HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:54 AM
Registered User
mike_o's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I am about to build an EZII...(edit)...but I want to build with some screaming performance....
Are you absolutely sure you wan't to use one of the most docile airframes around for that?
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:25 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Are you absolutely sure you wan't to use one of the most docile airframes around for that?
Hell, yea!

Here is a fun day with four of the ones I built. We were even having some combat fun.

Four Custom Mutiplex Easy Stars with Streamers (5 min 22 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:07 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Wingwrecker's Avatar
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Anyone know of a brand of paint that will not damage or warp the elapor foam of this plane? I painted a Funjet once and it warped the wing to the point of being unflyable.

Thanks.
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:37 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Standard Dupli-color.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:39 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Mar 2007
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I am about to build an EZII. I built about 15 EZ I models. I know a lot are looking for FPV but I want to build with some screaming performance. I normally used 3000Kv motors on my V1 planes and enlarged the rudders. These things were screaming fun but could also fly slow and steady.

I wonder if anyone has anyone has any experience in this area an has any motor recommendations. I know the MPLX says a 200W motor but that is about it. Any input would be great. I may need to ditch the folding prop and that is OK too.

Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne:
I am using an Emax BL2220/07 ,9x4.5 prop with the an adjustable aluminum mount to allow a larger prop.This combination gives me a lot of power without adding significant weight vs stock recommendation.
mnahmia is offline Find More Posts by mnahmia
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:55 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker View Post
Anyone know of a brand of paint that will not damage or warp the elapor foam of this plane? I painted a Funjet once and it warped the wing to the point of being unflyable.

Thanks.
Krylon Fusion or almost any water based paint will work fine. The trick is to get the foam as clean as possible removing any mold release agent they may have used to make the plane. Denatured alcohol works well as a cleaner. Clean several times before painting and use light coats.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:59 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker View Post
Anyone know of a brand of paint that will not damage or warp the elapor foam of this plane? I painted a Funjet once and it warped the wing to the point of being unflyable.

Thanks.
I've had good luck with both the paints pictured below on my EasyStar II. The key point is hold the can 12 or 14 inches from the foam and apply very light coats. It's the solvent that damages the foam, hold the can far enough away for the solvents to evaporate en route. Ive been a lot less careful with touch-ups - heavy coats applied close with no damage. I read somewhere that once you've got a good layer of paint to protect the foam, you can pretty much do what you like. The Rustoleum gives a nice high-gloss finish if you're after that.

Here's the best advice I've found on painting foam planes:
Spray paints and foam what can you use. (10 min 25 sec)


Here's some other discussions with some paint suggestions:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...paint+easystar
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:21 AM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Wingwrecker's Avatar
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the replies. THe EZII decals are awful!

On a totally off topic note, I just found my favorite youtube channel. These guys are great.

http://www.youtube.com/user/flitetest?feature=watch
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:52 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker View Post
I just found my favorite youtube channel. These guys are great.http://www.youtube.com/user/flitetest?feature=watch
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the US use of the word 'great'. Personally I find them both nauseating in the extreme.....
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:43 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmia View Post
Wayne:
I am using an Emax BL2220/07 ,9x4.5 prop with the an adjustable aluminum mount to allow a larger prop.This combination gives me a lot of power without adding significant weight vs stock recommendation.
Thanks for the response. That sounds like a good combination for power but I am looking for more speed than I think that would provide.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:11 AM
SARG5
SARG5's Avatar
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
I've had good luck with both the paints pictured below on my EasyStar II. The key point is hold the can 12 or 14 inches from the foam and apply very light coats. It's the solvent that damages the foam, hold the can far enough away for the solvents to evaporate en route. Ive been a lot less careful with touch-ups - heavy coats applied close with no damage. I read somewhere that once you've got a good layer of paint to protect the foam, you can pretty much do what you like. The Rustoleum gives a nice high-gloss finish if you're after that.

Here's the best advice I've found on painting foam planes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNXRyEW3QxU

Here's some other discussions with some paint suggestions:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...paint+easystar
Interesting: Thank you for the info.
Now, followup question. Yes, I have 2 EasyStar, painted.
How about painting the BLUE AND PINK foam stuff.
That is what I have been building with of late
SARG5
SARG5 is online now Find More Posts by SARG5
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:10 PM
Registered User
United States, WV, Calhoun
Joined Nov 2004
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I am about to build an EZII. I built about 15 EZ I models. I know a lot are looking for FPV but I want to build with some screaming performance. I normally used 3000Kv motors on my V1 planes and enlarged the rudders. These things were screaming fun but could also fly slow and steady.

I wonder if anyone has anyone has any experience in this area an has any motor recommendations. I know the MPLX says a 200W motor but that is about it. Any input would be great. I may need to ditch the folding prop and that is OK too.

Thanks,
Wayne
A Mega 16/15/3, a 6 x 3 prop and a 3 cell 2100 makes my EZ 1 scream. I am going to use the same set up on my EZ 2. I am assuming that this inrunner motor will bolt right in. A 45 amp esc works fine with this setup.

Todd
skyhawk1 is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:24 PM
Registered User
mgreinke's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Hi everyone. A newbie here who lives in the USA and is tired of waiting for a RR version to show up here is about it buy the kit. I already own a Spektrum DX7S but with the kit I need to buy a bunch of other stuff.

Required for Completion: 4 Channel Transmitter and Receiver, 2 or 4 Micro Servos, Motor, Electronic Speed Controller and Battery.

Any recommendations on which models of all the above I should buy and from who? Im fine without installing the airlerons to start with. If I buy a motor will it come with the right prop and mounting gear? Is there anything else I would need that they didnt mention aside from some way to charge the battery.

Ive flown and rebuilt Ultra Micros but those parts are way different.

Oh, and what kind of CA should I get and does it need seperate activator?

Thanks in adavnce for any advice for a newbie...
mgreinke is offline Find More Posts by mgreinke
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:48 AM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Wingwrecker's Avatar
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
nm..
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Last edited by Wingwrecker; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:25 AM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Wingwrecker's Avatar
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Using the prop adapter that came with my motor, there is a gap of 3/8" between the back of the stock prop housing (spinner) and the front of the motor housing. Might this cause any negative flight characteristics under power?
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Multiplex Easy Star james mack Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 2 Oct 17, 2011 07:33 AM
Discussion Multiplex EASY STAR rickhensley Electric Sailplanes 92 Oct 13, 2011 02:43 PM
Sold Receiver Ready Brushless Multiplex Easy Star with Lipo, Pen Cam, & More! eagleswings Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 Jul 12, 2011 03:28 PM
For Sale Easy Star Multiplex Brushless Motor Power Pack techcapsule Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jul 11, 2011 03:11 PM