HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:32 PM
mutski
United States, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,192 Posts
ANK3RS - Nice looking plane! What did you use to paint the wings?
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Staffordshire
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
ANK3RS - Nice looking plane! What did you use to paint the wings?
Thanks mutski i don't use paint i use a product called solartrim it's a self adhesive vinyl very thin and light weight gives it a nice gloss finish.

http://www.rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/Solar-Trim.html
ANK3RS is offline Find More Posts by ANK3RS
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:19 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANK3RS View Post
Thanks mutski i don't use paint i use a product called solartrim it's a self adhesive vinyl very thin and light weight gives it a nice gloss finish.

http://www.rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/Solar-Trim.html
...presumably with the added bonus of not flaking off like every paint in the civilised world! (Has anyone experience of using the Elapor primer?)

How well does the Solarfilm stay stuck on, Ank3rs??
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Never had it peel off blink sticks really well to foam and it looks far better than paint.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:19 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,598 Posts
Quote:
...After the crash I didn't think my Easy Star II would recover. But here she is, glued and taped and flying nicely!...
Good to hear!
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:56 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
332 Posts
Quote:
I tried hand-launching with too little throttle, which led easily to take-offs from the grass. I find that less stressful, more time to see what its doing, react and get off to a good start. This time the wind came up during my fourth battery, made it a bit challenging to get back to earth.
When I feel it is too windy (what? it's never too windy ), I put a 5mm by 50cm steel rod in the wing spar, that's 50-60 grams (2 oz) of ballast and my Easystar 1 will handle wind much better.
I believe the Easystar 2 has a 1 meter long wing spar? In that case you could double that length and weight, just make sure the steel rod can't move too much from left to right.
I've flown mine with the stock Speed 400 at 8,4 volt in gusting winds up to 40 km/h (25 mph). Total weight was over one kg (36 oz) with the huge NiMH battery. Flight characteristics were still very forgiving, only the landings were speedier and loopings were huuuuge, especially the pulling out part. Managed to bend the steel rod one day

As for flying, you obviously have the perfect field for belly take-offs, so go for it if you feel comfortable with that.
One remark: in the videos I see that you are overcontrolling the elevator. You see that clearly in the onboard cam (wild up and down pitching in turns), and if you study the ground cam again you will see that too. Try some more expo on the elevator, or even better, do the expo between your brain and thumbs.
It's only details in the learning curve from now on

Next vid: flying through the goal posts.
At full throttle.
Inverted.
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Feb 2007
332 Posts
Solarfilm vs Solartrim

SolarFILM is the classic shrinking film for covering balsa wings with heath iron and heath gun, there is also SolarTEX for a more textile look.
SolarTRIM is a self adhesive plastic trim from which you cut your own graphics and consequently apply.

SolarTRIM is what I used for the yellow stripes on my Easystar shown a few posts back.
Nice stuff, I just cut bands of 2-3cms wide, slapped them on the wing, and trimmed afterwards.
It doesn't stick REALLY hard on EPO but good enough if you don't break the sound barrier ; I always thought of using a heath iron on it but never got around to it, six years later my Easystar looks like a monster while the yellow trim is just as new.
Should have covered the whole damn plane in it

My MPX Minimag however I have painted in nice colours and I have never done anything else than retouching paint after every day of flying...
Never used primer btw but I guess the results would be the same after a day of low flying wing scraping
Coloured tape FTW I say!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Feb 2007
332 Posts
Solarfilm vs Solartrim

doublepost
Last edited by Commander Clumsy; Sep 12, 2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: damn you internet
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
after iv applied the solartrim i use a hair dryer apply a gentle heat and rub the solartrim with a soft cloth....
im not brave enuff use an iron on a foamie
Last edited by ANK3RS; Sep 13, 2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:22 AM
Kingdom of The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
154 Posts
Last night we glassed the belly and nose of the Easy Star. It is a very good or maybe better alternative to packing tape.

How to glass your Foamy Video tutorial | MPX Easy Star II (7 min 14 sec)

HBFP NL is offline Find More Posts by HBFP NL
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:05 PM
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined May 2011
26 Posts
oops
mykwilwin is offline Find More Posts by mykwilwin
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined May 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Are hitec 55's the same as multiplex nano servos?
the multiplex nano's have karbonite gears
mykwilwin is offline Find More Posts by mykwilwin
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykwilwin View Post
the multiplex nano's have karbonite gears
No, the MPX Nano are technically the same as the Hitec HS-55, but with longer servo leads.

Only the MPX Nano Pro (technically the same as the Hitec HS-65) have karbonite gears.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Still not took my EZII out for its maiden flight weather as been awful...
Any tips on hand launch ? I'm assuming it will be the same as my axn - apply half to three quarter throttle firm throw into the wind pointing slightly upwards and apply elevator if required !
Not sure why I'm always so nervous before i fly a new plane
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:46 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANK3RS View Post
Any tips on hand launch ? I'm assuming it will be the same as my axn - apply half to three quarter throttle firm throw into the wind pointing slightly upwards and apply elevator if required !
Not sure why I'm always so nervous before i fly a new plane
That pretty much covers it!

And I would suggest that the time that you aren't nervous before a maiden flight is the time that it will all go pear shaped.....!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink