HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
No. They would have spotted an inconsistency, and not necessarily an error...
Ok, well I correctly assumed the official data was correct while you decided not to get the EZ* MkII based on what some bloke on the internet said.

There's probably a lesson for you to learn from this little episode.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Obviously the EasyStar II is not as heavy as claimed by the user with the broken scales.

Jürgen
Obviously someone didn't have time to check out and understand my buildlog otherwise it would become instantly obvious for that person that MY EasyStar was NOT made "by the book" so it's weight could and WILL deviate from what's stated in the manual. I admit that almost 1200g is a bit suspicious and needs to be corrected but still it's AUW of a custom made plane not stock one. If manual says that AUW stock made plane is around 700g then that's what you'll get if you follow instructions and use recommended equipment so I see no reason to argue here. I already tried to explain it to "eckace1" but it seems that some people didn't notice that explanation too.
Verid is offline Find More Posts by Verid
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Call it whatever you want.
I did. I called it an inconsistency, rightly. It becomes an error when he weighs it on an accurate scale and reports back...
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:47 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verid View Post
Obviously someone didn't have time to check out and understand my buildlog otherwise it would become instantly obvious for that person that MY EasyStar was NOT made "by the book" so it's weight could and WILL deviate from what's stated in the manual. I admit that almost 1200g is a bit suspicious and needs to be corrected but still it's AUW of a custom made plane not stock one. If manual says that AUW stock made plane is around 700g then that's what you'll get if you follow instructions and use recommended equipment so I see no reason to argue here. I already tried to explain it to "eckace1" but it seems that some people didn't notice that explanation too.
I did.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:52 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I did.
I did also but manufactures tend to fudge like my f150 17mpg I get 12.
I like real world figures from people who own them. Besides we went on the asumption his scales were accurate.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I did also but manufactures tend to fudge like my f150 17mpg I get 12.
I like real world figures from people who own them. Besides we went on the asumption his scales were accurate.
That made me laugh out loud. I know EXACTLY what you mean! Once we drive them out of the showroom, the real numbers show up.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:26 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,706 Posts
Is the EZ2 significantly quieter with its recommended power setup than the "common" EZ1 6"x4" 2200kv configuration? I realise the question is somewhat subjective, but what I'd like to understand is whether the EZ2 can be flown in places where noise might be a concern for EZ1 owners.

Thanks for all input.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:11 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Obviously someone didn't have time to check out and understand my buildlog otherwise it would become instantly obvious for that person that MY EasyStar was NOT made "by the book" so it's weight could and WILL deviate from what's stated in the manual. I admit that almost 1200g is a bit suspicious and needs to be corrected but still it's AUW of a custom made plane not stock one. ...
Of course I had a look at the components you used. Your motor is approx. 40g heavier than stock, your battery is approx. 100g heavier, and your ESC and servos may add additional 60g. The only real unknown is your wooden fuselage spar (most people would have used a light CRP tube here).

Whatever you do: Try to keep your model as light as possible. It is always easier to add some ballast than to add lightness.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Is the EZ2 significantly quieter with its recommended power setup than the "common" EZ1 6"x4" 2200kv configuration? ...
Yep, running a bigger prop with higher pitch at much lower rpm makes the drive system much quieter and the sound frequency is a lot less "annoying".

Jürgen
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:14 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Yep, running a bigger prop with higher pitch at much lower rpm makes the drive system much quieter and the sound frequency is a lot less "annoying".

Jürgen
Excellent. Thanks for that Jurgen.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Whatever you do: Try to keep your model as light as possible. It is always easier to add some ballast than to add lightness.

Jürgen
I might tie some helium balloons to mine
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
I might tie some helium balloons to mine
Don't - too much drag.

Jürgen
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
The only real unknown is your wooden fuselage spar (most people would have used a light CRP tube here).
Didn't have one so I put wood. You forgot about longer wing spar

Quote:

Jürgen
I did to my EZ*II exactly same mods as to my previous EZ*I as they helped me a lot and I took into account that extra weight. Only difference is that I put wooden spar into tail section - in EZ*I I had carbon tube and it had some nasty effects on my RC comparing to my friend's EZ without carbon there.
Verid is offline Find More Posts by Verid
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
You forgot about longer wing spar
No I didn't, but as a carbon spar is usually lighter than the stock glass fibre spar, any difference in weight should be negligible.

Jürgen
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
I did to my EZ*II exactly same mods as to my previous EZ*I as they helped me a lot and I took into account that extra weight. Only difference is that I put wooden spar into tail section - in EZ*I I had carbon tube and it had some nasty effects on my RC comparing to my friend's EZ without carbon there.
In what way would a slightly longer wing spar "help you a lot"?

A carbon tube in the fuse (or the wing) should not have any nasty affects on your RC, unless you route the antenna inside the tube. Most likely your friend used different components (RC system, ESC, motor etc.)

Jürgen