HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:13 PM
Gravity hates me.
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
Cool
New UMX Beast 3d!

This looks incredible! The UMX beast is back!

UMX Beast 3D BNF Basic
Key Features
AS3X System for outstanding precision and 3D flight
6-Channel DSM2 Ultra Micro AS3X RX/BL/ESC unit with Spektrum technology
Full four-channel control with steerable tail wheel
Performance Linear Long Throw Servos
High-output BL180, 2500Kv brushless outrunner motor
Efficient E-flite 5 x 2.75 propeller
Fully enclosed battery for clean looks (battery not included)
Rigid construction for better handling
Detailed paint scheme with brilliant graphics and a tinted canopy
Overview
The E-flite UMX™ Beast® 3D is a totally new experience in all-out 3D flight capability and satisfaction from an amazing aircraft that doesn’t need any more space than a small park, yard or indoor gym to be enjoyed. Enhanced with the AS3X System, the UMX Beast 3D is specifically set with an aft CG and large control surface deflections for maximum maneuverability. However, instead of handling that feels super-sensitive, the UMX Beast 3D, with the AS3X System, flies ultra smooth, even in conditions considered windy. Plus, you get locked-in precision and the outstanding control authority necessary to perform 3D more confidently. Designed by aerobatic world champion Quique Somenzini, this authentic UMX re-creation of the full-scale Beast delivers precision aerobatic and 3D excitement with the kind of stability and authority more in common with aircraft many times its actual size. And you get all the benefits without having to spend a lot of time programming. No mixing is required – just add your Li-Po battery, bind to a basic DSM2™/DSMX airplane transmitter setup, and the UMX Beast 3D will instantly offer you the best flight experience possible.

It's all about control. Before AS3X, stability and agility were typically limited to a narrow control range any attempt to gain more stability meant a sacrifice of agility or vice versa. With AS3X, there is no compromise. You get dramatically more control, plus more stability and agility than ever dreamed possible. Whether you're an airplane or helicopter pilot, the comprehensive control AS3X offers feels very natural, even in moderate winds, so you always get the best flying experience possible.

AS3X equipped aircraft will change the way you'll want to fly now and in the future.

There's nothing special you need to do to take advantage of the invigorating control an AS3X System equipped airplane will offer you. Every airplane equipped with the AS3X System is painstakingly tuned so that you enjoy the locked-in feel and control authority that will help show off your RC pilot skills
3dRCrazy is offline Find More Posts by 3dRCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:05 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Sep 2008
293 Posts
What is going to happen to all of the people who "learn" how to hover a plane with Gyro stabilization, then go to a plane without? I think it is a nice idea, being able to fly in windy conditions, but I wonder if it is not taking some of the challenge out of learning 3d moves.
I watched the video of the system compensating for a cross wind on the beast. It is impressive how quickly it will react and counter a force. That being said, I want no part in it. I like the challenge of flying precisely in the wind, and hovering, harriering, and putting a plane through a knife edge pass without the assistance of a gyro (or 3 in this case.)
prozac is offline Find More Posts by prozac
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:36 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac View Post
What is going to happen to all of the people who "learn" how to hover a plane with Gyro stabilization, then go to a plane without? I think it is a nice idea, being able to fly in windy conditions, but I wonder if it is not taking some of the challenge out of learning 3d moves.
I watched the video of the system compensating for a cross wind on the beast. It is impressive how quickly it will react and counter a force. That being said, I want no part in it. I like the challenge of flying precisely in the wind, and hovering, harriering, and putting a plane through a knife edge pass without the assistance of a gyro (or 3 in this case.)
its probably going to help people advance faster, just turn it down as you get better.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:02 PM
Denver Colorado
Joined Jan 2010
921 Posts
Quote:
You do realize that 3D'ing a micro is not easy to learn with period.
grubby is offline Find More Posts by grubby
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:19 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,638 Posts
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with the use of technology to improve one's flight experience. They've been doing this with micro helis with great success and it's enabled a lot of people to experience helis at a very cheap price when they otherwise would have never tried it.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:25 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
This was inevitable. Single gyros in balsa planes aren't really as great as you might think...However, when I saw 3axis gyros in heli's, I was thinking...hmmm, now that is interesting. Surely did not expect to see a 3axis system in a umx first though. Although, the stabilization in the mCX2 and the mSR etc hinted at what was possible..just had to jump to planes. Guess it wasn't the leap that I though.

For my money...Horizon has made a quantum leap and sales should be staggeringly wonderful. Merry Christmas!!!!!!

On the "but you cant fly without it" arguement, I think it does not really hold that much water. These will be good practice planes for now. In the future, flight stabilization will be the norm. It's not actually that new and has been available for years..this is just more advanced. There was a time when computer radios and mixing was considered cheating.....time and technology march on.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Last edited by KE Spin; Oct 21, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:24 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Quote:
I gotta agree on this too. I would love the stabilization to assist in smaller planes etc etc. But hovering a plane hands off is not 3D to me, flying with an autopilot more like it.

Some guys dont like how putting mixing into planes makes it easier. This is kind of the next step it seems.

I will not pass judgement yet. I would like to see how this is Wont see me with a 3 axis gyro on my 100CC anytime soon thats OFC.

All that being said. I am looking forward to seeing this and flying one.
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:42 AM
Suisse, Genève, Genève
Joined Sep 2010
133 Posts
Interesting. Will this system be sold separately to equip other (larger) models ?
saltomortale is offline Find More Posts by saltomortale
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:27 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
I don't think it is available separately per se...but you could pull the "guts" out of one plane and stick them in another. When spares become available you should probably be able to buy the assembly that contains the as3x module (3axis gyro) and use it in other planes of similar size. I'm not sure if this is like a 5in1 which has all of the components on one board.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:52 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltomortale View Post
Interesting. Will this system be sold separately to equip other (larger) models ?
Not do this and pass up "flybarless" airplanes CASHCOW. Horizon- I think not. We will see this eventually just not in it's current form yet.
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:24 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2011
297 Posts
Quote:
don't look at it as a crutch, but as a first step.

i thought that when i was learning to hover on realflight with a plane with a gyro, and would hover nearly hands off, but that was more like a stepping stone to getting the muscle memory and getting used to the inputs you need to make to hold a hover. now i can hover just about any 3d plane in the sim.
Strizzo is offline Find More Posts by Strizzo
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:27 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
[QUOTE=Strizzo;19655388]don't look at it as a crutch, but as a first step.[QUOTE]

+1 Surely the debate will rage. (or fly futaba and not worry about it)
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:18 AM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltomortale View Post
The AS3X system is going to be built into the board. It's going to be the AS3X, ESC, and rec. in one. And from what the HH guys have said is each one is specifically tuned for that particular model type. So you couldn't rip the board out of the Beast3D and put it in say a pylon racer and expect it to play nice.

And don't think of this system as a auto pilot. Or anti-crash device. From what I've read it's more to help keeping the plane more stable in the wind, which is very hard to do with a 2oz piece of foam. But will also help keep the plane stable in moves like a KE or harrier.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,638 Posts
wonder if this technology will find its way in to the larger airframes?
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:32 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
wonder if this technology will find its way in to the larger airframes?

there's nothing stopping it... XPS will have a line of receivers with 3 axis gyros built in...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM