HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCanuck View Post
Remind me again folks why so much mod chat before ever flying it stock?

At what point will you know you have improved performance or degraded performance vs stock?
Cuz I'm FPV flyer that beats s.... out of a EZ* Mk.I and I already know where it gonna break if I push it too hard. Since Mk.II already has nice mods done by Multiplex (ailerons and sturdy motor mount) so I added only some reinforcements that allowed my Mk.I to survive two years of frequent crashing.

I'll repeat it again:

There's absolutely NO necessity to add any modifications to stock EZ* Mk.II if you are going to fly it LOS or peacefully FPV with light equipment. Those mods are only for those who like to fly no higher than 3 meters and love tree hugging.
Verid is offline Find More Posts by Verid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:34 PM
um, yea, I can make that crash
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Aug 2011
2,574 Posts
My ES2 was waiting for me when I got home, hopefully the power parts will be here tomorrow.

Excuse the potentially silly question: Is there a way of joining the two halves of the body in a way that it can be opened again later?
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:53 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Yup, use double-sided tape

Can also use CA blobs if you like. It'll open up fairly easily with a knife afterwards (I used strips of DS tape, then dribbled in small amounts of CA where the halves didn't meet up too well)

Edit: got my tape from the craft area of The Range - medium, not permanent. It survived a very solid prang on Sunday.
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Last edited by AshtonFlyer; Jan 31, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
I've set up EZ II RR with stock equipment and measured the static thrust at full throttle with a kitchen scale. It gave me 350 grams. Is that enough? I expected a higher value.
shrubber is offline Find More Posts by shrubber
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
sounds okay. My non-stock is 308g
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
Thanks for your answer. My RC knowledge got stuck in 1990, and I don't have a feel for foamies and electric motors.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
I need to check the stock motor in motocalc, I'm not sure that folding prop (although nice) is optimum
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:46 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubber View Post
I've set up EZ II RR with stock equipment and measured the static thrust at full throttle with a kitchen scale. It gave me 350 grams. Is that enough? I expected a higher value.

What makes you doubt the ability of the stock equipment?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:48 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
I need to check the stock motor in motocalc, I'm not sure that folding prop (although nice) is optimum
Optimal for what? The EZ is a gilder and a prop that folds and reduces drag seems optimal to me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
What makes you doubt the ability of the stock equipment?
I was doubting my ability to set up the controller.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:07 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
I was doubting my ability to set up the controller.
Ok, I see. You might want to consider a watt meter http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/14068...Types&var=sbar

Much better method of checking power.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
Hi Ashton,

Folding props do in fact allow planes to experience less drag when the motor is off, and we are just floating around on either thermals or coming gradually down from high altitudes with the motor off.

With that said though, there are many flyers who don't do a lot of their flying with the motor shut off; preferring instead to fly a more aggressive style where the motor is on a good deal of the time.

Your gut feeling then, may have some merit in that the folding prop may be less than optimal for certain types of flying.

For these types of flyers, they may find that a different prop would allow better efficiency for their flights, in the sense that they get more bang for the buck with a fixed blade prop than they do with the folder.

So you are correct in thinking that folding props are not necessarily the optimal choice in all situations.

Take care,

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your answer. My RC knowledge got stuck in 1990, and I don't have a feel for foamies and electric motors.
It's relatively easy to get a 'feel' for foamies and electrics when coming from gas and nitro planes; in spite of the seemingly insurmountable task of trying to decipher all the mumbo jumbo.

I've written a tutorial on the basics, in words that even the rankest newcomers can understand and feel comfortable with. Have a look for yourself, and see what you think.

Beginners Guide to Picking Motors and Props

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:59 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
It's not the folding aspect that I was thinking of, in fact I think it's great. It's the prop pitch.

MotoCalc:

"The diameter (7.0in) to pitch (6.0in) ratio is less than 1.5:1, which will result in reduced propeller efficiency at low speeds (the propeller is stalled). Although this is not likely to affect flying characteristics, it may make take-off or hand launching difficult."

I couldn't find a single power combo that recommended a 7x6 prop. Plenty for 7x4, 7x3.5 or 7x5 though - the real optimums are in the 8x range, but unless I mod the mount or chop the fuse, they're a no-go.

Thanks for the link - I'll try WebOcalc at work when it's quiet
Last edited by AshtonFlyer; Feb 03, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:43 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
For these types of flyers, they may find that a different prop would allow better efficiency for their flights, in the sense that they get more bang for the buck with a fixed blade prop than they do with the folder.
How can you get "more bang for the buck" than with a prop, which is already included in the kit?

Whatever alternative prop you'll buy, it will cost you additional money.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig