Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:53 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
MH,

That's close. But I'd rather have a selection of UMX 180-powered, AS3X-equipped, true-scale warbirds with flaps and retracts. I'd die for a true-scale UMX Jug or Lightning with a warbird-airfoiled wing, airfoiled tail, and all of the bells & whistles.

Joel
"UM"X B-17 with 4 180's and around 32" span?
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:53 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
"UM"X B-17 with 4 180's and around 32" span?
Now we're talkin'!!! With flaps & retracts, of course! It would be big enough to use the AR635 rx & separate ESCs. Run it on a 3s pack for improved efficiency.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 10, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:59 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Why not 1s? The mossie has plenty of power, with 120 grams of thrust it wouldn't be underpowered, unless it weighed almost 200 grams.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:26 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Why not 1s? The mossie has plenty of power, with 120 grams of thrust it wouldn't be underpowered, unless it weighed almost 200 grams.
Because 1s is terribly inefficient. Higher voltage & lower current is always the best way to go. It's simply Ohm's Law. And because pager motors were never intended to be used as powerplants. They have a 20-30% variability in power between samples, they are inefficient, and they have extremely short lifespans. It academic, anyway. You can't use a UM brick & tiny linear servos in a scale, 32" span, four-engine waribird with flaps & retracts. The AR635 won't operate on 1s, nor will the digital rotary servos that are a given with a 32" span plane. Besides - a 1s brushed B-17 with flaps, retracts, and AS3X would be a complete flop. Who would buy an advanced, full-featured four-engine warbird with pager motors & 1s power??

I want to see more advanced UMs, not more entry-level UMs. There are already a boatload of entry-level UMs. It's time for HH to take the micro side of the hobby to the next level, with features like flaps, retracts, scale airfoils, multi-engine brushless, etc.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:20 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
Quote:

I want to see more advanced UMs, not more entry-level UMs. There are already a boatload of entry-level UMs. It's time for HH to take the micro side of the hobby to the next level, with features like flaps, retracts, scale airfoils, multi-engine brushless, etc.

Joel

Yes Sir!

Let's start with UMX multi-engine brushless and go from there.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined May 2012
8,780 Posts
Heresy Alert:

I have a mini-air P-51 from nitroplanes.com and it's just about the same size dimensionally as the PZ UM P-51, runs on the same dumb type of pager motor, basically it's a clone. But, the airframe is much better than pz's. Still has some sort of cambered airfoil, they kinda hollowed out the outboard 3/4 of the wing on the bottom but the detail is waaaay ahead. It's just heavier, around 50g. And the included landing gear is completely useless. Sounds perfect for a 2s brushless.

Oh and the box shows that there are options for a P40, P47, P51, FW-190, and a Zero. Haven't seen anything other than the P51 for sale.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:57 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:

Joel
I totally agree with you, but I think it will be hard for them to do that, with all the comments we see on these forums like: "Wow, for the same price, I can buy a much larger airplane, or I can buy a clone for much less". I would love to see a B-17 with 4 brushless motors, and retract (and possibility to add a bomb bay!), but that would push the price of a "micro" over the $200 boundary, so more "sad" comments would pop up.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:51 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I totally agree with you, but I think it will be hard for them to do that, with all the comments we see on these forums like: "Wow, for the same price, I can buy a much larger airplane, or I can buy a clone for much less". I would love to see a B-17 with 4 brushless motors, and retract (and possibility to add a bomb bay!), but that would push the price of a "micro" over the $200 boundary, so more "sad" comments would pop up.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on that. I remember the whining about the UMX Beast being so much more expensive than the 1s UMs. I also remember thinking that the complainers needed a healthy dose of reality. Considering the Beast's breakthrough performance & leading-edge technology, it was a steal at that price! I hope that HH realizes that quite a few of us who fly UMs actually care about build-quality, excellent engineering, and the finer points of flight-performance - rather than rushing to post a link to some cheaply-made, poorly-engineered knock-off whenever HH announces a new plane.

