HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:14 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
I think the numbers just above are fairly realistic... there may be a little variance batch to batch (and scale to scale )... and occasionally we learn how to make the airframes lighter through process....
That said.... AS3X itself adds VERY little weight. Probably the biggest installed weight change is the High Performance servos.
Of course in the case of the Beast, the out of the box battery is also larger.

Have fun,
David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,438 Posts
David,

Thanks for chiming in! As always, we appreciate it. BTW - do you happen to know the answer to RUDDERLESS's question regarding the use of the brick in a plane with single-servo ailerons?

Also, I was wondering about setting up the new brick for dual-channel ailerons, as we have been able do do with the earlier dual aileron servo planes. In the Beast 3D manual, it says to choose a simple airplane setup on the transmitter. Can we still set up dual-channel ailerons with the AS3X brick?

Thanks!

For the record - my scale was recently calibrated.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:30 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Silverexpress:

I am just a newbie to RC flying - don't listen to me. I do have lots of experience with the Beast airframe, probably around 500 flights. However I still don't have a fraction of knowledge, experience, or skill as someone like Turboparker or anyone else on this forum. Sure Turbo being the nice guy he is will say otherwise, but the truth is I have only been in this hobby since the start of summer 2011 and other people have been in this for 20+ years.

AS3X will be pretty awesome. I was in a really bad mood the other day. I do wish they would allow us to disable it, but like someone said, it's probably because they don't want people crashing the plane and asking for warranty replacements.

I'm sure we'll be able to find a way to disable it from correcting the servos, but it will be a hard hack and not a simple switch provided by HH. I think that if HH felt that AS3X wasn't worth its weight in gold, then they wouldn't take their best selling UMX and most popular and plop it in there without a way to disable it. HH is a company and they are looking for profit. To profit on this, they'd make damn sure that AS3X passed with all their expert/pro testers otherwise they'd just be slicing their own wrists. If they weren't sure about AS3X they'd bring it out on the T-28 or something first... not the Beast, their flagship UMX model besides the Sbach.

I certainly wouldn't cancel your order. The 3D Beast is going to be a big deal. $139 is still a good price. I am glad they were able to offer it at this price without the charger/battery instead of something like $169+ which I would of been upset.

December isn't too far away. We'll all know how well it functions soon. going forward, this is the only Beast we can purchase anyways so trust me, even if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it with no problems. Certainly not a bad investment either way.

SILVER - Your 3 axis unit is awesome. Did you do all the SMT board component soldering/work yourself? What is your job? I'm going to check out your code in the morning.
BC,

Lol, i was just joking about selling my board and code. My point was that we have no other alternative, and if we did it would not be as good an effort as Horizon's.

The code and board on that web page is not mine, it's Glen's (helihacker here on rcgroups). Great guy, and when he's not busy he is very helpful. He's done an awesome job demystifying these black boxes for all of us. His base code is freeware (but its for flybarless helis), and he sells the boards built or empty now and then. Just check out that webpage for details.

I'm using his stuff as he had intended...to learn. So somewhere down the road I can have something a bit more custom as far as functionality and features go for my planes. I hope to eventually contribute my stuff on his wiki page, but I'm far from done however.

Let me tell you, when I experienced (a crude form) what this technology could do to Microplanes I was blown away as to why there were no companies offering it or even hinting about it. Anyhow looking forward to December once again ;-)

(Ya you guys are alright. Now back to my geeky helmet cam)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Nov 01, 2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:21 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Basically, I'm betting that if you remove a good chunck of a aileron on a Beast 3D, the system will simply give more aileron on that side to compensate and still fly fine.
I also think it works perhaps not 100% perfect but good enough.
The other 6400BL bricks have also some advantage programming features like throttle range, brake setting, helimode and other, maybe possible there are some gyro settings.
Another question can i fly a torque roll or eliminate the AS3X all torque effects?
By the way, it seems that the Beast 3D, etc. ESCs are also programmable to some extent:
Page 6 of the Beast 3D manual (English)
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...-Manual_EN.pdf
mentions that
"If you accidentally connect the battery while the throttle is fully raised, the ESC will enter programming
mode. Disconnect the battery immediately."

I also saw some similar note in the Hyper Taxi manual.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:46 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Even the old Beast has this programming mode. I suspect it's just to program flaps, and the other things can would be normally programmed in v1 Beast.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:46 PM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post

YESSSS..at 05:35 Mike talks about the GeeBee and the cam in on the plane---what a awesome and cute plane...can't wait and there are many GeeBees around Mike and the reporter---that is hard to see
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:36 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,930 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtcEZM4B6Gw
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:58 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
WONDERFUL! I have been wavering between another Beast (Have one flying and a spare airframe sitting in a box) and this R2, at least for now. Think this video decided me on the GB. What an awesome looking little thing. Will just have to make a smooth runway for it I guess.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:20 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
That video above doesn't work.. it says its private. Check this one out:

UMX Gee Bee R2 BNF with AS3X Technology by E-flite (1 min 33 sec)
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:29 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Mike really sells the planes around the 6 minute mark of the video here:

ModelAviation.com interviews Horizon Hobby about AS3X (10 min 1 sec)

This is really starting to sound exciting.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:32 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,930 Posts
Quote:
Mike really sells the planes around the 6 minute mark of the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KJukVQaYIg

This is really starting to sound exciting.
"marketing speak" usually does
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:48 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
"marketing speak" usually does
Well yeah but hold up. Mike here is not marketing speak. He's laying his personal reputation on the line saying these things. He's speaking from the soul here not a script.

If he were up there reading from slides on the screen and making a practiced, well thought out speech, then fine - that's well rehearsed marketing speak.

But he's putting emotion in to it.. he's thinking of how he can say it on the spot.. he's speaking from his experience here and you can tell. You just don't start tying opinions to people like Mike and QQ without actually having those opinions be valid.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:00 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,930 Posts
Quote:
Well yeah but hold up. Mike here is not marketing speak. He's laying his personal reputation on the line saying these things. He's speaking from the soul here not a script.

If he were up there reading from slides on the screen and making a practiced, well thought out speech, then fine - that's well rehearsed marketing speak.

But he's putting emotion in to it.. he's thinking of how he can say it on the spot.. he's speaking from his experience here and you can tell. You just don't start tying opinions to people like Mike and QQ without actually having those opinions be valid.
Its him speaking to a reporter at a trade show, yes it may all be true and I hope it is, but he is there for sales and marketing. He works for HH so is going to spin it to all sound good. Peopel at trade shows are there to speak on the spot to highlight their producst to customers.

Again I'm not saying he isn't correct but take it with a grain of salt until we get our hands on it for an unbiased review. You think they would mention failing servos and motors in the previous UMs, don't think so.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:32 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Its him speaking to a reporter at a trade show, yes it may all be true and I hope it is, but he is there for sales and marketing. He works for HH so is going to spin it to all sound good. Peopel at trade shows are there to speak on the spot to highlight their producst to customers.

Again I'm not saying he isn't correct but take it with a grain of salt until we get our hands on it for an unbiased review. You think they would mention failing servos and motors in the previous UMs, don't think so.

You Canadians are always so negative!!
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:33 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
You Canadians are always so negative!!
Ha ha ha ha
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN