está sano, espero que no sea nada grave amigo.

Con respecto a el mod de el servo que hace benmlee,,, ¿es para que haga de fusible y no se rompan los piñones internos de el servo?.

Esta noche e volado de nuevo, la cámara no está bien configurada pero realmente el motor mcpX va muy bien, lástima ese peso que le suma, de lo contrario sería una mala bestia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G2W0W6c2DM
Gran cámara.... buen vuelo…. Gracias.
Mike
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:54 PM
Farmer
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo38 View Post
Hello farmer

Ok but I don't really understand.

What are the weights of genius cp brushed motor and mcpx brushed motor ?

Genius Cp stock is about 41.5g and mcpx about 44.5g. If you add 3g to the Genius, you have a kind of mcpx...

I thought the only one advantage of the Genius was its weight...
Go buy a mcpx and try to flip it, then put the mcpx motor on the genius and try to flip it, you will find all the advantages the genius has over the mcpx all in that one test. You wanted my opinion you got it. If you want complete statistics on paper which hardly ever transate in the air then you got the wrong guy.

My opinion, mcpx motor is a great option for the genius as a matter of fact with the extra power it feels lighter let alone its different on paper. Kinda like a flight simulater vs real flying, you can gey away with murder on a flight simulater, on paper it might not make sense, but once in the air it starts to make sense.

Happy flying

Farmer
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:13 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Great video, thanks a lot ben. So you don't think it is necessary to use shrink tubing or fuel line for added tension?
For me, I don't see any reason to add fuel tubing for extra tension. Tried slaming the transmitter stick all around like those world champion 3D pilots do in youtube, and the servo saver held. Also tried holding it, and jerking the helicopter up down and around at full throttle. Servo saver held also.

I just put it out there in case some people wanted a tighter servo saver. Maybe the plastic starts to loosen up after many crashes. Just like in r/c car, the top drivers sometimes want a tighter servo saver for more precision at the expense of servo gears wear.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:29 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palle_Plutt View Post
Hi all folks with great knowledge!

I'm a noob of working with brushless motors.
I would like to get some recommendations for a brushless motor for Genius.
Main goal is a motor for back to back flying.
Flying type is hovering and normal flying with perhaps some sport flying.
Perhaps if it's possible longer fly time and lower AUW.

I'm not afraig of soldering so thinking of a "Steve" and a small ESC like benmlee writes on his page but with a smaller motor.

I have read that Bob is using another motor but I haven't figured out what type exactly that is?

Regards
Paul
The only reason to got the "Steve" route is weight saving. Plug and play Walkera ESC gains about 3.5g. "Steve" route loose about .5-1g depending how tight you make the wires. So the difference is about 4g. on a helicopter that weights 42g, 4g is 10%.

The down side is you do have to solder. And to take full advantage of the weight savings, you have to use a micro speed control. The TGY DP 3A is easy to find, but have to change out the FETs to make it work for high current application on the Genius. The stock FETs are junk. So there is more soldering. But not that big of a deal if you can do it.

For motors, C05 is very powerful, and you have to modify the canopy to fit. Or use some spacers so canopy does not touch the motor. Other people (Bob too I believe) use the smaller HP03. But that one is 14,000 kv compared with 11,500 for C05. My guess is you have to gear down to 7T or 6T to prevent bogging down.

Also consider the Walkera double brushless kit. That may have just the right size motor that does not require canopy modification.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:00 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Need some help here, I have the C05 motor with kbdd tail blade. When i pumb up, the tail blowout if tail in the tail move to right and if i pumb more it can turn 1 round lol...tail motor need replacement or some mod will do? I'm using devo6 and tom's setting btw.
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
The mCPX needs them to try and get it to fly right where the Genius flies fine out of the box.. No mods need,, but them some hot glue here and there and some tape doesn't hurt..
Wish my Genius flew out of the box. I had to work to make it mine. Maybe that's a good thing.
Mike
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:09 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
Need some help here, I have the C05 motor with kbdd tail blade. When i pumb up, the tail blowout if tail in the tail move to right and if i pumb more it can turn 1 round lol...tail motor need replacement or some mod will do? I'm using devo6 and tom's setting btw.
I had the same issue with mine when I converted to brushless. My solution was to reduce the amount of pitch down to 60 or 65% on the H point using a linear pitch curve. And I also decreased the pitch in Travel Adjust bit by bit until the tail held better. Not ideal by any means. It fixes the tail blows but you lose a fair bit in climbing rate. From what I understand, its better to program a S pitch curve to give the brushed tail motor a chance to keep up. I was using the Devo 7 and being unable to see the curves was too much trouble, but now that I have the Devo 8 I plan to test some S pitch curves when I get around to it.

I'm back to a brushed motor now, though. Just got a new GCP. It's slower than the BL setup, but I find it has less quirks such as the tail blows.

It has also been mentioned that using program mix can help with this, but I have my doubts about that. Maybe a bit of mixing can help.

Best,
bobepine
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:12 AM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Oct 2011
120 Posts
I recently got the BL genius rtf from wow hobbies. I was definitely NOT IMPRESSED. It didn't have much power at all. Hyperions made it flyable but still not much power. Tonight I un soldered the battery wires from the rx. Then cut fresh wire and re soldered. I tested it out on the porch (not much room) and from what I could fly, it made a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!! I highly recommend doing this if your having power issues, especially with brand new parts. Even though my wires LOOKED FINE, they WEREN'T.
Milf Hunter is online now Find More Posts by Milf Hunter
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:17 AM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milf Hunter View Post
I recently got the BL genius rtf from wow hobbies. I was definitely NOT IMPRESSED. It didn't have much power at all. Hyperions made it flyable but still not much power. Tonight I un soldered the battery wires from the rx. Then cut fresh wire and re soldered. I tested it out on the porch (not much room) and from what I could fly, it made a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!! I highly recommend doing this if your having power issues, especially with brand new parts. Even though my wires LOOKED FINE, they WEREN'T.
good to hear. walkera should just recall this RX and give us new ones (i know, wishful thinking).. so far there are two known problem.. 1) weak connection wire 2) left rudder/tail drift (actually 3 if you count the fubared 6 axis but that isn't a big deal for most).

im suffering from huge power loss (heli wont' stay up in the air) but it could be a bad motor as well, but i did ordered a much better soldering iron and magnifying glass that will help me redo the wiring but it's a PITA for people with no tools or much soldering skills to have to inevitably fix the wiring.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Dec 2011
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.a.r.m.e.r View Post
Go buy a mcpx and try to flip it, then put the mcpx motor on the genius and try to flip it, you will find all the advantages the genius has over the mcpx all in that one test. You wanted my opinion you got it. If you want complete statistics on paper which hardly ever transate in the air then you got the wrong guy.

My opinion, mcpx motor is a great option for the genius as a matter of fact with the extra power it feels lighter let alone its different on paper. Kinda like a flight simulater vs real flying, you can gey away with murder on a flight simulater, on paper it might not make sense, but once in the air it starts to make sense.

Happy flying

Farmer

Hello

I have the mCPX, but not 3D skills.

That is why according to me, less weight doesn't only mean performances, it also means less problems in crashes. But I trust you about flipping.

Brushless HP03S motor seems to be approved by our "best walkera upgrading flyer (in france)", because it makes the heli lighter, with so much performances than with brushed motor. But according to you, it seems to be a problem with it compared to the mCPX motor.

I would also follow you, with an other argument about crashes. Brushless hp03S provides more power and more rotor speed, so that crashes could be more important, even if the heli is lighter. But it's just a supposition. I don't really know about the mCPX KV.

Do you think there is an advantage to the Genius about its servos in 3D flying ? Like more reactive or something else ?
Flo38 is offline Find More Posts by Flo38