HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:42 AM
um, yea, I can make that crash
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Aug 2011
2,683 Posts
Hi all EZ2 owners, just ordered a 'kit' and want to get some recommendations on what power system parts to get. I'll be honest I'm new to fixed wing but not to RC (Got a few home built multi rotors now) and this will be my learner plane that if all goes to plan will eventually end up being flown FPV.

So, i have a good supply of 3s 2200mAh batteries, what motor, ESC and servos are recommended and work with that battery and the supplied prop?

Also would there be anything else needed? I have Tx/Rx already.

Thanks

Wayne
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Just maidened mine on a 2200kv outrunner with 6x4E prop - not my first choice of engine, would've preferred a motor to suit the stock prop but very hard to locate on a budget.

My advice would be to look for a 1200-1600kv inrunner (fits into the nacelle easier than an outrunner, unless you buy MPX stock) to work with the supplied folding prop. The rear-facing mount means it's hard to pinpoint a matching outrunner.

Edit: this one looks ideal: http://www.giantcod.co.uk/keda-kb284...-p-403895.html

. I got a black mantis 40A esc from giantcod - it's light and very robust, works very well with digi servos (5v). The servos were HK 939MG
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Last edited by AshtonFlyer; Jan 29, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
Just maidened mine on a 2200kv outrunner with 6x4E prop - not my first choice of engine, would've preferred a motor to suit the stock prop but very hard to locate on a budget.

My advice would be to look for a 1200-1600kv inrunner (fits into the nacelle easier than an outrunner, unless you buy MPX stock) to work with the supplied folding prop. The rear-facing mount means it's hard to pinpoint a matching outrunner.

Edit: this one looks ideal: http://www.giantcod.co.uk/keda-kb284...-p-403895.html

. I got a black mantis 40A esc from giantcod - it's light and very robust, works very well with digi servos (5v). The servos were HK 939MG
Those Keda motors are good. I have used them. The one you list is a bit under powered for the EZ* as it would need a bigger prop.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,683 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa
Those Keda motors are good. I have used them. The one you list is a bit under powered for the EZ* as it would need a bigger prop.
Thanks, so I'm looking for a 28mm OD inrunner (is that the max diameter for the ES2?) with a kv of 1100-1600. If the ones linked to are a bit under power for the supplied prop what sort of W or A should i be looking for?

Would any 12g servo fit the space? I'm trying to avoid having to modify the plane in any way for the time being.

Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
I believe the HS55's are a drop-in fit. Mine were about 2mm overlong, but otherwise fine.

The problem with the EZII is that you can't just glue a motor in. It has a rear-facing built in motor mount. I've looked for a 'reversible' outrunner that would fit, and only come up with that 2200kv model so far. I've taken some measurements on the available space:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=523

If you want to use the 7x6 stock folding, I've just fitted mine to my son's Hawk Sky (no good for the 2200) with a 1650kv motor and stock ESC (20A?). I bought the motor to see if it would fit the EZ, but no-go so I fitted it to his as an upgrade. Flies like a beaut

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/cf2812-165...otor-p-52.html

Great price, great specs, shame it didn't fit!
Last edited by AshtonFlyer; Jan 29, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,683 Posts
ah, the multiplex site says its 8g servos as standard, i have two of those in a camera gimbal so they i would recognise. Not much use for servos in quads so its something I'm new to really. I assume the ailerons would need two more of the same servos, i may get them now to make life easier in future. I also assume that no hardware for the ailerons are included in the kit.

No clues to OEM motors to find a direct comparison though...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,683 Posts
Quote:
I believe the HS55's are a drop-in fit. Mine were about 2mm overlong, but otherwise fine.

The problem with the EZII is that you can't just glue a motor in. It has a rear-facing built in motor mount. I've looked for a 'reversible' outrunner that would fit, and only come up with that 2200kv model so far. I've taken some measurements on the available space:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=523
thanks for the link to images, helps a lot. OK, another noob question: Why and inrunner if they are hard to find in the correct size? Why couldn't i use an outrunner with a 28mm diameter instead? Looks like it will fit fine and have the shaft in the correct way as standard.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:13 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
The rear-facing mount means it's hard to pinpoint a matching outrunner.

There are many outrunners which are built just the way you need it:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html

I would not call a 135g inrunner an ideal substitute for a 50g outrunner.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
There are many outrunners which are built just the way you need it.

I would not call a 135g inrunner an ideal subsitute for a 50g outrunner.

Jürgen
But very hard to spot from the pictures..

If someone had confirmed a 'drop-in' outrunner replacement for the EZII, I would probably have bought it. As it was, I had to guess

And reversing the propshaft isn't as easy as it sounds!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
It should not matter what type of motor you get. The idea is to make it fit.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,683 Posts
Cool, thanks all. I'm more familiar with outrunners, how to work out size/power and I've done eight shaft swaps so far.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post
I also assume that no hardware for the ailerons are included in the kit.
Wrong - all necessary hardware except servos and servo extension cables are included in the kit. See my build log at 7th page of this thread.
Verid is offline Find More Posts by Verid
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verid View Post
Wrong - all necessary hardware except servos and servo extension cables are included in the kit. See my build log at 7th page of this thread.
gone back and read it again, must have read it on my mobile first time round as i don't remember it at all.

Thanks for such an in-depth build log.

W
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Wayne, I just had a search on HK, and the 1400kv (D2826-10) version of mine is back in stock. I think it might be okay with stock prop, and it's reversible if you cut a new retainer for the circlip.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12920

...or even the C2826-1350kv (better W, bit heavy though)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jun 12, 2013 at 07:07 PM.