HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:23 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Well mine has been sat in the box for weeks now, after all my servo failures on the B3D I dont even want to fly it
You should sell it and make somebody else happy instead of keeping such a nice airplane in it's box!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:45 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Can you assign servo to a particular channel (servo mapping)???..Let's say if installing the AS3X brick from a Beast 3D into another airframe that has the servo horns opposite of the servos on the brick..With programming can you assign the channels to any ouput on the brick that you need to???

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:16 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
UM Spitfire with AS3X, displayed today at the Horizon Air Meet in Sanford, Maine.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:53 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Can you assign servo to a particular channel (servo mapping)???..Let's say if installing the AS3X brick from a Beast 3D into another airframe that has the servo horns opposite of the servos on the brick..With programming can you assign the channels to any ouput on the brick that you need to???

Kevin
No. You'd have to mix it in the Txer.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
No. You'd have to mix it in the Txer.
Ok---

But for split elevators---If I mix/slave the elevator into the 5th channel will the gyro work on the slaved 5th channel???...

Kevin
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:57 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
No. But if you tap the ELE signal from the chip to an external servo it would.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
No. But if you tap the ELE signal from the chip to an external servo it would.
Hmmmm....Aaaaarrrrggg!!!...I hate to ask but can you post a pic of where the signal output is located???...I can figure out the ground and positive outputs...By the way---You da MAN!!!...

I do have a micro gyro and a 1.7 gram "standard" type servo to run the elevator from...But I hate to cobble up a system when I can access the brick...

One of the major things that guys have complained about is that the elevator servo on the Beast 3D brick is bad...I'm also thinking that you could bypass the elevator servo on the brick and install a well made/better separate "standard" elevator servo by accessing the signal to the elevator so that the AS3X system would still work...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Sep 06, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:36 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
I'll source it out Kevin.

One thing I have noticed is the Beast bricks servo's work hard and it's now apparent why there's a heatsink on the regulator. That thing gets hot! A double up would extend the life of it.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
I'll source it out Kevin.

One thing I have noticed is the Beast bricks servo's work hard and it's now apparent why there's a heatsink on the regulator. That thing gets hot! A double up would extend the life of it.
Great!!!...Thanks for your time to hunt down the signal output...

I have another set of servo mechanics coming in tonight...(My wife went to the hobby shop for me today on her 160 mile round trip to the big city!!!)...I'm hoping that the new mechanics fixes the problem but I want a "plan B" in place in case the new mechanics don't work...The thing is that I've always been able to adjust the wipers on the servo to contact the rails on the brick and have managed 100% of the time to fix the erratically acting servo...A cleaning of the rails usually works along with adjusting the wipers on the servo...This is the first time I've been unsuccessfull...I'm concerned that more is wrong with the system and is in the brick itself...

Anyway---In a couple of hours I'll have the new servo mechanics and we'll see!!!

Kevin
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:20 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
On the board I was looking over just now - the elevator servo was jittering every time it moved and seemed like it was hunting zero. Removing the assembly revealed a spot of oil right in the center of the tracks. One wipe - one problem solved.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
On the board I was looking over just now - the elevator servo was jittering every time it moved and seemed like it was hunting zero. Removing the assembly revealed a spot of oil right in the center of the tracks. One wipe - one problem solved.
I removed the servo mechanics from the brick and wiped down the tracks with both alcohol and denatured alcohol...I wiped the wipers of the servo as well...I also lightly scuffed (with 1000 grit paper) the wipers to get a better contact with the track...No dice...I'm thinking that the motor got too hot as the nylon motor mounts were warped...I'm hoping that the brick hasn't been harmed...

The wife will be back shortly with the new servo mechanics...

Kevin
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:17 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Yep, replace the motor for sure.

After inspecting the board, it looks as if the main chip is doing the servo processing work for the onboard servo's so there's no signal to access as such.

A fun test would be to hook the external servo's motor wires up to the onboard servo's motor pads and drive it as a blind slave. Not sure of the outcome but it would be fun to see how long it could run for before it goes out of alignment and needs a recentering.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
I was looking at a V1 Beast brick and there's a trace coming off of the rails/tracks to a test point....I would think that this is the signal test point...I find no such test point on the AS3X brick...

Without a signal back to the brick to report the position of the pot on the servo I would think that a servo motor connected to the +/- outputs on the brick would just have the servo locking in one extreme position or the other...What would be needed is a control rod from the servo to actuate the wiper from the servo to give the servo a direction to go......

I haven't given up the faith!!!---But I am down on my knees hoping that the new servo mechanics work!!!......

Kevin
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:24 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
No, the motor spins the same time and direction as the onboard servo motor does. It's just a slave.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
No, the motor spins the same time and direction as the onboard servo motor does. It's just a slave.
I was talking about having the servo removed on the brick...Since I can't get the servo on the brick to move (servo locks in full up and won't go to the down position) in my mind I was imagining the servo on the brick being removed and the slave needing a way to know what position it was in...

You are right with your suggestion---If the slaved servo was connected to the motor outputs then the slave would move in unison with the servo on the brick...IF the servo on the brick worked!!!

Kevin