SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:01 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Discussion
New T7AH-2400 7ch 2.4GHz radio, $29.99 from LeaderHobby?

Anybody heard about this one? The name on the nameplate is "ZD", not sure who they are. It says it is FHSS modulation, which I believe is what the microbricks from Hobby King use, plus (hopefully) other larger receivers.

https://leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001225764

They don't have them in stock, natch, but they say they are taking "preorders" at $29.99.

The description on Leader's site is a wonderful example of pure Chinglish - my guess is it's Chinese that was put through some automated translator like Google Translate or whatever. I really wish they wouldn't do that. But it's somewhat understandable. Even the picture in the ad has Chinglish captions.

Seems to have an LCD display, but the picture doesn't show it actually displaying anything. Hopefully it's not a fake, but at that price who knows.

Hobbyking FHSS microbrick receiver/servos/ESC for really teeny planes like Hobbyzone Champ:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._one_5ch_.html
Do these microbricks work with this transmitter?

Gyroguru pointed out that the manual can be found at: http://www.leaderhobby.com/img/menu/T7AH-2400.pdf

Looking through the manual, I noticed that it is written mostly in real English, not Chinglish. Well, the first few pages are Chinglish, the summaries, how to put in the batteries etc. The next six or seven are an odd mix of Chinglish and real English, some paragraphs of each. Then from about page 10 onward, it's actual, literate English. That's good, since the programming can be very elaborate if you want to use EVERY feature. There's a ton of them.

And as I went thru the details, I found a number of things I liked about this transmitter:

1.) You can put any function on any stick or control. Rudder on either stick, ailerons on either stick. You can even put rudder on a vertical stick, or the elevator on a switch on the case, though why you'd want to do that I don't know. Point is, it is infinitely versatile that way.

2.) If you have a servo on each aileron, you can program flaperons, or elevons (flying wing or delta wing setup), V-tail mixing, etc.

3.) You can mix any control with any other. You can make up-elevator give you a little down flaps too, or advance the throttle and you get a little right rudder (something my Hobbyzone Champ can definitely use), etc. If I'm reading it right, you can mix anything with anything. Actually, my little Hobbyzone Champ, when it is set up to glide perfectly straightforward, if you appy power it tends to swing left AND zoom up to some degree. I wonder if I can program this transmitter so that applying throttle power, also gives it some right rudder AND slight down elevator? So that when I pour on the coal it simply accelerates straight ahead WITHOUT doing its usual turning and zooming?

You can configure it in various ways for helicopter of for fixed-wing planes. Since I don't fly helicopters, I can't even figure out what some of those helicopter configurations in the manual are. (What are "swash mixes"? "Throttle hold for autorotation"?) But they're there.

5.) If you buy two of them, you can set them up as Master and BuddyBox, for training a newbie flyer. And as poster Caseih has pointed out, it's apparently a wireless connection, not with a cable as I had guessed earlier. But it gets better: Apparently this "wireless trainer" mode involves taking the receiver that came with the newbie's transmitter, plugging it into the experienced flyer's transmitter somehow, binding it to the newbie's transmitter, and flying together that way. Manual's a little vague on this (it's in a Chinglish section), but that seems to be the gist.

6.) Dual rates, servo reversing, exponential curves ("Three different throttle curves with five adjustable points per curve"), it's in there. I believe, for all controls.

7.) Two different types of Gyro Sensitivity Adjustments, it says. No, don't ask, I haven't a clue.

8.) Six model memories for fixed wing planes, six more for helicopters, for a total of twelve model memories. And you can name each plane.
(NOTE: In several places in the manual, it says six model memories for each, fixed-wing and helicopter. But on the last page, which goes back into Chinglish, it says 8 and 8. Sounds to me like 6 and 6 gets more votes.)

9.) Says it runs on eight NiMH batteries, I'd guess they are AA's. Receiver is 4.8V to 6V.

10.) Transmitter stick length is adjustable.

11.) Aileron differential, if you have one servo on each aileron (well, actually most ail mixing requires one servo on each aileron). I guess that, when applying aileron, the upgoing aileron moves farther than the downgoing aileron. Some full-size planes do this mechanically, to try to eliminate adverse yaw.

12.) Would you believe, an Automatic Landing Function? No, again don't ask me, I don't know. Something to do with elevator and flap settings, or maybe mixing, once the throttle is lowered past a certain point. (If you ask me, when I'm landing is the LAST place I want my plane's flying characteristics and control response to suddenly change without warning. Well, it's easy to turn off)

13.) The manual mentions a "Wireless simulator function can be used to directly output simulator's signal to computer". And there's a section that shows the receiver (from the aircraft) being plugged into a special cable that, in turn, plugs into a computer's USB outlet. Does this mean you have to disassemble your plane (or heli) to run a simulator on your computer? Seems a little Rube-Goldberg-ish, but what the hey, if it works....

More to come. I probably left out some stuff, sorry. But this is looking better and better to me.

BTW, if you want to buy two of these from Leader Hobby, to train your son to fly... you can't. I tried to pre-order two of them, and got a little red message, "Max one item per order". Hmph. Just means you and your son get to pay full shipping for each, instead of combining shipping. Not cool, Leader. What's the point?
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:06 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
The HobbyKing SuperMicro system only work with their module(Futaba/JR or DSM2 Tx)there is some issues with the servos for it!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1462072
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=469
This Tx doesn't have a removable module and is not DSM2 so it would only work with their Rx unless you are prepared to do some surgery inside. Since it seems to use ppm pulse train it should be possible to replace the original 2.4Ghz RF board with one of the many DIY kits.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:36 PM
Joined May 2005
365 Posts
It looks like a clone of DX7 / JR XP7202.

Here is the manual:

http://www.leaderhobby.com/img/menu/T7AH-2400.pdf

enjoy
Gyroguru is offline Find More Posts by Gyroguru
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:44 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroguru View Post
It looks like a clone of DX7 / JR XP7202.

Here is the manual:

http://www.leaderhobby.com/img/menu/T7AH-2400.pdf

enjoy
Yes it has two sticks and an antenna
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:48 PM
Joined May 2005
365 Posts
FCC stuff:

http://en.xingyaohua.com/info.asp?id=141&pageno=3

http://en.xingyaohua.com/display.asp?keyno=351
Gyroguru is offline Find More Posts by Gyroguru
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:02 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Yes it has two sticks and an antenna
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like a carbon copy of a DX7 to me, only painted black.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:30 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
They don't have them in stock, natch, but they say they are taking "preorders" at $29.99.
Wonder what's the margin profit for HH with their DX7.. AMAZING!

Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:59 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post

Well competition is a wonderful thing. But, lets face it, many of these Chinese companies are building the units for the major brands and I am sure they are "learning" a lot about how to build on their own as well as they get the experience.

Support is typically a completely different issue altogether. As these units come down in price, they become more and more disposable with shorter life cycle (due to lack of support). You may not be able to find a matching receiver in 5 years (but maybe it doesn't matter?)
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:33 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
>It looks like a clone of DX7 / JR XP7202.

Look through the manual closely, you'll notice they call the radio a DX7 in several places. They probably started out with a DX7 manual then changed it around a bit.
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:36 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhanger View Post
>It looks like a clone of DX7 / JR XP7202.

Look through the manual closely, you'll notice they call the radio a DX7 in several places. They probably started out with a DX7 manual then changed it around a bit.
It proves the radio is a complete clone of DX7. They even copied DX7 manual. ha, ha.

But it is so cheap. It will serve as the entry level radio.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Last edited by John Kim; Oct 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:50 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Who is the manufacturer?

Where can you find the manual on line?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:52 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
This price beats Turnigy 9X. Beginners don't need 9 channels.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:01 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
When you click on the link for the recievers they mention flySky....

http://www.leaderhobby.com/download.asp
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:38 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post

China steals this from Horizon (and other stuff from others).

They don't have any of the "hard" stuff like:
  • Research
  • Development
  • Testing
  • FCC certifications
  • Design
  • Advertising
  • Support

They for the most part also use much higher quality components and since they steal it they don't have to pay the engineers and high dollar guys who poor their heart out developing, fixing, testing, changing and other blood, sweat and tears needed to bring a cutting edge product to market.

I assure you non of the guys at Horizon are driving Ferrari's as a result of the sales of DX7's. I am not saying they don't make any money - they do and should. The product CHANGED our entire hobby.

This is a stolen cheap clone. In life you really do get what you pay for.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:19 PM
Joined May 2005
825 Posts
Definitely not cool. Probably what happened is they noticed that although the 9x radios are cheap and popular, they really aren't suitable for beginners. So they took the most popular radio out there and cloned it exactly (I'm guessing they built a look-alike firmware, but who knows at this stage). And to have done that is really unfortunate. All they had to do was take an existing platform like the 9x, and make an easy to use firmware for it that behaved roughly similar to how the JR radio does (similar mixes, etc).

Certainly if it's a clone down to the exact bit-for-bit firmware, then it should be blocked from import. Even if it's not, the fact that a newbie could confuse it for the real thing might be grounds enough. I dunno.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih