HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:19 AM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
Sorry guys, I re-read my post and realized it didn't say what I meant... What I meant to say was that inrunners are naturally more efficient, but usually this efficiency isn't realized because you have to use a reduction drive due to their high kV. In this application with a limited prop diameter an inrunner can be used without a reduction drive thereby giving me the most efficient setup.

However, will try that HK outrunner as it is only $15.00.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Actually, it is the other way around. Outrunners have a lot more torque than an inrunner of similar weight and usually don't need gearboxes. As far as efficiency is concerned ... you will find good and bad inrunners and outrunners. Efficiency is a matter of construction, materials used etc.

Jürgen
e chaser is offline Find More Posts by e chaser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:38 AM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
Mike,

Is this the motor you are running? It states 125W, is that enough? I will be running 3S.

[QUOTE=mike_o;23747950]Any 2826 or 2830mm outrunner in the 1000-1200KV range will give you just that.

This one is available from a US warehouse: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
e chaser is offline Find More Posts by e chaser
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:55 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e chaser View Post
Mike,

Is this the motor you are running? It states 125W, is that enough? I will be running 3S.
No, I run a $6 ebay 2826mm KV1000 in my ES2, but it works quite well.

I'm very cautious about the power (W) specs given for the brushless motors - the sellers seem generate a random number and print that. I look more to the KV-number and physical size, then I usually get what I need.

This motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00kv_250w.html is rated to twice the power despite sharing the other specs, and I seriously doubt that it will produce twice the thrust of the first one.

If you're going with HK, then check the customer reviews - often people have posted accurate and tested figures (amps/watts/thrust/prop-speed) for the motors.

I am using different SK3 motors (and a NMT) in other planes, and I find them of good quality for the money. The reason I suggested the SK3 rather than the NTM is the difference in wires; You'll struggle to make the NTM wires fit in the ES2 pod.
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Last edited by mike_o; Jan 12, 2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:58 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Any 2826 or 2830mm outrunner in the 1000-1200KV range will give you just that.

This one is available from a US warehouse: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
I am flying this configuration with 1300mahr 3S for 15 minutes half throttle and it works very nicely...

Turnigy 2826 1240KV
Plush 40A ESC
Corona FASST R8FA
Futaba S3114
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:05 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
You are linking to a $99, 38mm diameter motor with a 5mm shaft. It won't fit in the pod and the stock prop won't fit either.

1st prize for terrible advice! Or did something go wrong with the link?
LOL. Indeed. Sorry try this one...
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...roducts_id=627
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:57 AM
Joined May 2012
89 Posts
Hi All,
I ordered my first plane Easystar 2 (Receiver Ready) kit today.
Hopefully it will arrive by next week.
As a newbie, I wanted to know the flight time using the stock settings and parts with a 3S 2200 mAh lipo?
Also, I like the three chanels (Rudder, Elevator, Throttle) but it comes with the aileron option as well.Is it better to use aileron instead of rudder to begin with ?
Many thanks,
AeroR
AeroR is offline Find More Posts by AeroR
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined Mar 2012
88 Posts
This was my first plane but unfortunately I don't have it anymore. Now I've got a Fun Cub.
But I'm actually considering buying it again, the RR version this time. I want to use it with my GoPro camera.
Do you think the Easystar 2 is better for aerial photography?
kjur is offline Find More Posts by kjur
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:08 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroR View Post
Hi All,
I ordered my first plane Easystar 2 (Receiver Ready) kit today.
Hopefully it will arrive by next week.
As a newbie, I wanted to know the flight time using the stock settings and parts with a 3S 2200 mAh lipo?
Also, I like the three chanels (Rudder, Elevator, Throttle) but it comes with the aileron option as well.Is it better to use aileron instead of rudder to begin with ?
Many thanks,
AeroR
As a beginners model you should go ruder/elevator to learn with. The option to activate and use the ailerons should be attempted after basic flying experience is achieved and you want a little more from the model..
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:59 PM
Joined May 2012
89 Posts
As a beginners model you should go ruder/elevator to learn with. The option to activate and use the ailerons should be attempted after basic flying experience is achieved and you want a little more from the model..

Thanks Gene.
Yes, I will stay with R/E/T for the time being as Im a newbie to fixed wing.
AeroR
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:38 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroR View Post
.... I will stay with R/E/T for the time being as Im a newbie to fixed wing.
AeroR: There are many who say that its just as easy to learn with ailerons as without, as they give a far more positive response in the roll axis - with R/E/T it is the rudder that causes yaw, and then the dihedral tips instigate the roll as a secondary effect.

Personally, I concur with my learned friend by the swimming pool - and not just because he has the beer and the vicious attack sausage dogs. My EZ1 was/is R/E//T; I built my EZ2 with the servos, horns and linkages fitted for the ailerons - I just havent got around to cutting them free yet - and it's been nearly a year. Control is good enough for the occasional lower than head height flight.

EZII low flying practice (3 min 54 sec)

Whatever you do, make sure you spend a few hours on a sim before attempting to fly... it'll save frustration and money!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jan 12, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:12 AM
Joined May 2012
89 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you spend a few hours on a sim before attempting to fly... it'll save frustration and money!!

Hi Colonel Blink,
Thanks for the advice.
I do have a Sim (AeroSim) that I use to practice but I really like to have hands on experience as the Sim does not reflect real flight conditions at all.
I thought that wind powered glider would be easier for beginners and ordered an Alula (Hand Launch Glider) from Dreamflight.It is still sitting in the box.(New)
It will be flying after I get some experience with the powered Easystar 2.
I also have a 36" Pelican EPP plane from Crash Test Hobby new in the box.This comes with all the parts that one needs to put together.This is my next build project after I have figured out the build with Easystar2.
I understand ES2 RR is the easiest for a newbie to start with and hence I ordered one this week.
Hopefully, as a newbie I can put it together easily and up in the air soon.

Very nice flying there Colonel.Thanks for posting this video.
AeroR
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:29 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
AeroR: There are many who say that its just as easy to learn with ailerons as without, as they give a far more positive response in the roll axis - with R/E/T it is the rudder that causes yaw, and then the dihedral tips instigate the roll as a secondary effect. ...
Agreed, but usually a well trimmed beginners model can be flown with rudder only. An ailerons controlled model requires coordinated ailerons-elevator inputs to make a turn - which often exceeds the capabilities of a beginner.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Agreed, but usually a well trimmed beginners model can be flown with rudder only. An ailerons controlled model requires coordinated ailerons-elevator inputs to make a turn - which often exceeds the capabilities of a beginner. Jürgen
I absolutely and wholeheartedly 100% agree with you, Jürgen!

Which is another reason I haven't yet cut the ailerons free on my EZII...!!!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:26 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I absolutely and wholeheartedly 100% agree with you, Jürgen!

Which is another reason I haven't yet cut the ailerons free on my EZII...!!!
Wow. Is that the first time you and Jürgen actually agreed on something?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:17 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,551 Posts
Nope. It happened once in 2008.