It's a shame that so many people have been brainwashed into thinking that size and/or bells & whistles determine how much everything should cost. I call it the 'commodity mentality'. That may work for soap, but of course it doesn't apply at all to electronic & mechanical things.

I actually know people who buy TVs based upon bells & whistles, screen-size, and price - rather than build-quality & picture quality. If they can get a bigger screen or more bells & whistles on the cheap, they go for it - regardless of how poorly the TV performs in comparison tests, and regardless of how repair-prone the brand may be. Of course, they fail to make the connection when their cheaply-made TV has problems after only a few years. They just buy another crappy, cheaply-made TV to take its place.

This misguided mentality is responsible for the ever-growing glut of cheaply-made, poorly-engineered products today. Ugh!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:43 AM
Joined May 2012
8,780 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on that. I remember the whining about the UMX Beast being so much more expensive than the 1s UMs. I also remember thinking that the complainers needed a healthy dose of reality. Considering the Beast's breakthrough performance & leading-edge technology, it was a steal at that price! I hope that HH realizes that quite a few of us who fly UMs actually care about build-quality, excellent engineering, and the finer points of flight-performance - rather than rushing to post a link to some cheaply-made, poorly-engineered knock-off whenever HH announces a new plane.

It's a shame that so many people have been brainwashed into thinking that size and/or bells & whistles determine how much everything should cost. I call it the 'commodity mentality'. That may work for soap, but of course it doesn't apply at all to electronic & mechanical things.

I actually know people who buy TVs based upon bells & whistles, screen-size, and price - rather than build-quality & picture quality. If they can get a bigger screen or more bells & whistles on the cheap, they go for it - regardless of how poorly the TV performs in comparison tests, and regardless of how repair-prone the brand may be. Of course, they fail to make the connection when their cheaply-made TV has problems after only a few years. They just buy another crappy, cheaply-made TV to take its place.

This misguided mentality is responsible for the ever-growing glut of cheaply-made, poorly-engineered products today. Ugh!

Joel
I actually don't agree 100% with this, although there's truth to it. Case in point, I just purchased a carbon cub ss for $170. I have a 55" Cessna I got for $120. That's a bigger plane, also a cheaper plane. I believe there are many people out there who, due to space constraints, and just being fans of micro planes, would purchase UMX brushless micros. I have larger planes and they're all fun to fly but there's just something about flying a little micro.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:00 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
I actually know people who buy TVs based upon bells & whistles, screen-size, and price - rather than build-quality & picture quality. If they can get a bigger screen or more bells & whistles on the cheap, they go for it - regardless of how poorly the TV performs in comparison tests, and regardless of how repair-prone the brand may be. Of course, they fail to make the connection when their cheaply-made TV has problems after only a few years. They just buy another crappy, cheaply-made TV to take its placel
It's even worst in the car industry!!! Car are expensive, yet, when you watch the advertising, they don't talk about safety, or mechanical aspects, but they are selling gadjets! People buy a $30K car because they can connect their phone via Bluetooth... Ask them what size motor they have, they don't know, ask them how many airbags they have, they don't know... Ask them what size/type tires they have, they don't know. But hey, the car has bluetooth! Or park itself, or has a GPS built-in.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
......or has a GPS built-in.
The $$$ built-in GPS option is a tax on stupidity!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
The $$$ built-in GPS option is a tax on stupidity!

Oh, I don't know... seeing local traffic flows during rush-hour is very nice.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined May 2012
8,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
That's the only thing I can think of to use a car GPS for, and I just use google maps on my phone. I don't understand the people who have a windshield mounted GPS in their car.... do you seriously need directions to work and home every day?

For the record I think turboparker is mainly right about the sheeple that gripe about cost only etc. but I think that the ultra micros are already there, you can find cheaper knock offs and bigger just as expensive planes anywhere. You can't find the quality, customer service, and design. And I think people realize this, which is why they still sell very well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:33 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
You don't need the $$$ built-in GPS for that!

It's free on my phone (which I can stick on the windshield if I want to):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SxB7bqkmXtI

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:37 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
I agree that price is right with their quality, but these damn QC issues are pushing it.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower