Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:30 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
RG,

Looks like many of the icharger models can measure 'per-cell' IR for lithium batts...
http://www.progressiverc.com/chargers.html

Lil bro sure loves his!

rc
I had just found them two minutes ago... (been looking since my last post!). Reliability with them, seem to be an issue though. Could be because they have been cloned I guess. Love the price for sure.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:17 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
RG,

Was that Joel on the sticks of the 450X ???

rc
RC,

Now that was funny!! <attempts to hover mCP X inverted and crashes>

I am thinking about picking one up, though. Would be about the perfect size for my backyard, and I can use my Hyp & TP 2200 3s packs from my PA Extra.

Back to the AS3X - although I am looking forward to it, I don't think it would be a good idea for beginners to learn how to fly with a system like this. Also, I'm thinking that there will now be even more low-time pilots who try to jump from something like the UM Champ directly to the Beast or Gee Bee. Sort of like what happened when low-time mSR pilots flocked to the mCP X, in hopes that it would be an easy path to CP & aerobatics. Since the mXP X is nearly as durable as the mSR, the many of them managed to get through the steep CP learning curve without spending too much on parts. But these planes won't be anywhere near as forgiving as the mCP X.

With the time-change, my after-work flying is done for the season. Got home at 5:15 and it was already too dark to fly. Hope our indoor sessions start soon. Looking forward to flying the new Beast in there.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Nov 08, 2011, 01:27 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Back to the AS3X - although I am looking forward to it, I don't think it would be a good idea for beginners to learn how to fly with a system like this. Also, I'm thinking that there will now be even more low-time pilots who try to jump from something like the UM Champ directly to the Beast or Gee Bee. Sort of like what happened when low-time mSR pilots flocked to the mCP X, in hopes that it would be an easy path to CP & aerobatics. Since the mXP X is nearly as durable as the mSR, the many of them managed to get through the steep CP learning curve without spending too much on parts. But these planes won't be anywhere near as forgiving as the mCP X.
As a question: what should one fly in between something like a UM Champ and a Beast or Gee Bee?
An intermediate plane like a UM T28 without AS3X?

For me, I think that a more durable AS3X would be an EPP (plus CF rod) version of the HyperTaxi. Being a mid-prop, it already has some prop/motor protection.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Nov 08, 2011, 01:31 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
As a question: what should one fly in between something like a UM Champ and a Beast or Gee Bee?
An intermediate plane like a UM T28 without AS3X?

For me, I think that a more durable AS3X would be an EPP (plus CF rod) version of the HyperTaxi. Being a mid-prop, it already has some prop/motor protection.
flying-llama,
The T-28 is generally considered an excellent next plane after the champ. That is the route I took to the beast and do not regret it.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:31 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
FL,

As WSEN noted, the T-28 is an excellent next step after the Champ. Many pilots have gone that route. However a number of them also remarked about the steep jump from the T-28 to the Beast. Essentially, the T-28 is an aileron trainer that looks like a warbird. Going from the T-28 directly to the Beast is still a pretty big jump for many pilots. The Pole Cat would also be a good choice for an intermediate plane. She's definitely more challenging to fly than the T-28, but she is also much more maneuverable. She's fast, and she handles like a sport-aerobatic ship - which helps to prepare the pilot for purpose-built aerobatic planes. Mastering the Pole Cat makes the transition to unlimited aerobatic ships such as the Beast much easier - as compared to going from the T-28 to the Beast. Plus - with the Pole Cat, you get past the crashing stage on a plane that handles more like an aerobatic ship, yet is much more robust than the UMX planes.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 08, 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:52 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
FL,

As WSEN noted, the T-28 is an excellent next step after the Champ. Many pilots have gone that route. However a number of them also remarked about the steep jump from the T-28 to the Beast. Essentially, the T-28 is an aileron trainer that looks like a warbird. Going from the T-28 directly to the Beast is still a pretty big jump for many pilots. The Pole Cat would also be a good choice for an intermediate plane. She's definitely more challenging to fly than the T-28, but she is also much more maneuverable. She's fast, and she handles like a sport-aerobatic ship - which helps to prepare the pilot for purpose-built aerobatic planes. Mastering the Pole Cat makes the transition to unlimited aerobatic ships such as the Beast much easier - as compared to going from the T-28 to the Beast. Plus - with the Pole Cat, you get past the crashing stage on a plane that handles more like an aerobatic ship, yet is much more robust than the UMX planes.

Joel
I agree with Joel. T-28 to Beast is a pretty good leap. Polecat would be a good intermediate step. I am wondering now perhaps the new GB may fill the same spot?
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:34 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
I agree with Joel. T-28 to Beast is a pretty good leap. Polecat would be a good intermediate step. I am wondering now perhaps the new GB may fill the same spot?
Given that the Gee Bee is supposed to behave like a good pattern ship, I think it will likely fill the spot in terms of handling - but I doubt that it will fare nearly as well in a crash as the Pole Cat or XP. I've heard that the Pole Cat is about as bullet-proof as the XP, and it's easier to fly. I know quite a few pilots who successfully transitioned from the Champ to the XP. They were successful because the XP is nearly indestructible when flown over grass. With the Gee Bee, low-time pilots will likely be so afraid to crash that it will slow their progress. (AS3X won't fix 'dumb-thumbs', which are the primary cause of all RC crashes - beginner or expert!)

<opens can of worms>

Also, I think that it's best to learn the basics of flight on a non-assisted airframe. Learning how to deal with tip-stalls, learning how to compensate for torque/P-factor/slipstream/gyroscopic effects, learning how to recognize airframe tuning issues, learning how CG placement affects things like pitch coupling in KE and throttle-pitch coupling in normal flight - these are important skills, and are likely to remain so for some time. I believe that in the long run, a pilot will be better off if he/she develops those skills before moving to an AS3X-equipped plane.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 08, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:53 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,954 Posts
HH has pushed Gee Bee and Taxi availability back to January.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLU4580
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:39 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,827 Posts
I just listened to the podcast from horizon with Mike Mconaville (the guy who helped build the new Ax3s system) and I am just thinking am I nuts or what? They keep saying the new beast can be flown in wind w/o fear and it fly good, I have the first beast and i fly mine when guys wont even fly there 60 sized planes cause of wind. one of the guys even tells people wind doesn't bother me cause I am flying a 2 ounce plane in the wind.

My beast does fly very well in the wind. if the new beast going to fly any better I could not live with myself. Technology is insane today. by 2015 you be able to have auto pilot on all your planes what is the fun in that? I enjoy some challenge while i fly.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Last edited by epoweredrc; Nov 09, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:47 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
I just listened to the podcast from horizon with Mike Mconaville (the guy who helped build the new Ax3s system) and I am just thinking am I nuts or what? They keep saying the new beast can be flown in wind w/o fear and it fly good, I have the first beast and i fly mine when guys wont even fly there 60 sized planes cause of wind. one of the guys even tells people wind doesn't bother me cause I am flying a 2 ounce plane in the wind.

My beast does fly very well in the wind. if the new beast going to fly any better I could not live with myself. Technology is insane today. by 2015 you be able to have auto pilot on all your planes what is the fun in that? I enjoy some challenge while i fly.
Epowered,

The primary reason RC pilots migrate to large & giant-scale planes is because they handle similarly to their full-scale counterparts - and are not twitchy. Remember - it is large/giant-scale planes that fly "correctly" - not UM planes.

So, now we can enjoy the realistic handling of a giant-scale plane in our backyards - without spending thousands of dollars or needing acres of space in which to fly. What's not to like?

As you know, I've been flying UM planes since the original Sukhoi came out. Currently, I have 4 Beasts & 2 Sbachs. Sure - the Beast & Sbach can handle some wind. Hell, I maidened my Beast in a 17 MPH wind! I used to fly my XP in 15+ MPH winds - just for grins. However, attempting to practice pattern aerobatics with the Beast or Sbach in 15+ MPH gusts is not my idea of fun. I already know how to fly in high winds; frankly - I don't need more practice. I simply don't find it fun to fly in high winds with planes that were designed for precision aerobatics. Forcing a UM plane to fly a decent up-line in 15 MPH gusts is a "challenge" that does nothing to improve my real-world flying skills. It's about the same as practicing pattern aerobatics with a 60-size plane in 40 MPH gusts - and pretty much nobody does that. I'd rather spend my time working on improving my aerobatic skills than fighting the wind.

I've been dreaming of backyard fliers that fly like their giant-scale counterparts for decades! A scale UM plane that handles like its 1/3-scale counterpart? Bring it on!!!

Joel
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:54 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post

o.k..nobody can see in the future but in the past, maybe 10 years ago nobody couldn't assumed, guessed and believed what is possible today

I can wait...(for the GeeBee )
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:15 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that kuczy.

Beast 3D flight vid gives me some hope...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...FLU4850_Hi.wmv

rc
the vid is very nice, but- the pilot is one of the best and it's not real 3D...we would see if some hover torque rolls are enough to buy another Beast if you have the first one.
I fly only at calm days and best weather conditons with Beast and SBach...for intermediates I have the tiny stryker and now the big brother of him , also other bigger models.

Hmm, I bought my second Beast (sale offer), currently new in box, for bad days some month ago-therefore I will wait for the first review.
In my opinion there must be a big benefit to buy the 3D Beast.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:50 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,827 Posts
Joel, I do not disagree just I do infact fly my Micro beast on days when some my other planes are unflyable. the beast handles it good, now I do not fly it IMAC or SPA I am just flying for fun. I love going WOT doing snap rolls, spins. making it fly KE and inverted. I like harriering it and hovering a lil. i admit it takes a bit to make it hover and it likes to fall out of it. Guess should post a video of me flying it. now sure NO wind at all is best for harriering but i can fly into the wind on a windy day and land at my feet. There all fun to me.

the SU26 was a ball in like 10mph + as I could do non moving rolls sitting in one spot and made it fly backwads too LOL I just like to play like that but that's just me.
Your right bigger planes fly more stable and precise.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:29 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
the vid is very nice, but- the pilot is one of the best and it's not real 3D...we would see if some hover torque rolls are enough to buy another Beast if you have the first one.
I fly only at calm days and best weather conditons with Beast and SBach...for intermediates I have the tiny stryker and now the big brother of him , also other bigger models.

Hmm, I bought my second Beast (sale offer), currently new in box, for bad days some month ago-therefore I will wait for the first review.
In my opinion there must be a big benefit to buy the 3D Beast.
Not having to wait for calm days & best wx conditions is a huge benefit in my opinion. Also - having a scale backyard flier that behaves like a giant-scale ship is something I've been dreaming about for decades. So, there's the second big benefit.

I didn't get into giant-scale because I wanted to buy a trailer or a second vehicle that's big enough to haul my hobby around. I didn't get into giant-scale because I love spending thousands of dollars on planes & enjoy burning through 4-6 gallons of glow-fuel every week (got into them before gassers were the way to go). I didn't get into giant-scale because I love spending an hour per plane on assembly & preflight inspection every time I get to the field. Rather - I got into giant-scale because the planes handle very similar to their full-scale counterparts (nearly the opposite of existing UMs), and because I don't have to wait for nearly windless days & ideal wx to fly them. I regarded the overall cost of the planes & a second vehicle to haul them around as a high price to pay for realistic handling.

With AS3X-equipped UMs, I can have the 'giant-scale experience' in my backyard. Plus, I can buy the planes for less than I used to spend on glow-fuel in a week of flying my large/giant-scale ships. I'm sold!

Joel
Old Nov 09, 2011, 07:04 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,827 Posts
I am not 100% on the giant scale flying likeness ability, I have flown many Large Quarter scale (20-40ish% planes) nothing i do not think will ever fly like they do. I know they said on the podcast you can roll it up and it hold itself, Well maybe it will they said it flys like a perfectly trimmed out plane. maybe it will but even if it does it still won't be like flying a large one. I love large planes always have as far as looks and people letting me fly them yes they cost a lot. and the Micro beast to me and many others do not fly like a micro it flys just as well as a 20'ish sized plane