Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:17 PM
Athens, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,664 Posts
[QUOTE=eckace1;23694376]They must be great bats as I have one of the ls motors and with a small wing with a 6x4 prop only got to 50mph.
Mine is a park jet.[/QU They are indeed stout!
ekotil is offline Find More Posts by ekotil
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:11 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
The other major exception is France, where the entire 41MHz band is allocated for RC with the 10 lower channels reserved for planes alone, but the 40MHz band reserved for other purposes.
Attention! With the introduction of 2.4GHz technology, there have been quite a few changes - check the FFAM table for authorized frequencies for model flying.

http://www.web.ffam.asso.fr/ct_frequences.htm#Tableau des fréquences autorisées

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:28 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2006
366 Posts
I received a RR version of the EZ*II for Xmas and was happy not to have to build for a change. I wanted to keep it authentic so even bought the official Aileron upgrade pack.

One issue though, the range is terrible (50m) with my Assan 2G4 Module powered Futaba which I use in all non FPV planes. Is it possible that the installed 20A ESC is stuggling with 4 servos perhaps?
gt35r is offline Find More Posts by gt35r
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:20 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt35r View Post
One issue though, the range is terrible (50m) with my Assan 2G4 Module powered Futaba which I use in all non FPV planes. Is it possible that the installed 20A ESC is stuggling with 4 servos perhaps?
How is the range when the aileron servos are disconnected?

The "stock" 20A ESC (# 72231) appears to be one with linear BEC, which could prove marginal for 4 servos on 3s. The MultiCont BL-20 SD S-BEC (# 72288) has a switching BEC for up to 6 servos.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
What do you guys think of this brushless setup?

First some background, been flying RC since 86', first FPV bird was and Easy Star with a Himax 2815-2000. Performance was awesome!! Vertical climb, still could fly an easy 30+ minutes on a 4,000 mah 3S.

Just bought an Easy Star II and would like similar performance. I am thinking of using the HB2815-1400 motor. HB2815-1400 with the combo found here : http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/pdf/PRIN...15%20A-E-F.pdf

To me it seems the lower Kv rating would be good as there is more room for the prop. Would this be a good combo?

Thanks!
e chaser is offline Find More Posts by e chaser
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:25 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e chaser View Post
To me it seems the lower Kv rating would be good as there is more room for the prop. Would this be a good combo?
Although this would be a suitable combo (perhaps not with the stock 7x6" folder), I would go for an outrunner (= less weight).

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:45 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
Quote:
First some background, been flying RC since 86', first FPV bird was and Easy Star with a Himax 2815-2000. Performance was awesome!! Vertical climb, still could fly an easy 30+ minutes on a 4,000 mah 3S.

Just bought an Easy Star II and would like similar performance. I am thinking of using the HB2815-1400 motor. HB2815-1400 with the combo found here : http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/pdf/PRIN...15%20A-E-F.pdf

Thanks!
Your first post - Welcome to the forum!

In contrast to the EasyStar l, the EasyStar ll is designed for a brushless outrunner. Why go against that? The outrunners are cheaper, lighter, shorter, run cooler, and come in almost any power and KV you would want. They even suit the stock prop well.

Pick a 1000KV 2826mm outrunner for long flight times, or pick a 1200-1400KV 2830mm outrunner for higher performance.

And use the stock prop for gods sake, it's a really well performing prop for the plane.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
Thanks for the advice. My thought with an inrunner was increased efficiency as there would be no need for a reduction drive, and inrunners are naturally more efficient. Of course if it is easier to install and cheaper to buy an outrunner I will go with that.

I know it's been discussed ad nauseum on the forum, but any advice on a readily available outrunner in the US? Not looking for rocket performance, just something that will put in a solid climb with a small amount of FPV equipment and a 4-5000 mah 3 S lipo

Gotten tired of reading hundreds of posts, will probably go with whatever you guys recommend.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Your first post - Welcome to the forum!

In contrast to the EasyStar l, the EasyStar ll is designed for a brushless outrunner. Why go against that? The outrunners are cheaper, lighter, shorter, run cooler, and come in almost any power and KV you would want. They even suit the stock prop well.

Pick a 1000KV 2826mm outrunner for long flight times, or pick a 1200-1400KV 2830mm outrunner for higher performance.

And use the stock prop for gods sake, it's a really well performing prop for the plane.
e chaser is offline Find More Posts by e chaser
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:52 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,320 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. My thought with an inrunner was increased efficiency as there would be no need for a reduction drive, and inrunners are naturally more efficient. Of course if it is easier to install and cheaper to buy an outrunner I will go with that.

I know it's been discussed ad nauseum on the forum, but any advice on a readily available outrunner in the US? Not looking for rocket performance, just something that will put in a solid climb with a small amount of FPV equipment and a 4-5000 mah 3 S lipo

Gotten tired of reading hundreds of posts, will probably go with whatever you guys recommend.

Thanks again.
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...roducts_id=520
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:24 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,471 Posts
Quote:
My thought with an inrunner was increased efficiency as there would be no need for a reduction drive, and inrunners are naturally more efficient.
I've not heard of anyone using a reduction gearbox with an outrunner...... generally outrunners have a lower kV rating than inrunners. They also produce more torque, so can swing a larger prop than an inrunner. So if either type needed a gearbox, I would say it's more likely to be the inrunner? I'm sure that someone will be along to compare the relative efficiencies before too long.....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jan 08, 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:29 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Actually, it is the other way around. Outrunners have a lot more torque than an inrunner of similar weight and usually don't need gearboxes. As far as efficiency is concerned ... you will find good and bad inrunners and outrunners. Efficiency is a matter of construction, materials used etc.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:32 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I've not heard of anyone using a reduction gearbox with an outrunner...
Well, there are specific applications where even a geared outrunner makes sense - see pictures. That being said, the Multiplex FunCopter uses a direct drive outrunner for the main rotor.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:39 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Well, there are specific applications where even a geared outrunner makes sense - see pictures....
Well, now I have heard of someone using a gearbox with an outrunner
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:55 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
Quote:
I know it's been discussed ad nauseum on the forum, but any advice on a readily available outrunner in the US? Not looking for rocket performance, just something that will put in a solid climb with a small amount of FPV equipment and a 4-5000 mah 3 S lipo..
Any 2826 or 2830mm outrunner in the 1000-1200KV range will give you just that.

This one is available from a US warehouse: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

It is slightly shorter than the recommended motor, and the wires are very flexible, allowing you to fit the ESC in the motor pod in front of the motor, if you want to.

You may find it difficult to balance the plane with a 5000mAh LiPo. I get up to 25 minutes FPV time with an 1800mAh 3S. I suggest you go for 3000-4000mAh.
Last edited by mike_o; Jan 08, 2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
You are linking to a $99, 38mm diameter motor with a 5mm shaft. It won't fit in the pod and the stock prop won't fit either.

1st prize for terrible advice! Or did something go wrong with the link?