Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:49 PM
Foam, foam on the range....
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
What is the flaw in the argument?
Google is your friend here, hundreds have explained this much better than I ever could. This one, by the well respected Don Stackhouse

http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_askjd/d.../downwind.html

which uses a practical example, is interesting.

Cheers
didge is offline Find More Posts by didge
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:00 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
didge, could you elaborate on that? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

My point is that the since the plane has a mass, it will take some time for it to regain airspeed when you make a 180* turn. IE when you are flying into a 20km/h headwind at 20km/h ground speed, you'll have an airspeed of 40km/h. If you then make a (very) quick 180* turn, the plane (because of enertia) will still be travelling at 20km/h ground speed, but the airspeed now equals 0, as the wind speed is subtracted.

I believe I have experienced that when I fly, and I fail to see any flaws in the argument.

EDIT: I have been rethinking the idea, as if I sat in the cockpit, and could not see the ground. Then obviously, the plane would be moving in a still airmass, and a turn would not affect the airspeed, unless of course you made the plane rapidly rotate around itself and fly backwards. I'm uncertain if I would be able to actually perform a turn like that.... :-)

What is the flaw in the argument?

I believe that you have pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:17 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
What is the flaw in the argument?[/I]

I believe that you have pretty much hit the nail on the head.
I think the operative word in my mis-assumption was "a VERY quick turn". We just don't turn our planes so fast that the we loose all airspeed. Thanks for helping getting it rigth.

What may be the case - as didge suggested - is that one may be inclined to back off the throttle when we see our plane starting to race along in the downwind just after seeing almost standing still in the upwind....

Now back to topic :-)
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:35 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,169 Posts
I.aluffi - It's nice to see a pristine EasyStar II! Mine is so banged up, I can hardly remember when it was so clean and shiny.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:45 AM
Italy, Piedmont, Asti
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Hi and thanks for the welcome.

Mushrooms where eaten a few minutes after the photo. Some of them formed a good risotto, the other ones an appetizer.

My easystar is far from being pristine: it crashed hard on the nose because a faulty servo when it was almost new, but i straightened the fuse with a lot of warm water. And changed the servo...
l.aluffi is online now Find More Posts by l.aluffi
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:44 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
You folks in your WIND PROBLEMS. You should live in KANSAS. Wind?? When is it to strong to go fly.????????????
Our Wind sock is a 30 foot pole. From the top we hang a 29'10" , 3/8 in log chain, When the LAST Link is ------ STANDING STRIGHT OUT. We then say it is STARTING TO GET A LITTLE WINDY. Better not fly.
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:44 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,169 Posts
My ESII is about 40% Gorilla Glue, 40% Elapor and 20% steam. No longer has reinforcing tubes in the nose because they all blew out the cockpit on impact. Packing tape to hold the wingtip curves and strapping tape to reinforce the tail boom. Plus a little hot glue here and there. And some toothpicks.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:14 PM
Italy, Piedmont, Asti
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
My ESII is about 40% Gorilla Glue, 40% Elapor and 20% steam. No longer has reinforcing tubes in the nose because they all blew out the cockpit on impact. Packing tape to hold the wingtip curves and strapping tape to reinforce the tail boom. Plus a little hot glue here and there. And some toothpicks.
You brought me bad luck. I was playing to fly low over my usual field when a little bump over the grass teared away my tailplane and ripped it in two parts... Again...

Tonight i've strengthened it with a little carbon rod. Tomorrow I will fix the elevator with some uhu-por.

Name: 2012-10-08-321.jpg
Views: 156
Size: 139.4 KB
Description:
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:27 PM
Italy, Piedmont, Asti
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
You folks in your WIND PROBLEMS. You should live in KANSAS. Wind?? When is it to strong to go fly.????????????
Our Wind sock is a 30 foot pole. From the top we hang a 29'10" , 3/8 in log chain, When the LAST Link is ------ STANDING STRIGHT OUT. We then say it is STARTING TO GET A LITTLE WINDY. Better not fly.
SARG5
In this case you may be pleased to know that, when the climate change started to be more agressive, my area begun to be a lot windy. Usually in the afternoon the wind starts to be really bothersome. This summer a lot of old and big trees where ripped away from the soil by the wind a couple of times. And in Asti it's really strange.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:10 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,169 Posts
L.aluffi - sorry to see your broken tail! I've broken mine in half three times now. It catches on things taking off from the grass. Gorilla Glue, toothpicks and packing tape. I'm curious to see your repair of the elevator hinge. I did an aileron hinge with Gorilla Glue, wasn't completely happy with it, figured I'll try again when it comes apart.

Yours is still prettier. I'll rub my good luck charm for you.

P.S. - If you need any tips on how properly to smash the nose, let me know :-)
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:47 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
...We then say it is STARTING TO GET A LITTLE WINDY....
SARG5
Sarg5,

why are you SHOUTING? Because of the wind??

This is our current weather locally:

METAR
ekch 090720z 28021g32kt 9999 few028 09/04 q0999 tempo 29020g32kt=

That is 21 knots of wind @ heading 280* with gusts of 32 knots. Not flyable either.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:29 PM
Italy, Piedmont, Asti
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Weather got better in the autumn.

Here in Northern Italy is 22 celsius, no wind, sunny. Maybe a little haze in the morning, but it get better in the afternoon. .

Good time to ride a bike or have a good run, after work.

Took a few days ago from the hill in front of our house:
Name: 2012-07-11-170_1.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 144.9 KB
Description:
Last edited by l.aluffi; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:54 PM
Italy, Piedmont, Asti
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.aluffi View Post
Weather got better in the autumn.

Here in Northern Italy is 22 celsius, no wind, sunny. Maybe a little haze in the morning, but it get better in the afternoon. .

Good time to ride a bike or have a good run, after work.

Took a few days ago from the hill in front of our house:
Attachment 5218562
I've seen just now that this photo it's not so recent, but it dates to a couple of months ago. Blame to my smartphone which is not so smart...

This video is from the end of september:
Easystar II - San Martino - Saracchi - Autunno (3 min 42 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:20 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,169 Posts
My assistant checks the runway for birds. Too windy to fly here too. -2 degrees C, wind 25-30 km/hr.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:53 AM
Kingdom of The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
154 Posts
My first Easy Star II video, enjoy!

MPX Easy Star II FPV | First Video (2 min 30 sec)
HBFP NL is offline Find More Posts by HBFP NL