HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:27 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Have I missed something? Does the Mk2 not use a 6X4?
It actually uses 7x6" blades - see instruction manual.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:22 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
It actually uses 7x6" blades - see instruction manual.

Jürgen
I did Jurgen. So is there another 1/2 inch clearance for the 7 inch prop? Or is there something different with these folding props?
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:50 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,765 Posts
My experience with folders is they rarely are the same length as stamped. This really doesn't have anything to do with the prop, but more of the spinner (yoke to be precise). My 6x4 folder I had on my old EZ* really measured out to more of a 6.5" diameter. I'll be watching this thread and awaiting more reviews as the kit becomes available. I'd like something more nimble than my Skywalker for tighter space FPV flying.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Dec 2006
154 Posts
While at iHobby in Chicago, I was told by a Multiplex rep that the plane will be sold under both Hitec and Multiplex names with the Hitec being a lower priced version.
Raycamaro is offline Find More Posts by Raycamaro
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I did Jurgen. So is there another 1/2 inch clearance for the 7 inch prop? Or is there something different with these folding props?
The motor is located noticeably higher on the EasyStar II. As mentioned before, the folder was probably a necessity to compensate the increased drag of the bigger prop.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:28 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
My 6x4 folder I had on my old EZ* really measured out to more of a 6.5" diameter.
In this case, your spinner diameter was bigger than the one, the folding blades were originally designed for.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
This is now showing as 'In Stock' at a UK model shop (www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk)

I've just emailed 'em to double check!
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:39 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,430 Posts
Let me know the response - £65 is pretty good I reckon (its the kit version, so no electrics). Can't see the motor/ESC set anywhere on the site???

Punctilio Modelspot are implying it's arrival is imminent:
http://www.modelspot.com/multiplex-e...mber-961-p.asp
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:49 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Confirmed!

They have kit and RR versions just arrived - just asked for full spec details of both.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:38 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Kit version page
RR version page

Do I buy it now, or wait for the January sales..? >.<
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:18 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
Do I buy it now, or wait for the January sales..? >.<
And do I buy the RR version for simplicity, or do I save £75 and supply the electrics missen???
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:27 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
And do I buy the RR version for simplicity, or do I save £75 and supply the electrics missen???
I remember costing out the difference between the Twin Star II kit and RR. I think the RR worked out to be about £15 more expensive by the time I'd accounted for the glue and everything.

Be interesting to see what the true saving is with the EZ*2 kit over the RR.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Be interesting to see what the true saving is with the EZ*2 kit over the RR.
Well, if you take the list price of the EasyStar II and add the list prices of the two Nano-S servos and the price for the drive set (motor plus 20A ESC), you end up around the same price as the RR version.

It makes sense to go for the RR version, unless you want to use cheaper components or want to do modifications.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:28 PM
Cambridge, UK
Joined Jan 2008
76 Posts
Ours arrived the other day from Electric Wingman. He's got both the RR and the basic kit.

Hmm, looks like we'll have to rejig the FPV cockpits, the new one is all chamfered for a better fit. Hey ho.

Martyn
Nicodema is offline Find More Posts by Nicodema
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
Announced for some time "refreshed" version of well known Multiplex model finally became available in Poland and since I like my Mk.I very much and my brother made me choose my Christmas gift so Easy Star Mk.II will be successor to my worn out "Izzi".

According to info provided by producer main improvements over earlier version are:

-ailerons
-motor mount for brushless setup plus folding prop
-removable horizontal stabilizer

Only those? Let's see what's in the box:

At first glance the box is almost identical with Mk.I one. Inside (KIT version) we find fuselage, wings, horizontal stab and all necessary small parts packed in plastic bags plus set of decals. All ELAPOR parts are protected by bubble foil .

As usual Multiplex vacuum cast ELAPOR parts are top quality and fit each other perfectly.

Fuselage - here can be found much more improvements than "official" ones. Cylindrical, flimsy piece of foam that served as motor mount in Mk.I was replaced by large socket for plastic pod-like motor housing.

Tail part was redesigned to accommodate horizontal stabilizer locking mechanism.

Unfortunately Multiplex engineers didn't think this through too well. First - to insert stab one must pull bottom part of the fuselage. After several repetitions of install/remove procedure bottom part might become loose creating necessity to add some modifications. Second - Mpx provided only barrel like push-rod connectors which require proper setting of elevator position each time stabilizer is installed. If only they got some snap like connectors...

Internal fuselage space was enlarged up to motor mount.

Other innovations include grooves inside fuselage bottom forming channel for aerial of 35MHz systems (instead of usual slits on the edges of fuselage halves) and similar grooves in nose part of fuse for some reinforcing rods.
Tail section of the fuse has noticeably more foam comparing to Mk.I version.

Elevator and rudder servos are mounted deeper inside hull and are covered by special foam parts which improve model's aerodynamics. Some plastic frames for servo mounting are also provided.

Accessories include special holders for servo extension leads or Y-cable to make aileron servo connecting a little bit easier.

Vertical stabilizer and rudder are noticeably larger than in earlier version.

Whole fuselage is longer.

Canopy and cargo space opening are longer but internal fuse dimension is slightly reduced.

Horizontal stabilizer is almost unchanged except central section which was redesigned for locking mechanism.

Motor tower - Mpx finally stopped making user to stitch ESC deep inside plane's hull and provided spacious motor mount with removable lid which allow easy access to drive components.

Foldable prop is a very nice addition to whole setup.

Wings profile remain almost unchanged. Only exception is servo hole and aileron.

Also wing joining was changed a bit and reinforcing tube bottom cover has different shape. Reinforcing tube is the same as in Mk.I so I'm going to replace it with longer carbon tube I was using in my old EZ.

As you can see Mk.II has many changes. Whether they are real improvements or not - remains to be seen.

Build log will follow as soon as I got some free time....
Verid is offline Find More Posts by Verid