Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:38 AM
free bird
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
I find that the Beta style lacks contrast as others have mentioned, particularly the borders which make it less distinguishable between posts and topics, also the light grey shaded background makes me feel a bit cold even in summer!

The Beta style may seem refreshing to an old time RC Grouper but if we look at it from a newcomers perspective they might become drawn to a warmer looking screen!

Here I go again, I hate to be a stick in the mud about the like button it just has no real purpose too much clutter but will leave that topic for the Site Suggestions/ Complaints section.

Good on RCGroups for improving the usability and overall experience for all!

Mike
Mickey D is offline Find More Posts by Mickey D
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:01 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,142 Posts
How About New Features Rather Than Different Look?

I'd like to see "Stickies" for individual threads, not just in forums. I started a thread which has become quite large, and newcomers to the thread ask questions that have been asked MANY times over. I reserved the first 5 posts for things like FAQs, general info, etc., but they soon go out of sight as the thread grows, and newcomers don't see them, even though the thread title says to "Read Post #1-3 Before Asking Questions. "Stickies" would keep this info always in the forefront.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:42 AM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
I agree aswell! seen that many times people might get the wrong impresion if they get ignored.

A warning when somone posts while you are typing would be nice, perhaps a small red light on the bottom of the screen, and a button that takes you to the last unread post rather than the last page.

Mike
Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:20 PM
Mascot
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Apr 1996
140 Posts
Mike, do you see the "View First Unread" link in the blue bar right under the "Post Reply" button?

Is that what you are asking for?

Terry o-[ : ) ]
Terry is offline Find More Posts by Terry
Administrator
Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:33 PM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Thanks Terry! I think I should get glasses or something
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:29 PM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
I'd like to see a link that would take me to "My RCGroups" instead of the list box at the end of a thread. A repetition of the menu bar at the bottom would work too
mamethot is offline Find More Posts by mamethot
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:31 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,703 Posts
My RCGroups is the first entry in the blue menu bar at the top of every page...
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:53 PM
Mascot
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Apr 1996
140 Posts
It's also in the footer as my.rcgroups.com.

Terry
Terry is offline Find More Posts by Terry
Administrator
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:51 PM
3D-wanna-B
Lynchburg, VA
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamethot View Post
I'd like to see a link that would take me to "My RCGroups" instead of the list box at the end of a thread. A repetition of the menu bar at the bottom would work too
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumthinsFishy View Post
My RCGroups is the first entry in the blue menu bar at the top of every page...
Yes, but as I stated earlier in this thread - that's pointless when I finish reading every thread at the bottom of the page and then have to scroll to the top with my mouse wheel or take my hand off the mouse and hit home on my KB. Do that 20 times a day and it gets a little old (aka inefficient from a usability standpoint). As I said, add a TOP button at the bottom. It's a 5 minute template change and solves the problem.
theK2 is offline Find More Posts by theK2
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:55 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theK2 View Post
Yes, but as I stated earlier in this thread - that's pointless when I finish reading every thread at the bottom of the page and then have to scroll to the top with my mouse wheel or take my hand off the mouse and hit home on my KB. Do that 20 times a day and it gets a little old (aka inefficient from a usability standpoint). As I said, add a TOP button at the bottom. It's a 5 minute template change and solves the problem.
Go into your "edit options/display options" settings and have new messages display as "linear - newest first" Then you scroll up to read new messages instead of down, and always end up at the header, not the footer!.

Or as has also been suggested:

1. click with the mouse wheel and move pointer to top of page and bam!, you're at the top with no scrolling with the wheel
2. use the my.rcgroups.com link in the footer.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:56 PM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
Indeed in the footer, never noticed it before. Thanks Terry.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:26 PM
3D-wanna-B
Lynchburg, VA
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
FYI - not than I'm an expert - but I did run a successful Toyota forum for four years (including hosting and organizing 5 national events/meets) before passing over ownership due to lack of time as my career advanced. I rolled out a new design and implemented many changes, both visually and functionality related. The TOP button received a lot of positive feedback and many users said they never realized how much they needed it until it was there.

Why do I tell you this? Don't want you to think I'm just being an outspoken jerk. I'm speaking from some experience and real user feedback - and since I've voiced my opinion twice and RCG is where I come to pursue my hobby, I'll shut up now. : )

Thanks for pointing out the link in the footer. It's better than nothing at this point but still requires a full page scroll from the last post to access it. Like I said, I'm a web designer/developer and small usability oversights probably bother me more than most.

Great work to the RCG team! Keep it up and thanks again for all you do!
theK2 is offline Find More Posts by theK2
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:35 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,483 Posts
Why would you scroll to the top? Sometimes you might want to re-read some stuff, but scroll all the way to the top? So often as to desire a link?

If you're reading RCG on a phone, just hit the back button to get back to wherever it is you're looking to go. If using a computer, press the back button on your mouse. What am I not getting?
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:43 PM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
Hitting the back button will not refresh the list of subscribed threads.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:52 AM
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined May 2010
29 Posts
Hey very cool new look - doesn't look like I am going back in time each time I visit this site anymore. Keep up the good work. I like the fixed width version - that's just my personal preference i guess.
bradleyenator is offline Find More Posts by bradleyenator