Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:10 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
If this has been answered please accept my apologies for asking but I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

Does this power system still work for the Easy Star II?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPVF5&P=X

Thanks
Curtis
Montana
Curtis,

this has been discussed before, but maybe in the "Multiplex EasyStar l and ll 2012, Anything..." thread. Anyway, it's not a good setup for the ES ll, as this comes with a larger and higher pitch prop, that calls for more torque and less RPMs.

Furthermore, the motorpod is nicely laid out for a 2830 (dia x length in mm) outrunner, which typically runs more efficient and cooler than an inrunner.

Get a ($10 EMP or equivalent) 2830 1000KV outrunner and a 30A ESC, and you're in business. I run a $7 2826 1000KV outrunner, and that works well too, but I won't be doing any 3D flying :-)

rgds

Mike
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Curtis,

this has been discussed before, but maybe in the "Multiplex EasyStar l and ll 2012, Anything..." thread. Anyway, it's not a good setup for the ES ll, as this comes with a larger and higher pitch prop, that calls for more torque and less RPMs.

Furthermore, the motorpod is nicely laid out for a 2830 (dia x length in mm) outrunner, which typically runs more efficient and cooler than an inrunner.

Get a ($10 EMP or equivalent) 2830 1000KV outrunner and a 30A ESC, and you're in business. I run a $7 2826 1000KV outrunner, and that works well too, but I won't be doing any 3D flying :-)

rgds

Mike
True. I think the 2 version would do nice with a 1100kv or so outrunner with the 7x6 folder where the EZ1 would want a 2000kv with a 6x4.
The 2 version will do with a 2000kv or so BL motor as long as you don't over prop it. A 1100 or so with the folder should be a nice quiet set up over the EZ1 with the higher kv motor.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:00 PM
Minneapolis, MN and Durango, CO
Joined Apr 2002
209 Posts
EZ II Motor

As was previously pointed out the 2000KV motor will produce about 175 watts with the 7/6 folder if you run 2 cells instead of 3 cells. The 3 cell pack produces about 375 watts which is much more than this plane wants or needs.

I've found several outrunners that will fit but many of them have a 4mm shaft and the spinner that comes with the Easy is for a 3.2mm shaft or smaller. There are two prop adapters and one of them fits a smaller motor shaft..

What outrunners in the correct size for the Easy have a 3.1 shaft? Links would be great if you have them.
Ed
EBerris is offline Find More Posts by EBerris
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
My Easy is done now

APC SPORT 6 X 4
GO BRUSHLESS 2505-2535
SMALLPARTSCNC Motor Mount
Magnets in Wing root
Carbon Rod in Elev for stiffness
Will Put Extreme tape on bottom of Fuse , for landing on grass
Added an Carbon Rod that slides inside supplied glass spar - that go further out in wing , for added stiffness ..

...............te
That turned out sharp. Do you have any photos of the magnet setup? What did you use to lengthen spar holes in the wing?
mwoneal is offline Find More Posts by mwoneal
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
52 Posts
Worked on the build some over the weekend, finished joining the fuse tonight. I liked Verid's tail spar and have hopes of doing some photography with this plane eventually, so I built one into mine

Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:46 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBerris View Post
As was previously pointed out the 2000KV motor will produce about 175 watts with the 7/6 folder if you run 2 cells instead of 3 cells. The 3 cell pack produces about 375 watts which is much more than this plane wants or needs.

I've found several outrunners that will fit but many of them have a 4mm shaft and the spinner that comes with the Easy is for a 3.2mm shaft or smaller. There are two prop adapters and one of them fits a smaller motor shaft..

What outrunners in the correct size for the Easy have a 3.1 shaft? Links would be great if you have them.
Ed
My ES ll kit contained two adaptors, one for 3.00mm diameter shafts and one for 3.17mm shafts.

So most 2826mm and 2830 outrunners will fit. They normally use 3.17mm shaft.

I don't think we are allowed to link to live ebay pages, but here is a photo of a good $11 candidate:

This one will have to have the shaft reversed to have it exit at the mount side. Normally this is easy-peasy, but if you prefer not to do that, then try this:

mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Last edited by mike_o; Jul 16, 2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:32 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Ooops! Out of synch post!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:20 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
831 Posts
magnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoneal View Post
That turned out sharp. Do you have any photos of the magnet setup? What did you use to lengthen spar holes in the wing?
I took two magnets , let them hook up the way they wanted to , to get polarity straight ,left them togeather and pressed them in foam at two places on wing root to get an impression . Then carefully cut out the impression, then glue one magnet in each cut out so they were even with the foam - set the other magnets aside not. After the two magnets were glued in and dry - I popped the other two magnets on the ones glued in, let them align themselves - pushed wings togeather , so as to get impression in the other wing root ,cut out impression-then glued them in the other wing .
can't take pict now , as I have wings in fuse and it was a pain in arse getting the wires up to cockpit area with a long wire which had a hook on the end to drag em forward . I made sure all wires were long enuff to reach cockpit before gluing fuse halfs togeather
I did not plan on removing wings for transport - so skipped some of items in multiplex kit , Although I can remove them if needed. Once wings are in Fuse then I used white elec tape along top of wing and fuse for extra security .
as for the rod in the wing , I cut some teeth in the end of a hollow carbon rod and used it to " drill" further back in the wing til I had about 6 more inches further out on each wing . Course You could take soldering iron and metal ruler and heat/melt a groove but did not want to mess up looks of wing .After "drilling " holes in wing - I used a solid Carbon rod that fit inside suppied wing spar ,CA'd rod to fiberglass spar so as to maintain equal length-....te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
52 Posts
Thanks for the detailed description, I feel like I've seen several photos. Might try the magnets.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:09 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
Daniel has some as well , he just pointed out to me

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...DSP400-mtr-mnt
Not to mention the best motors and warranty!!!
Owner of 2505-2800 speed in cool orange bell and 2510-1300 not cheap but hand wound and made by Dan Sny.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:10 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
Anybody flying the ES2 with rudder only? I had an ES1 with a enlarged rudder
and it flew great. I am building a ES2 and it has a bigger rudder than the one.
I have lots of aileron planes but love the stabilty of a rudder only ship. This will be a camera plane. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself that it needs ailerons/added weight and more pilot input.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammergier View Post
Anybody flying the ES2 with rudder only? I had an ES1 with a enlarged rudder and it flew great. I am building a ES2 and it has a bigger rudder than the one.
I have lots of aileron planes but love the stabilty of a rudder only ship. This will be a camera plane. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself that it needs ailerons/added weight and more pilot input.
Do you really mean 'Rudder only'???????????

If you mean R/E/T, then yes that's how mine is at the moment though I have all the servos, linkages and wiring for the ailerons fitted - I just haven't connected to the Rx or cut the surfaces free.

It flies fine like this; a lot more relaxing and smooth than my EZI, though that might partly be because it is straighter, lighter and isn't pumping out nearly 200W....
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:02 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
Yes I meant RET as opposed to ARET
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammergier View Post
Yes I meant RET as opposed to ARET
Thought as much - it's just that I also have an interest in Vintage where 'Rudder only' means exactly that. You never know what people will try.........!!