HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Aug 2008
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I think there are some pretty narrow minded views of what this plane is good for and how it should be flown.

Get a grip!

I think nothing is more fun than some high speed and a windy day! I used 3200KV motors on 15 V1 planes. All but a couple are still flying by various club members. They are a blast to fly. I have had flight times of up to an hour.

My V2 will definitely be a screamer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFnsq_vlyR4
I think you might have missed the words 'stock prop'.
Mehari is offline Find More Posts by Mehari
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:51 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Can someone with ailerons post a pic of the bottom of their plane with the wings attached, specifically the area where the servo leads connect to the extension? It would be much appreciated, thanks!
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:54 AM
Joined Aug 2008
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker View Post
Can someone with ailerons post a pic of the bottom of their plane with the wings attached, specifically the area where the servo leads connect to the extension? It would be much appreciated, thanks!
If you use MPX Nano-S servos the leads don't need to be extended.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:09 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehari View Post
If you don't, you will need to carve out an extra recess for the connector, and then try and wedge more wire into the recess already there.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:05 AM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehari View Post
I'm referring to the extension thats glued into the body of the plane, allowing your wings to be removable.
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:29 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I haven't put the ailerons into my ESII wings.. but the next wing set on the way will get them. I expect the connection will look like this.. already prepared the fuselage when it was built.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:58 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
The EasyStar II is also popular with model flying schools:
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Aug 2008
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker View Post
I'm referring to the extension thats glued into the body of the plane, allowing your wings to be removable.
Try these.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:38 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
The ES II wing I ordered from Tower got here yesterday.. installed ailerons on it, to fly with flaperones.. Here is the first flight this morning..
Confirming a fear I'd developed about the DX-7 transmitter I've been using, which recently caused 3 crashes.. when the plane flew out of range!
Looking at the transmitter antenna where the antenna bends, I see the wire in there is broken... And there's no replacements, and the new Spektrum transmitters won't operate the AR6000 receivers I have a whole herd of!
The short flight.
Flying out of range with a Spektrum DX-7 radio! (0 min 54 sec)
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
Hi,
First time RC enthusist here. I have done a bit of research and I have decided I want to build the Easystar 2 initially to learn to fly and eventually upgrade to semi-autonomous flight. I have 0 experience in building RC vehicles but wish to learn. Before I purchase equipment can someone tell me if this equipment is acceptable for the Easystar 2:

On the plane:
Easystar 2 kit
Turnigy 2836 brussless outrunner 1200kv
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C LiPo pack
Turnigy Plush 25 amp speed controller
Turnigy TGY0R1580 Servos (x 4)
2 x 300mm JR extension cords
JR battery box for receiver
Spektrum AR600 (6-channel) Rx
Spektrum Dx6i Tx

Equipment
Battery charger
?????

Tools for building:
Locktight?
?????

As I am completely new I would like an idea on what tools would be good. I have seen lots of different builds of the UAV, from what I have seen there are heaps of people with their own mini-workshop. I have no such thing at home so to save money, essential tools would be ideal.

My end goal is to build a different much larger UAV for autonmous flight. Possibly enter the outback challenge in Australia in 2014. Before we do that, I need to begin with small steps .

I really appreciate your feedback. THere are soo many pages on this topic it is hard to find information as equipment that was purchased 6 yrs ago is now outdated.
abmcdonald is offline Find More Posts by abmcdonald
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:12 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Not many adhesive/paints will stick to the foam on the ESII. I use Smith Brother's UFO Friendly for the CA, and ZAP Zapgoo PT-12 to stick things on it. Every paint I've tried doesn't stick.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:52 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abmcdonald View Post
Hi,
First time RC enthusist here. I have done a bit of research and I have decided I want to build the Easystar 2 initially to learn to fly and eventually upgrade to semi-autonomous flight. I have 0 experience in building RC vehicles but wish to learn. Before I purchase equipment can someone tell me if this equipment is acceptable for the Easystar 2:

On the plane:
Easystar 2 kit
Turnigy 2836 brussless outrunner 1200kv
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C LiPo pack
Turnigy Plush 25 amp speed controller
Turnigy TGY0R1580 Servos (x 4)
2 x 300mm JR extension cords
JR battery box for receiver
Spektrum AR600 (6-channel) Rx
Spektrum Dx6i Tx

Equipment
Battery charger
?????

Tools for building:
Locktight?
?????

As I am completely new I would like an idea on what tools would be good. I have seen lots of different builds of the UAV, from what I have seen there are heaps of people with their own mini-workshop. I have no such thing at home so to save money, essential tools would be ideal.

My end goal is to build a different much larger UAV for autonmous flight. Possibly enter the outback challenge in Australia in 2014. Before we do that, I need to begin with small steps .

I really appreciate your feedback. THere are soo many pages on this topic it is hard to find information as equipment that was purchased 6 yrs ago is now outdated.
abmcdonald,

your first post - welcome to the forum and the addictive joy of flying! But may I suggest you do a little more reading and searching before you fire away questions that have been asked and answered repeatedly?

A few hints, though:

The 2836 (28mm diameter, 36mm long) motor is too long to fit the stock pod. Use a 2830mm instead. 1200KV is OK.

You won't need a battery box to power the receiver; the ESC will take care of that.

The 2200mAH battery is fine.

I'm not sure about the servo size, but I refuse do the search for you.

I would suggest a cheaper radio for a start. The radio won't be the limiting factor for you for a while, and in case you don't fall in love with RC flying it a smaller loss.

Same goes for the charger.

Use medium CA (CyanoAcrylate) superglue for kit assembly. Using an activator won't hurt. I use a $7 hot glue gun for securing the servos and other small parts that may need to come off again.

Did you consider getting a rft plane/package?

Finally, get a little simulator time before wrecking the real plane. Also read one of the many threads on advice for newbies. If possible, get an experienced RC pilot to help you out on the first flight.

14 months ago, I was in the exact same situation as you and managed to get airborne without simulator time and instruction but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. The FMS is a simple, but free simulator, and it will help you learn distinguish between left and right when coming and going.

Happy landings
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:34 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Mike-o, I'm using a Turnigy 2836-1500kv in my ES2. Fits fine. I extended the wire management tube up to touch the motor pod cover so they couldn't slip over and contact the motor bell.

I've returned to the St. Croix river. I had a bit of fun attempting to take off in 2-3" of fresh powdery snow. I kept dragging a wing tip, causing ground loops.

St. Croix River in Winter - RC Aerial (3 min 14 sec)
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:17 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,393 Posts
Karl,

thanks for straigthening that out. It's been a while since I built my ES2. I put the ESC in the pod, so, that's probably why I imagine having problems fitting a 2836mm can in there.

Nice video, btw. I love the 60->30fps editing, I wish I could do that, but my 808 #16 only provides raw video of 30fps
Nice music as well - reminds me very much of Eric Satie, an eccentric French composer and pianist preceeding Kevin MacLeod by a 100 years or so:
Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No.1 (3 min 37 sec)
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:36 PM
Huntington Beach CA
Joined Jan 2008
153 Posts
Speaking of servos...
Does anyone know how to look up the parkzone servos on servodatabase.com?
socalsteve is offline Find More Posts by socalsteve