HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,002 Posts
Now that the programming thing is clear, looks like anybody that wants or needs the capability should be pretty free to roam. I would think there is a pretty large gap between the flying traits and basic design of the Beast and the GeeBee to fit a large majority of what folks are or want to be flying in it. Anyway, this makes total sense to me. Wind rolls plane to left, add some right aileron, wind blows nose down, add some up elev. All the planes I own react this way so if this thing is a miracle worker I may have to have some. Next question, how about my um stryker? I'll have to think about that one. - Edit - maybe the brick from the taxi?
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:28 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
....Next question, how about my um stryker? I'll have to think about that one. - Edit - maybe the brick from the taxi?
The HT's horizontal surfaces act as elevators & ailerons (ailevators), while the vertical surfaces act as rudders & ailerons (rudderons). On the Stryker, that would make the rudders operate in opposite directions when aileron is given - which would turn them into airbrakes, if you are using dual-channels for rudder.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 24, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,002 Posts
Shucks, forgot about the rudder on the bottom on the taxi. I guess it has two right? Thought maybe I found a real use for this brick.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:04 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Shucks, forgot about the rudder on the bottom on the taxi. I guess it has two right? Thought maybe I found a real use for this brick.
If you watch the video, you can see how it's mixed. All four surfaces act as ailerons.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:33 PM
Joined Jul 2009
176 Posts
Quote:
maybe just reverse one of the servo connections?
pow-wow is offline Find More Posts by pow-wow
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:43 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow-wow View Post
maybe just reverse one of the servo connections?
It's a mixing problem, not a servo-reversing problem. Reverse one of the servos & then the rudders would go in opposite directions. Any way you look at it - you don't want rudder mixed with aileron on the Stryker.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:57 AM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
963 Posts
I'm confused, why would you add 3 axis gyro to the Stryker?
It won't knife edge or hover no matter what, and handles wind very well as is?
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:07 AM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
OK, here's the answer guys. We had an internal left hand / right hand disconnect problem here.

Turns out that the Beast 3D and the Gee Bee, coincidentally, use the same settings.

Should give all you scratch builders and modders a little hope.
Dave, thanks--but what about Expo/DR ? Can I set my personal handling or it is impossible and I have to fly with the AS3X setting ?

Anyway...have you tried to fly the GeeBee prototype without AS3X ? I assume this should be a hard mission

Thanks for your answer and time
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:39 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
I'm confused, why would you add 3 axis gyro to the Stryker?
It won't knife edge or hover no matter what, and handles wind very well as is?
Definitively won't hover, but the Stryker can KE with a proper mix. There's a few videos around showing the big Stryker being KE by Quique (ok, he is a pro) all across a field, only a few feet above the ground. One of the video even show a wing strike, and he doesn't even loose control.

Now, with the AS3X board on the UM Stryker, it would be like an auto-mix. I suspect it would suddenly be easy to KE with it (though starting it would be the key here, and that would not be obvious!)

On the other side, with the AS3X onboard, boomerangs would likely not work that well, and I am not even sure elevator landings would!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
Joined Jul 2006
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Dave, thanks--but what about Expo/DR ? Can I set my personal handling or it is impossible and I have to fly with the AS3X setting ?
AS3X has nothing to do with Expo or DR and never correct the input but hold the plane to the input values and eliminate all external influences.
I expect the same feeling like the mcpx and you have to set DR/Expo to your personal preferences or the manual suggestions.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:05 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
AS3X has nothing to do with Expo or DR and never correct the input but hold the plane to the input values and eliminate all external influences.
I expect the same feeling like the mcpx and you have to set DR/Expo to your personal preferences or the manual suggestions.
microheli, right, but you expect- I too ! But want to hear the answer from the HH staff that we not have fix settings for the 3D Beast and GeeBee.
Hope somebody will confirm the free setting option in case of expo/DR.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:09 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
microheli, right, but you expect- I too ! But want to hear the answer from the HH staff that we not have fix settings for the 3D Beast and GeeBee.
Hope somebody will confirm the free setting option in case of expo/DR.
SLK,

The AS3X isn't flying the airplane - it's just damping out undesirable motion. You can set expo & rates any way you wish - just like you do on a flybarless heli. And just like on a flybarless heli - you want to make sure all surfaces are mechanically centered. Minimize tx trim, and never use sub-trim.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:19 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Ohh, I have a question that is begging to be asked.

Why can't we disable AS3X? Why the hell would HH force it down our throats like we shouldn't have a decision in the matter???

Is this just another corporate plot to screw us out of more money. I.e. we have to buy another old brick to install in the airframe once we realize that AS3x is screwing with our intended flight?

Think HH will answer this? Doubtful
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:54 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
ModelAviation.com interviews Horizon Hobby about AS3X (10 min 1 sec)
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:57 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
It is interesting how they say in one breath it is tuned to each airframe, but then they also tell us the Beast and GeeBee are using the same board and tuning. Makes it hard to seperate the marketing BS from reality. I guess time will tell when people get them hands on and start experimenting.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor