HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:23 AM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
That motor was recommended for the original EZ Star although it should be okay with the V2 but on a 2S Lipo, not 3S unless you use a smaller prop.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:20 PM
Minneapolis, MN and Durango, CO
Joined Apr 2002
211 Posts
Mike you are correct sir and your solution of running a 2 cell pack will do the job. That combination produce 175 watts of power. With a 3 cell pack it produce 375 watts but the life of the motor and flight times would be significantly reduced so two cells is what I will use.

Thanks for your input.
Ed
EBerris is offline Find More Posts by EBerris
Last edited by EBerris; Jul 11, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:08 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
Well I finally maidened my EZII....sort of.......well yes.....finally.

With the ludicrous weather we've been having here in the UK the combination of my availability and the weather being suitable for maidening a new model has meant I've been waiting weeks.

Trudged (squelched) up onto the moor, and put the model together, making trebly sure that the elevator was securely connected. Range check, corrected the elevator trim so the elevator was neutral (hmmm...must have changed with removing the tailplane and replacing it), control check, one third throttle, throw.......

........into a severe nose dive and crash!!

I immediately realised what was wrong - pilot stupidity!!! I had left the tranny on Model 1 (EZI) not Model 2 (EZII). This meant that the elevator was reversed and caused the crash. The doubly stupid thing was that I hadn't noticed when doing my control check that it was reversed. The triply stupid thing was that I hadn't even noticed when retrimming the elevator (and that's the reason I had to retrim....).

The fuz halves joint at the front had come apart, and the battery had tried to come out the front. There is a slight misshape, but not much. I had used double sided tape - if I had glued, would it have caused more damage? The underside had packing tape on it. Moved the battery back, squeezed the fuz back together (after a fashion) and RESET THE Tx!!!!!!!!!!!

Next flight was much better - it doesnt climb like an EZ1 on a 2700kV inrunner on 3S, but definitely better than a std EZ1. It gains height quickly and without fuss. It is also very quiet - just the thing for flying at 6am!!. It flies very smoothly & gracefully - most relaxing!!! However, the surprise for me was the fact that it (well, mine) drops a wing quite markedly in a stall. I tried three times, and three times it dropped. Not viciously, and as soon as you relax the back pressure it flies again - but by then you can be 90 degrees off your original heading. Be ready!

After less than 5 mins, the stupid 2012 summer weather meant we went from cloudy but warm evening to big, very wet, drops of rain - and my model was still at 250ft or so!! I brought it in for its first landing in heavy rain on a long, slow final towards me. By the time I got to the car, it was thunder & lightning and I was soaked!

Oh and that nice glossy box doesn't stand up to getting wet very well.....
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:41 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,595 Posts
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Last edited by mike_o; Jan 01, 2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: double post
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Aug 2008
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post

After less than 5 mins, the stupid 2012 summer weather meant we went from cloudy but warm evening to big, very wet, drops of rain - and my model was still at 250ft or so!! I brought it in for its first landing in heavy rain on a long, slow final towards me. By the time I got to the car, it was thunder & lightning and I was soaked!
Your description of the Ilkley weather brought back memories from a LONG time ago.

My Wife and I lived above Middleton Woods on the edge of the moor for 12 months. The weather often changed from clear blue sky at 8am to cloudy with rain at midday and back to clear weather again before dark. Made outdoor activities quite a challenge.
Mehari is offline Find More Posts by Mehari
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:37 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
837 Posts
Sir Blink, is this legal over there ?

BERLIN [german version] (3 min 4 sec)
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:50 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
Quote:
Well I finally maidened my EZII....sort of.......well yes.....finally.

With the ludicrous weather we've been having here in the UK the combination of my availability and the weather being suitable for maidening a new model has meant I've been waiting weeks.

Trudged (squelched) up onto the moor, and put the model together, making trebly sure that the elevator was securely connected. Range check, corrected the elevator trim so the elevator was neutral (hmmm...must have changed with removing the tailplane and replacing it), control check, one third throttle, throw.......

........into a severe nose dive and crash!!

I immediately realised what was wrong - pilot stupidity!!! I had left the tranny on Model 1 (EZI) not Model 2 (EZII). This meant that the elevator was reversed and caused the crash. The doubly stupid thing was that I hadn't noticed when doing my control check that it was reversed. The triply stupid thing was that I hadn't even noticed when retrimming the elevator (and that's the reason I had to retrim....).

The fuz halves joint at the front had come apart, and the battery had tried to come out the front. There is a slight misshape, but not much. I had used double sided tape - if I had glued, would it have caused more damage? The underside had packing tape on it. Moved the battery back, squeezed the fuz back together (after a fashion) and RESET THE Tx!!!!!!!!!!!

Next flight was much better - it doesnt climb like an EZ1 on a 2700kV inrunner on 3S, but definitely better than a std EZ1. It gains height quickly and without fuss. It is also very quiet - just the thing for flying at 6am!!. It flies very smoothly & gracefully - most relaxing!!! However, the surprise for me was the fact that it (well, mine) drops a wing quite markedly in a stall. I tried three times, and three times it dropped. Not viciously, and as soon as you relax the back pressure it flies again - but by then you can be 90 degrees off your original heading. Be ready!

Oh and that nice glossy box doesn't stand up to getting wet very well.....
Why would you want to wade through a swamp with tall weeds and fly?
That great inovation made things better I see
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
Sir Blink, is this legal over there ?
I doubt that that sort of thing is legal anywhere, and is the sort of thing that will get FPV banned, and likely the rest of RC flying fall under far stricter controls. And will that guy care about the millions of people who are affected? No - the same as he couldn't give a tinker's cuss about those in the cars who his flying may injure in the ensuing accident should he have some sort of catastrophic failure of his model/system. I'm all for freedom, but that flight seemed to ignore some basic common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Why would you want to wade through a swamp with tall weeds and fly?
To keep away from those who complain about anything and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
That great inovation made things better I see
Bob - I presume that you are clumsily referring to the removable tailplane? Well, if you read my post you will see that that had nothing to do with the reversed elevator issue. It was purely my own non-application of what little intelligence I have been blessed. I'll admit that for the price Multiplex charge, I should have expected self-loading tailplane and wings and full 360 degree airbags, but then a fool and his money are easily parted, eh???
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:51 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
Quote:
I doubt that that sort of thing is legal anywhere, and is the sort of thing that will get FPV banned, and likely the rest of RC flying fall under far stricter controls. And will that guy care about the millions of people who are affected? No - the same as he couldn't give a tinker's cuss about those in the cars who his flying may injure in the ensuing accident should he have some sort of catastrophic failure of his model/system. I'm all for freedom, but that flight seemed to ignore some basic common sense.

To keep away from those who complain about anything and everything.

Bob - I presume that you are clumsily referring to the removable tailplane? Well, if you read my post you will see that that had nothing to do with the reversed elevator issue. It was purely my own non-application of what little intelligence I have been blessed. I'll admit that for the price Multiplex charge, I should have expected self-loading tailplane and wings and full 360 degree airbags, but then a fool and his money are easily parted, eh???
I to would keep away from Scott he is a bad influence.

I Might try and talk Scott into purchasing a 2 but was wondering if you could eliminate the tiny parts that are for the removal of the tail feathers and just glue it in place ?
That way we could compare the 2.
You still need to look at the other plane Scott has talked to you about
I would think you could with the great engineering of mpx
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2012
52 Posts
Picked up an Easy Star II kit at the LHS this week, only one they had in stock. Been researching power system this weekend, lots of (mis)information out there to sort through! This is my first ES platform, so trying to duplicate stock power system and get it here quick. Looking at this motor/esc combo, any thoughts?
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-30-Amp/Detail
mwoneal is offline Find More Posts by mwoneal
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:22 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Ok guys, since this thread will have hundreds of pages soon may I suggest starting new thread committed only to electronics, power settings (motors, ESC, FPV equipment etc.)
It is very hard here to find anything specific and sort through hundreds of chit-chat talk posts. Its been done with Skywalker and we could model the posts as here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494373

This way we could avoid answering/repeating same questions over and over again by simple redirecting these questions to the specific thread.
It could be combined with Bixler and Skysurfer as the planes are virtually very similar.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Last edited by nakelp86; Jul 08, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Staffordshire
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
ES II RTF will be available in the UK next month "August" think i might hang out until then 200 not bad considering you get the SMART SX M-LINK TX & RX.

Greetings Modellers my 1st post
ANK3RS is offline Find More Posts by ANK3RS
Last edited by ANK3RS; Jul 08, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANK3RS View Post
.... 200 not bad considering you get the SMART SX M-LINK TX & RX.
....wait until Bob reads that - then you'll hear some new words!!

Welcome, Ank3rs - hope you've brought your sense of humour!!!
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:27 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoneal View Post
Picked up an Easy Star II kit at the LHS this week, only one they had in stock. Been researching power system this weekend, lots of (mis)information out there to sort through! This is my first ES platform, so trying to duplicate stock power system and get it here quick. Looking at this motor/esc combo, any thoughts?
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-30-Amp/Detail
Seems to be very close to the recommended set up. I doubt if 1050KV will make any difference from 1000KV.
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:55 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
837 Posts
Col Blink

I have a shinny new EZ* II box , that I would behappy to share with you

I won't need it, soon as I get this EZ togeather ..

...............te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler