HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:24 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
USA Suppliers of EasyStar Mk II?

Jürgen & Friends,

Where can one buy the EasyStar Mk II in the USA? ... I can hardly wait to buy one!

If you know of any US suppliers with the Mk II available, please post that info.

Many folks in the big EasyStar thread are also interested in buying the Mk II http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20284518

Thanks!
Kevin

PS - Verid: Thanks for your awesome post! Your post makes me want to buy the Mk II even more!
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:46 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verid View Post
Announced for some time "refreshed" version of well known Multiplex model finally became available in Poland and since I like my Mk.I very much and my brother made me choose my Christmas gift so Easy Star Mk.II will be successor to my worn out "Izzi".

According to info provided by producer main improvements over earlier version are:

-ailerons
-motor mount for brushless setup plus folding prop
-removable horizontal stabilizer
Thanks for posting this info. I do like the changes and may have to postpone buying a Fun Cub in favour of the EZII. Some of the minor disadvantages look easy to overcome.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:09 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhines View Post
Jürgen & Friends,

Where can one buy the EasyStar Mk II in the USA? ...
Most likely at the same places, where the old version was sold - once the new kits will be available.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
As I promised - it's time to show how to make it fly.

As expected from respectable company ES Mk.II described as beginner's plane has manual for beginners. Everything is clear and pictures leave no room for doubts.

Closer inspection of parts revealed first problem. Fuselage halves aren't quite straight.

It's not much of a problem but you must remember about it when installing reinforcements and lay fuselage halves flat to nullify this "curvature".
All reinforcements are made from snake outer sleeves cut to pieces as shown in the manual.

First glue horizontal stabilizer locking mechanism in place. Avoid glueing two plastic pieces together at all costs.

Next reinforce fuselage with snake outer sleeves. Tail reinforcement serves also as 35MHz aerial protective channel and prevents stabilizer locking clip prom falling off. Remember to lay fuse half flat to straighten it.

As you can see reinforcements straightened fuse half on the right.

This ES is going to be used for some hardcore low flying so I put additional wooden spar in tail section.

Latch catches....

....and Y-cable mount.

Unfortunately theres another problem. Y-cable mounts are a little too tight.

Some work with sand paper and everything fits perfectly.

Servo holes in fuse (mounting frames) and wings are prepared for micro class servos such as Emax ES08A. Strengthened black TowerPro SG91R are tiny bit too large.

For rudder and elevator I had only HS-81 so I had to enlarge servo holes and make mounts with some nylon screws and nuts. Also I glued in pushrods for rudder and elevator.

Now glue fuse halves together again laying it flat to make sure it'll glue straight.

Next stop - control surfaces. Assemble control horns....

...and glue them in special recesses in rudder, elevator and ailerons.

Glue locking mechanism frame in horizontal stab and see if everything fits well.

Motor mount. Manual says that I should start with gluing motor tower reinforcement. It's not really reinforcement only a cable holder - very useful if you use outrunner motor. I'm going to use Inrunner so I skipped that part. Glue motor mount and front screw plastic thread.

Wings. Wing spar is exactly the same as in Mk.I - too short for FPV so I bored spar channels and installed longer carbon spar.

Last plastic element is canopy's latch tongues.

Micro servos in wings fit perfectly. My black TowerPro SG91R required servo hole to be a little enlarged. I secured them with double sided tape.

Unfortunately servo cables are too short so I had to use extension cables. Cables can be secured with small piece of outer snake sleeve.

Motor fits with no problems. Only my ESC is too large...

....so I moved it outside for better cooling.

Last part - folding prop.

.......and ready for trimming and maiden.

Maiden went quite well - only my camera malfunctioned and it got dark before I was able to repair it so video is very poor. The other plane is my friend's Twinstar II

Easy Star II maiden flight (2 min 5 sec)

After maiden thoughts - as expected model files exactly like ES Mk.I with aileron mod and unlike my old plane it flies straight I must trim ailerons because it tries to turn left all the time and install my old prop back. This folding one looks nice but with my motor it gives insufficient power.
And another thing - ability to pack the plane back into his box and transporting without worrying about accidental damage is great thing.
Verid is offline Find More Posts by Verid
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:07 PM
DFW Texas
Joined Jan 2004
74 Posts
Well done, I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these!
Dcubed is offline Find More Posts by Dcubed
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Apr 2011
39 Posts
Verid What is your weight Easy star II?
unixoid26 is offline Find More Posts by unixoid26
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
1160g without FPV equipment.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Apr 2011
39 Posts
I want about 700-750g with camera and video TX. What motor should I buy for this configuration?
unixoid26 is offline Find More Posts by unixoid26
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
According to the manual AUW for this plane is 700-720g so if you want fit into 750g you must find very light FPV equipment and avoid any extra protections, spars etc.

Recommended by Multiplex power set contains PERMAX BL-O 2830-1100 brushless motor and MULTIcont BL-20 SD-L speed controller (item no 33 2622) so I presume that this AUW includes mentioned motor and ESC.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
I accidentally my Picsio....
Don't worry - I'm not going to ask you if it's bad. I already know it's very bad. I had to take famous 600TVL from securitycamera2000 and combine it with Foxtech D1 recorder. I wanted to chase my friend Kefir but white Twinstar is ipossibel to locate on the snow and it was too windy for low passes so I took a tour around my village. Here...

First snow in Mikoszewo (3 min 0 sec)

After some trimming and returning to my previous prop ESII behaves much better.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
LAN
Sweden, Östergötland, Valdemarsvik
Joined Oct 2003
457 Posts
Verid, what motor are you using (specs please), and what prop will you use instead of the provided one? I am also building this plane, and will use it for FPV, so I am looking for a good power setup.

/Leif
LAN is offline Find More Posts by LAN
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
Motor used:

RAY B2835/16

motor diameter: 28,2 mm
motor length: 37 mm
shaft: 3,17 mm
weight: 89 g
Power max: 220W
2200 KV
Recommended batt: 2-3S LiPo, 6-10S NiMH
Max load: 25A/60s
Recommended ESC: 25A

Prop used:

Aeronaut Black 6,5 x 4

ESC used:

Emax 30 or 35A (I removed label and I don't remember exactly...)

I have it more than 2 years and its just good. Enough power to fly with JVC Picsio nad 500mW Lawmate VTX and do some stunts. Check out my vids on Vimeo. All Easy Star videos were made with this power setup.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:35 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Quote:
1160g without FPV equipment.
WOW 41 oz thats a heavy bugger I will stay away from this plane as its 2x the weight of the old easy1.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
Nah, its not heavy if you do it by the book. I made it heavy because I added extra reinforcements and used heavy power setup. Inrunners aren't best choice if weight matters. Normally ~200W outrunner is approx. 20g lighter than inrunner same power. Also I use much larger than recommended ESC - another few grams. Heavier, metal gear servos, extra spar, larger battery (3000 instead of 2000mAh) - if you sum all that up you'll see why my ES is so fat
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:25 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Nah, its not heavy if you do it by the book. I made it heavy because I added extra reinforcements and used heavy power setup. Inrunners aren't best choice if weight matters. Normally ~200W outrunner is approx. 20g lighter than inrunner same power. Also I use much larger than recommended ESC - another few grams. Heavier, metal gear servos, extra spar, larger battery (3000 instead of 2000mAh) - if you sum all that up you'll see why my ES is so fat
I use a 330 watt inrunner larger esc and metal servos plus 7oz of cameras but only use a 3s1p2200 bat for 2 to 3 10 min flying sessions but still under 30oz.
So if by the book the new version weighs over 50oz with my gear No thank you.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1