Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:06 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
The nose is so cracked and battered I'm not sure I can make it solid again. I'll keep messing with it
Packing tape is your friend and saviour.......!!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:22 AM
United Kingdom, England, Staffordshire
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Awesome at least we know the nose can take one hell of a bashing
ANK3RS is offline Find More Posts by ANK3RS
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:16 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
Cmdr Clumsy - the problem really wasn't aileron turns. It was launching upwind, which happened to be too close to the sun. When it rolled, I really couldn't tell which way. Full speed into the ground... It's the same lesson I learned with helis - never lose concentration on orientation! There was actually a fair breeze, 5 or 7 mph. It flew just fine until I corrected the wrong direction and killed it.
You're right, I see no big mistakes in your flying - except for that temporary loss of orientation of course
Maybe you could add a little more Expo / Dual Rate, especially for the landings.
Otherwise, nice flying.

Here some colour mods I use, makes a huge difference when flying in the sun or at sunset.
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:45 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy View Post
You're right, I see no big mistakes in your flying - except for that temporary loss of orientation of course ...

...FreeAir Easy with wingtips coloured top and bottom. Also dog running along to point out where it is...
I agree - no obvious mistakes, but sometimes less is more. Don't overdo the control inputs. If you leave an EasyStar to itself, it will normally just sort things out nice and quietly. I'd say you could bring a valuable lesson back home from this wrt relaxed control inputs ( And perhaps doing to many things at the same time? Are you perhaps holding the camera yourself? )

Sometimes you have to chose the lesser of two evils - in this case flying into the sun and launching downwind. Ideally, you should fly with the sun in your back and up wind, but often that is just difficult to achieve. You can actually launch with a sidewind component. Perhaps you will consider a different balance here next time.

Also, good Sunglasses will make a difference in a situation like this.

But don't worry, you can never have too many EasyStars. I have three now. One stock version 1, a twin motor, aileroned version 1, and a stock version 2. Maybe you'll want to try flying non-aileron. With the extra kit, you can have two sets of wings, one aileroned and one non-aileroned. Just remember to change your stick set-up, so you get rudder where ailerons used to be.

Happy landings

PS: This is my starter plane, the AXN Floater Jet in contrast colours for those grey winter days. Worked very well.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Last edited by mike_o; Sep 06, 2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: ps
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:49 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy View Post
Here some colour mods I use, makes a huge difference when flying in the sun or at sunset.
And this is mine - DupliColor - you can keep track of orientation even at distances when the shape of the a/c can hardly be discerned.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:38 AM
Joined May 2010
120 Posts
Some pictures with my Easy Star 2
And one movie with camera onboard

Motoplanor Gama 2100 - zbor la panta, Tulcea vedere de la nivelul norilor (7 min 50 sec)
adioperator is offline Find More Posts by adioperator
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:05 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,144 Posts
Crash recovery progress

Easy Star II is looking better. The nose is wrapped in Scotch Tape for a day or two until the superglue hardens. Tail boom fixed with hot glue, feels solid. Straightened fuselage, warped wing and elevator with hot water, reglued elevator control horn.

I just discovered some voids where I superglued the front of the fuse above the wing - injected hot glue to fill them up. Maybe I should have found some activator for the superglue - it seems like deep inside, perhaps the superglue hasn't hardened and is dissolving foam . If it crashes and comes apart again, I'll see what can be done. I kind of sich I'd one the whole thing with hot glue now!

Overall, though, looks like it should be sound enough to fly for a bit and get the bugs out of my technique before I launch the unscathed replacement still in the mail. Can't decide if I should order another motor and ESC for the new one or salvage the parts from this one when I finally do it in. I'm starting to think I should order new ones and finish with two intact planes.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Easy Star II is looking better. The nose is wrapped in Scotch Tape for a day or two until the superglue hardens. Tail boom fixed with hot glue, feels solid. Straightened fuselage, warped wing and elevator with hot water, reglued elevator control horn.

I just discovered some voids where I superglued the front of the fuse above the wing - injected hot glue to fill them up. Maybe I should have found some activator for the superglue - it seems like deep inside, perhaps the superglue hasn't hardened and is dissolving foam . If it crashes and comes apart again, I'll see what can be done. I kind of sich I'd one the whole thing with hot glue now!

Overall, though, looks like it should be sound enough to fly for a bit and get the bugs out of my technique before I launch the unscathed replacement still in the mail. Can't decide if I should order another motor and ESC for the new one or salvage the parts from this one when I finally do it in. I'm starting to think I should order new ones and finish with two intact planes.

Bamboo skewers and round tooth picks are your friends when fixing these. I have a original that looks a lot worse than yours and still flys great. Lots of bamboo in it.
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:51 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,144 Posts
Not me of course, but here's a guy who knows how to fly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_sB3...tNxrjTQz8bTpTg

Thanks for the color scheme ideas. I think I'll go with the dog running alongside!
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:28 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,144 Posts
Awesome video Adioperator! I like seeing you catch up to the other plane. De curiosidad, cual idioma es? No me parece como espaņol, pero cierto es una idioma latina.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:46 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,377 Posts
Quote:
De curiosidad, cual idioma es? No me parece como espaņol, pero cierto es una idioma latina.
Romanian?
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined May 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Awesome video Adioperator! I like seeing you catch up to the other plane. De curiosidad, cual idioma es? No me parece como espaņol, pero cierto es una idioma latina.
Mike_o has guessed right, is Romanian language

Saturday we tried to take off at the ground

EasyStar II - decolare de jos (1 min 14 sec)

Setup:
- 1x Outrunner Brushless Motor SCM-3223 1200kv
- 1x APC 7x5 Propeller
- 1x ESC Hobbyking SS Series 25-30A ESC
- 1x Lipo Pack Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C
adioperator is offline Find More Posts by adioperator
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Nice

Very Sweet might get one.
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:30 AM
United Kingdom, England, Staffordshire
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
My Plane is nearly ready for its maiden flight hope to take it out this week.
ANK3RS is offline Find More Posts by ANK3RS
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:56 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,144 Posts
After the crash I didn't think my Easy Star II would recover. But here she is, glued and taped and flying nicely! I taped a keychain camera to the nose with nice results. I was totally nervous, almost shaky at flying again after the previous crash. No problem, flew like a dream!

I tried hand-launching with too little throttle, which led easily to take-offs from the grass. I find that less stressful, more time to see what its doing, react and get off to a good start. This time the wind came up during my fourth battery, made it a bit challenging to get back to earth. I'm flying 8-9 minutes on a 2200 Mah battery and finishing with 11.0 to 12 volts left.

Easy Star gusty wind (5 min 37 sec)

Easy Star II keychain camera.avi (8 min 37 sec)
Last edited by mutski; Sep 11, 2012 at 06:06 PM.