HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:43 AM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
751 Posts
GForce Motor

I'm going to try this motor with a Castle Phoenix 25 or 36. Stock folding prop.

Specifications:
KV: 1200
Shaft Diameter(mm): 3.17
Stator Diameter(mm): 22
Stator Length(mm): 12
Weight(g): 56
Outside Diameter(mm): 28
Body Length(mm): 31
Load Current(A): 22
Unload Current(A): 1
Max Power(W): 200
Thrust(g): 300-1000

http://www.valuehobby.com/gforce-e400-2830-1200kv.html

-Rocko
rockom is offline Find More Posts by rockom
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
501 Posts
Jürgen
Thanks for the additional information about the mount. It favors the option A I mentioned.

Finding the right motor in the U.S., not being capable of following the instructions, is the real problem. Has Multiplex come out with a list of appropriate motors, with the shaft already through the fixed end, that are readily available in the U.S.? I've seen the Mike Mayberry post about the Cobra from Innovative Designs.

Rocko's choice above seems the answer to Texas Buzzard's question.

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DuPageJoe; Jul 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: new post above mine
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, WV, Calhoun
Joined Nov 2004
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightz View Post
I'm going to try this motor with a Castle Phoenix 25 or 36. Stock folding prop.

Specifications:
KV: 1200
Shaft Diameter(mm): 3.17
Stator Diameter(mm): 22
Stator Length(mm): 12
Weight(g): 56
Outside Diameter(mm): 28
Body Length(mm): 31
Load Current(A): 22
Unload Current(A): 1
Max Power(W): 200
Thrust(g): 300-1000

http://www.valuehobby.com/gforce-e400-2830-1200kv.html

-Rocko
I am having a hard time understanding these outrunners. Why did you choose the E400 verses the E450? The E450 looks to me to be the better choice. Thank you for any insight into your choice.

Todd
skyhawk1 is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk1
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk1 View Post
I am having a hard time understanding these outrunners. Why did you choose the E400 verses the E450? The E450 looks to me to be the better choice. Thank you for any insight into your choice.

Todd
Todd,

I think the E450 would work just fine as well. My target was a 175W~200W solution similar to the motor suggested in post #520 or #684. The E450 is a 250W motor.
So between the two, the E400 should get better flight times at lower peak current and the E450 will have a little higher performance at the expense of flight time and current draw.

-Rocko
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:07 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk1 View Post

Todd

Todd,
The E450 is 36mm in length. The E400 is 31mm, which is much closer to the 30mm specified by Multiplex. The E400 will also operate more efficiently.

Joe,
Ebay is flooded with 2830mm 1000KV outrunners with the shaft in the right end of the motor. The price range is from $10 (incl worldwide shipping) to $30.
Try searching "2830 outrunner" and see what you get!
NOTE: I found that I get very different search results (from the exact same search words) on different ebay sites (Ebay.com, Ebay.de, Ebay.co.uk, etc) even if I check the "Worldwide" box.

I've just flown my $9 (incl ship.), 2826 1000KV outrunner fitted ES ll for more than 1 hour FPV skysurfing. I must have put at least 6 hours on that motor now, and it runs absolutely fine. I have just ordered a 2830 1000KV (at $11 incl ship.) from the same vendor, to see if I can get a better climb rate. After I started skysurfing, I can't get up there quickly enough
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
501 Posts
Thanks Mike_O

That's probably the information that should have come out in the first place to Texas Buzzard. Hopefully, he isn't too loyal to his local hobby shop. Some of us retired folks try to stay away from the temptations of E-Bay as much as we can.

Oh well, He can always buy an AXI 2212/20 Gold Series from Hobby Lobby at $89.95 a pop.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
Thanks Mike_O

That's probably the information that should have come out in the first place to Texas Buzzard. Hopefully, he isn't too loyal to his local hobby shop. Some of us retired folks try to stay away from the temptations of E-Bay as much as we can.

Oh well, He can always buy an AXI 2212/20 Gold Series from Hobby Lobby at $89.95 a pop.

Joe

Joe,

Value Hobby is just around the corner from you in Bensenville. He allows "warehouse pickup". Or, shipping is only $3.99 in the lower 48.
I like my LHS but I can't even get their for $3.99.

-Rocko
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:05 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
501 Posts
Thanks Rocko

That shipping is a bargain. Chicago is pretty spread out. Bensenville is a 2 gallon round trip for me.

