10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Do not need this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
Sir Blink, is this legal over there ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-osmN...em-uploademail
THIS is what we DO NOT NEED IN THE USA. Please. If anyone out there is even thinking of pulling this stunt. Think of our RC sport first.
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:59 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANK3RS View Post
ES II RTF will be available in the UK next month "August" think i might hang out until then £200 not bad considering you get the SMART SX M-LINK TX & RX.

Greetings Modellers my 1st post
ANK3RS,

welcome to the forum!

Mike
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:04 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
THIS is what we DO NOT NEED IN THE USA. Please. If anyone out there is even thinking of pulling this stunt. Think of our RC sport first.
SARG5
I think you're too late - he's already done New York. But I agree totally with your sentiment.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:34 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,734 Posts
Wasn't a Lanc or a Mossie, was it?? I remember a joke about a Lufthansa pilot inquiring testily why, when he was a German pilot flying a German plane for a German airline into a German airport, he had to use English? Another pilot said "Because you lost the bloody war."

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:11 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANK3RS View Post
ES II RTF will be available in the UK next month "August" think i might hang out until then £200 not bad considering you get the SMART SX M-LINK TX & RX.

Greetings Modellers my 1st post
Welcome to RCG ANK3Rs.

Dont listen to MR Blink.

It would be worth the price if it included a optic6 otherwise not that good of a deal.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Seems to be very close to the recommended set up. I doubt if 1050KV will make any difference from 1000KV.
Went ahead and ordered this setup, along with a 3S 2200 mAh 25C battery to go with it. Cheaper than a lot of the power systems our there, hopefully it will last for a while. Should be building this weekend!
mwoneal is offline Find More Posts by mwoneal
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:58 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I immediately realised what was wrong - pilot stupidity!!! I had left the tranny on Model 1 (EZI) not Model 2 (EZII). This meant that the elevator was reversed and caused the crash. ...
That's when Spektrum's "Model Match" or similar features can safe the day.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is online now Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:20 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,785 Posts
Quote:
Well I finally maidened my EZII....sort of.......well yes.....finally.

With the ludicrous weather we've been having here in the UK the combination of my availability and the weather being suitable for maidening a new model has meant I've been waiting weeks.

Trudged (squelched) up onto the moor, and put the model together, making trebly sure that the elevator was securely connected. Range check, corrected the elevator trim so the elevator was neutral (hmmm...must have changed with removing the tailplane and replacing it), control check, one third throttle, throw.......

........into a severe nose dive and crash!!

I immediately realised what was wrong - pilot stupidity!!! I had left the tranny on Model 1 (EZI) not Model 2 (EZII). This meant that the elevator was reversed and caused the crash. The doubly stupid thing was that I hadn't noticed when doing my control check that it was reversed. The triply stupid thing was that I hadn't even noticed when retrimming the elevator (and that's the reason I had to retrim....).

The fuz halves joint at the front had come apart, and the battery had tried to come out the front. There is a slight misshape, but not much. I had used double sided tape - if I had glued, would it have caused more damage? The underside had packing tape on it. Moved the battery back, squeezed the fuz back together (after a fashion) and RESET THE Tx!!!!!!!!!!!

Next flight was much better - it doesnt climb like an EZ1 on a 2700kV inrunner on 3S, but definitely better than a std EZ1. It gains height quickly and without fuss. It is also very quiet - just the thing for flying at 6am!!. It flies very smoothly & gracefully - most relaxing!!! However, the surprise for me was the fact that it (well, mine) drops a wing quite markedly in a stall. I tried three times, and three times it dropped. Not viciously, and as soon as you relax the back pressure it flies again - but by then you can be 90 degrees off your original heading. Be ready!

After less than 5 mins, the stupid 2012 summer weather meant we went from cloudy but warm evening to big, very wet, drops of rain - and my model was still at 250ft or so!! I brought it in for its first landing in heavy rain on a long, slow final towards me. By the time I got to the car, it was thunder & lightning and I was soaked!

Oh and that nice glossy box doesn't stand up to getting wet very well.....
We always do a pre flight check and has saved us what happened to you.
It's kinda like making sure everyone has there seat belt on before backing out of the drive.
If you do that there is no need for a new radio that I wouldn't recommend anyway.
As far as the box thing goes you know how i feel about that but you could spray some poly acrylic on it next time to water proof it.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,498 Posts
Quote:
Range check, corrected the elevator trim................control check, one third throttle, throw............. The doubly stupid thing was that I hadn't noticed when doing my control check that it was reversed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
We always do a pre flight check and has saved us what happened to you. It's kinda like making sure everyone has there seat belt on before backing out of the drive. If you do that there is no need for a new radio that I wouldn't recommend anyway.
As evidenced by my original post (Exhibit A m'lud), I did and always do a range check before every session and a control check before every launch (after I once somehow lost all power after a true greaser landing and immediately relaunched with no control - cue a two piece EZ* fuselage!). The stupidity was that I hadn't realised that I had begun to look without seeing. I looked at the elevator moving, yet didn't see it was reversed. It is a recognised issue with routine in full-size aviation, when the consequences can be far more serious. I'm actually glad this happened, as it will make me more meticulous in the future!! I'll not be buying a new radio because of this, as I do not consider it the fault of the Tx, but of the pilot.

Oh, and that's a good tip about the box - I'll be buying some WBPU for another modelling project shortly, so I may just blather some of that over the box!!
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jul 11, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:05 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
... I do not consider it the fault of the Tx, but of the pilot.
Of course it was "human failure", but that's where technical solutions save the day, because Murphy's law says: "What can go wrong, will go wrong".

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is online now Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:01 AM
UK, West Sussex, Worthing
Joined Oct 2010
68 Posts
always do a preflight wiggle of the sticks to make sure everything is hooked up and in the right direction.

This saved me twice last week, when I arrived at the flying field I put it all together switched on and did a little test of stick movement and on two separate trips to the field noticed I hadn't clipped the elevator on.

happy flying!
Steve
worthingsteve is offline Find More Posts by worthingsteve
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:05 AM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,193 Posts
Been there, done that! That's why I now always say... up/up, down/down, right/right, left/left!

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
674 Posts
Best Vid ive seen years Verid !
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry View Post
Been there, done that! That's why I now always say... up/up, down/down, right/right, left/left!

Mike.
Mybe I'm doing it wrong but for me I push up on the tx and the plane goes down

I pull down on the stick and the plane goes up.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Mybe I'm doing it wrong but for me I push up on the tx and the plane goes down...I pull down on the stick and the plane goes up.
I think it's safer to the check before the model is in the air, Bob!