HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:49 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,487 Posts
Definitely no fixed width! You make a good point about notable well-designed sites using fixed with (Apple, Ebay, etc.) but for a forum like this I strongly believe that full-width sites like Amazon and Wikipedia are better examples to emulate.

One bug I've found is that pics don't display in the classifieds listings when in "fluid" mode. And yeah, it's all bright and washed-out looking, harder to read somehow.

But seriously, this seems like a lot of work for little gain and much criticism. I'd much rather see you work on increasing the private message capacity problem or the crazy 10 second waiting period between searches. Bump up the PM box to 2000 messages, implement a full box notification, offer automatic deletion of old messages, and allow 2 or 3 chances at searching before getting the 10 second ban. Leave the forum style alone.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
I seem to be missing the contrast in the new versions - text in posts is almost grey and harder on the eyes than the old style - is there some setting I can change to improve the readability? It's not a monitor setting - I have the old version open in another window and it's very distinctly easier to read.

...and I prefer fluid width, but even the 'new' fluid width has 'greyer' text.

Nauga,
and his stark contrast
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:08 PM
USA, CA, livermore
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts
I like the fluid layout, but on the Classified ads, I liked how you could see a picture of what the seller was selling, made it easier to see what I like
hangerpilot is offline Find More Posts by hangerpilot
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:34 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Sep 2010
113 Posts
The thumbnails should be back in the fluid layout.
bkessler is offline Find More Posts by bkessler
Administrator
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:44 PM
3D-wanna-B
Lynchburg, VA
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
Fluid width is all web 1.0.
As a web developer - this comment could not be more incorrect. Especially in this time of feeding internet content to multiple display formats (desktops, mobile and tablets for instance). Using fluid layouts, or even better - responsive web design, is the way to go to ensure that everyone is viewing the content in a way that works for their media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser01 View Post
Hmmm, well the fluid style is just too bright for me.
I have to agree... would still like to see a bit more contrast between the font color and white background. That semi-light gray is going to get a little tough on the eyes after a while.

I would also like to see a "Top of Page" or something similar at the bottom of the thread. All too often I'm at the bottom of a page reading and have to scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll back to the top or hit Home on my KB to go back to My RCGroups for instance. A "Top" button is a quick and easy addition and would resolve this usability "problem." Granted I hate "Top" buttons on most sites but on a forum, where I use the navigation at the top quite often - I do like it. Another good option would be to include your header and primary navigation in one DIV that is absolutely positioned to top:0, position:absolute, z-index:9999 and that way the header and navigation would always be visible with the thread/page content scrolling "behind" it. This could also be filtered by media (since iPad doesn't support absolute position correctly) and by screen resolution so that it's not cumbersome on smaller screens such as netbooks.

On a side - non-developer note - I do like the new style though. It's refreshing and also good to see websites working to make improvements. Kudos and thanks for continuing to support our hobby! RCG+!
theK2 is offline Find More Posts by theK2
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:22 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,720 Posts
Vote here for "Fluid Width".
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:05 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
I don't see any difference between the way the text displays with "fluid width" and the original (W7-64bit and IE9). What am I supposed to see that's different. I DO see the new pages look too bland and less defined without the borders. I may be alone, but the original is easier to read for me. I definitely DON'T like fixed width and DON"T like the change from underlining web links to just making the text blue, which is does not get your attention nearly as much when reading, and a lot harder to spot when scrolling through pages looking for a link. Some people who may be color blind may not even notice the links at all. Please restore the underlining.

For those wanting buttons to go to top/bottom of the page, you can do that with the "Home" and "End" keys, or if you have a wheeled mouse with live clickable wheel, just click on the wheel to set a screen position marker, then move your mouse above or below that mark to scroll in the relative direction. The farther past the mark the pointer goes, the faster the scroll. Mouse to top of window instantly goes to page top, and vice-versa.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 20, 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,855 Posts
Fully Fluid style makes me happy. Thanks!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:20 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
New version with less defined borders will bring on a migraine cant beat the original imo
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:29 AM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
I like the new style. An iPad app coming soon?
mamethot is offline Find More Posts by mamethot
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:44 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I like the new style, can't see any problem with being hard to read either. I didn't try the fixed width style when it was running but both the new versions work well for me, it's good to see the guys at rcg listening to it's members too. I would like to see a go to first unread post button from the thread list or my rcg page, I know there is one in the thread but I feel it would be more use than the go to last post button in the list.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:15 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
Classic still looks better to me !
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Vote for fluid but with contrast of the original.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:47 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake flyer View Post
Classic still looks better to me !
+1
I think the style should be optional to the members so we can choose which style we want to use on our computer.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:08 AM
RCGroups tech support
Joined May 2002
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
What I'd REALLY like to see is a 'view first unread' on the 'main' page vs having to go into a thread and then 'view first unread'.
You could click on this icon next to the thread title: in the classic style, in the new beta style to get to the first unread post in that thread.
Mike Kolesnikov is offline Find More Posts by Mike Kolesnikov
Administrator