One thing Mike_o didn't emphasize when recommending the 400 over the 450, is the increased possibility of wire chafing from the longer rotating motor bell inside that pod. Look at the schematic of the motor mounting procedure and see the wires clipped to the inside of the pod. Best to stick to the one nearest the specified length.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
...Some of us retired folks try to stay away from the temptations of E-Bay as much as we can....
Joe
Joe,

I know exactly what you mean, and I'm not retired yet :-) I'm just waiting for the first scientific study to disclose what some of us already strongly suspect: That Ebay is as addictive as gambling

Well, just to get back on topic: After todays flight, I just have to say how pleased I am with the ES ll as a FPV plane. First of all it's so good natured, that when the video feed disappears (or the cloud gets too dense (no OSD)), I just let go of the sticks, and when the feed returns, the plane is just gliding happily along. Secondly, it's a very efficient bird, I power it upwards for 5-8 minutes at full throttle, reach the cloud base, and then soar almost forever. Finally, the "pack it into the box" - feature makes is so much more convenient. It lives in my trunk together with a small sports bag containing Tx, LiPos, and FPV gear. From I park the car till the plane is in the air takes less than 6 minutes
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:08 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Well, if a modeler has problems mounting an electric motor in a plane, i.e. in this case following an illustrated instruction manual and using two machine screws, he (or she ) may have chosen the wrong hobby.

Jürgen

Before you make strident remarks like this, you should look at Texas Buzzard's stable of planes from 2008.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770578

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:23 AM
Kingdom of The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
154 Posts
OT Please
HBFP NL is offline Find More Posts by HBFP NL
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:24 AM
India, Karnataka, Bengaluru
Joined May 2011
197 Posts
I tried NTM 3530 outrunner with 8x4 prop (with the small parts mount)
My plane is 1200grams with fpv setup. Had to give full throttle during the takeoff.
Not sure i have to move to a 9x4 prop.
foamybuilder is online now Find More Posts by foamybuilder
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2012
52 Posts
EasyStar Build Complete

Finished up the build of my Easy Star II. This was my first kit build, took a while, but I'm pretty happy w/ the results. My skill w/ duct tape is beginner, I ended up w/ a number of creases in the tape trying to work around curves. At least it's visible, and should be protected for landings. Hoping to maiden it this weekend.

Any tips for using the ailerons on the EasyStar? Are they primarily for keeping wings level, or can be used for 'bank and yank' turning?
mwoneal is offline Find More Posts by mwoneal
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:22 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoneal View Post
.........Any tips for using the ailerons on the EasyStar? Are they primarily for keeping wings level, or can be used for 'bank and yank' turning?
Nice color scheme!

The ailerons makes a huge difference in performance, do fit them! The only real way to turn a plane is to bank it, and the EasyStar without ailerons will also bank when turning (as inner wing speed decreases and outer wing wing speed increases when turning by rudder), but the rudder induced turn is hesitiant and wobbly compared to the aileron/elevator turn. I flew my ES2 with rudder only a couple of flights, and while it's doable, I'm not going back there if I can avoid it.

Couldn't you fit the motor inside the pod? There's just been a discussion on this in the thread - look back a few posts to see.
EDIT: Just saw your previous post on the motor shaft. I'd probably just skip the clip, and add a couple of washers or a spacer between the prop and the motor bearing to take up the thrust. Place the small, original washer next to the bearing to ensure that the thrust vectors into the inner, rotating part of the bearing only.

Good luck on the maiden!
Last edited by mike_o; Jul 21, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:35 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
The only real way to turn a plane is to bank it, and the EasyStar without ailerons will also bank when turning (as inner wing speed decreases and out wing wing speed increases when turning by rudder)
At the risk of being labelled pedantic, the major reason that the bank is induced is not due to the relative speeds of the wings - though that does assist.

Every control on an aircraft (model or full size) has a primary and a secondary effect. The primary effect of using the rudder is yaw. When an aircraft with dihedral yaws, the yaw actually increases the effective angle of attack of the forward going wing, thereby increasing the lift on that side. Thus a bank is induced. Hence roll is the secondary effect of using the rudder.

Obviously, relying on the secondary effect of a control is far less positive and efficient than using the primary effect of the ailerons to do the same job. But personally, I have not found flying the EZII R/E/T wobbly at all - on the contrary I have found it smooth and stable.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink