HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:53 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Build Log
C-170 in 1:8 Scale

After receiving a suggestion to model the C*$$^@ 170 I did a little research and found that with the exception of the tail section and cowl that the C-170and C-180 were very similar, so I broke out the 180 plans and reworked them into the earlier round tail version.

The wing was unmodified, and only slight mods were needed on the fuselage. The vertical and horizontal tails are new for the 170, and Sparky worked up a new nose bowl for the cowl to bring things up to spec.

The build took 7 days on the bench, and the test flights this morning proved the 170 to be a terrific flyer. But before we get into the flying part, we'll run through the highlights of the build real quick like....
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:58 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
The Tail Section

The outlines for the tail were bowed up first, then the parts framed in the usual fashion. The stabilizers are airfoiled as they were on the full scale 170. Shims were placed under the bowed outlines to center the bows with the spars. Then once the framing was done the airfoil was sanded into the ribs and the hinges added.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:00 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Building the Wings

The wings were buil;t stock from the 180 with no changes needed, and as with the 180, the flaps and ailerons are functional. Once the framing was done, the wings were sanded to shape and the hinges added to complete the flying surfaces.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:03 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Building the Fuselage

The only change made with the fuselage was to eliminate the tail wheel hinging from the frame. When the basic frame was completed, the servos were mounted and the hatch opening trimmed out.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:05 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Fitting the Cowl

The cowl was assempled and trimmed to fit the fuselage, then the holes were aligned and drilled.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Fitting the Tail Section

With the fuselage completed the tail section was taped in place and the rudder pull/pull cables run in. The exit points for the cables we marked on the plans so that finding them after the cover was on would be easy. The elevator pushrod tube went in next to complete the basic control system instalation.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:10 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Building the Lift Struts

The lift struts were shaped from balsa and the wire hooks added. The bottom's were done first, then the actual length of the strut determined directly on the model and the top clips added.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:22 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Prepping for Cover

With all the frames completed, the file folder IP hood and window frames were added and the entire frame given a once over to fix any minor boo-boo's to prep for cover. Then the model was dry fitted one last time, then torn down for cover.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:23 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Covering the Frames

The model was covered with white Microlite and then propped for the trim. Toget the tedious part done first I always start with the small parts, then do the wings and fuselage last.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:28 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Adding the Trim -- Well Most of It anyway....

The black trim on the fuselage was done using Microlite attached with Windex. The black bands on the wing and horizontal tail was done with vinyl sheet from Callie Graphics. The yellow was all done using yellow vinyl.

Then once all the trim was on, the cabin windows and windshield were glued in, followed by the tail section and rigging up the tail controls.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:32 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Final Assembly

The cowl was painted using Model Master enamal's, and while that was drying the rest of the model was completed and a few rudimentary details added. The controls were all hooked up and the radio programmed for what turned out to be just the right control throws -- more on that in a bit.

The 2000 mah 2S Lipo was placed to set up the CG, then the battery and tray mounted in the fuselage to pretty well complete the model.

Then the battery hatch cover was built up and the cowl mounted. The only thing left now is to get the tail number ordered. And with that, it's time to fly!!!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:53 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,942 Posts
Very nice looking hybrid but the fuselage shape looks more 180-ish angular than the 170's more rounded look . Maybe it's my imagination though Maybe it's the wheel pants.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Oct 20, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:53 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Flying the !70

Unfortunately, the forecast this morning was for wind, so when I got up to calm conditions the trip to the field was on the run, so I didn't think to grab a camera on the way out. When I got to the field there was a pretty good breeze up, but it was straight down the runway, so figured there was no better time to get it done.

The first take off was absolutely eventless! The model rolled straight down the runway, lifted off into a shallow climb and flew straight away with no trim required. The Suppo 2217/9 motor on 2, 2000 mah cells with an APC 10-5 prop has more then enough power, but is mild mannered enough that even at full power the model is still real docile, but climbs very well. Cruise is at about 1/2 - 2/3 throttle.

Meanwhile, the controls are gentle to the touch, but very positive, and even with no differential built in, the ailerons exibit no noticeable adverse yaw, The rudder is effective and soft to the touch but more then adequately effective, so even with a bit of input along with the ailerons the model is still extremely mild mannered.

Now that I know it flies, it's time to play with the flaps. With the radio presets at 20 and 40 degrees deflection, the model handles beautifully, and is controlable all the way down to rediculously slow flight. The stall is gentle, but with full flaps, if you push it, it'll drop the left wing fairly sharply, but immediately recovers back to controlled flight.

I also shot a couple dozen touch and go's, and found that the approach with full flaps and a wheel landing is the way to go. The model is not what I would call a floater, but it won't fall out of the air likea water melon either. It's just a good sound solid platform that's very well behaved, and very easy to fly. And that being the case would make an excellant flap trainer for those with no experience flying models with flaps.

Meanwhile, the plans are about 95% complete, and will be finished this week. That being the case, I'll have it all buttoned up and parts ordered, and should be able to start shipping Short Kits at the end of next week. As soon as the plans are done I'll add the kit to the web site and post up a notice here that it's ready to go.

PAT
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:00 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
BTW, now that the 170 is in the lin-up, it might be easy to take the wings and tail from that and work up a new fuselage and add a 1:8 scale L-19 to the list too.....

PAT
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,672 Posts
Hi Pat,

that looks beautiful. I'm loving your models because right up the road a friend of mine has a C-180 and a Piper Colt then a few more miles down the road another friend has a C-170 with the 180hp engine and a constant speed propeller. So, is there a L-19 Bird Dog coming, maybe?

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12