Closed Thread
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:29 AM
If it hovers I fly it.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2010
130 Posts
Discussion
ALZRC 450 Pro Flybarless with 3GYS Flybarless Gyro

Welcome to my build thread for the ALZRC 450 Pro flybarless super combo including the new 3gys flybarless gyro!

I had been looking for a beater to use to practice on as my Logo 600 3d is rather expensive to crash. I decided on a 450 because of the part supply and cost of kits. Being an avid flybarless fan and seeing that ALZRC had just launched a new little gyro I thought it was time to put my beater together.

I purchased the 450 Pro Super combo kit from RC711 for $290. The kit included the 450 pro with flybarless head. 3x 3d Pro metal gear servos. 1x 3d Pro metal gear tail servo. It also included the Motor, Esc, Blades, and the 3GYS. All in all a pretty decent deal for a complete flybarless heli of this calibre.

I also upgraded a few parts. I purchased a carbon boom, metal battery holder, metal canopy holder, metal anti rotation bracket, and metal tail servo holder. I also added a second canopy.

The order was placed on the 14th of October and the shipment arrived the 18th. Super impressive shipping time from HK! Really very fast.

Impressions:

The kit was packaged very well. There were no broken pieces in the delivery. There was however a missing motor and esc issue that is still being resolved with RC711. More on that later. I inspected the parts and was very impressed with the quality of parts sent. The metal parts are all very nicely finished. The upgrade aluminum parts are simply lovely. I was not very keen on the included servos but after watching a few videos about their performance on youtube decided to give them a try. The carbon parts are very nice no scratches or nicks. All in all a very complete kit.

3GYS:

This is a very nice feeling piece. The programming unit is very solid. The gyro itself is over the top though. The quality of the part is pretty hard to explain. First of its milled from solid aluminum so it has some substance behind it and it really feels solid and well put together. Very impressive at first sight.

http://youtu.be/TQphxGLIc0I

Kit:

The kit was complete and in excellent shape. My only minor issue was a front tt gear had some flashing on it that prevented smooth operation.

Brubache is offline Find More Posts by Brubache
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:35 AM
If it hovers I fly it.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2010
130 Posts
Servos:

I had never heard of 3d Pro before and honestly expected junk. I did put each servo on the servo test stage of the 3gys programming box and they worked really really well. Surprise! Lets see how they hold up. On a positive note I used the speed tester in the 3gys unit to confirm their specs and they matched. Surprise again!
My other big thrill was finding that function on the 3gys programming unit. Honestly its a very useful tool now. Not only will it tell u your lipo pack voltages but the testing functions make it more than a box you will simply use once and then store. The speed test part is just a killer feature!

Here is a video from another gent showing his test. He has some flight videos also.

Testing the S410MG and DS9257 3DPro Servos from RC711 (1 min 47 sec)
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:02 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,098 Posts
Great write-up, keep it coming

Your servos look very much like the Hextronic MG-14s http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t%5Fservo.html they are actually longer(taller) than they look in the picture, with the little bulge below the output shaft. I have been using these for the past 18 months on my Cpoterx 450 FBL using a Beastx and have been very happy with them.
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:15 AM
If it hovers I fly it.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2010
130 Posts
Progress:

So I got some more done on the frame. Got the gyro mounted. The servos all in and the receiver in. I also mounted the motor and esc. I was able to route all my wires so that the entire heli is serviceable by removing the right side.

I needed some button head servo screws so purchased some stock Align ones and proceeded to snap two of the heads off. Got them out. To note: I did not strip or snap a single ALZRC provided screw which I found interesting.

So the main frame is done, need to finalize some wiring at the back once setup is done but ya... coming along well. One thing I noted is that the Pro frame is really messed up. I mean... its an unfriendly beast to build. Takes some serious thought on where to put wires and how to put things in, but thats Aligns fault. Anyway hoping to get a spool up and electronics testing done by saturday.

Lastly I noticed in the 3GYS manual that you can run analog servos with the flybarless unit which I found interesting. My Vbars will only run digital.

Posed it a tad showing both sides of my wiring. Also put my extra canopy on just to see how she looks. The camera did not do the canopy justice at ALL!

Last edited by Brubache; Oct 21, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:52 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2009
327 Posts
Great write up (although your kit doesn't qualify as a "beater" in my world! lol! But I quess, compared to a Logo...)
Anyway looking forward to more of your write up!
Cheers!
John
john aeras is offline Find More Posts by john aeras
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:33 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,880 Posts
Pretty cool, I can hardly wait for your maiden flight!Looks like pretty good quality?I was checking parts prices and they seem quite reasonable.I really liked the one piece fbl head and the dual arm tail pitch slider, looked like a good design,I wonder if rc711 would sell one with those installed?
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Last edited by Kauaiguy; Oct 24, 2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Ask?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:04 AM
Lietuva, Kaunas
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
Any updates? Very interesting thread!
P3tras is online now Find More Posts by P3tras
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:34 PM
If it hovers I fly it.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2010
130 Posts
Ok so sorry for the lack of updates! I was travelling on business.

Right now its together however I have some rather crappy issues to resolve.

1) washout base is stripped. Complete garbage.
2) I replaced all gears for the tt from back to front to fix some nasty vibes. That seems to be gone now.
3) my auto gear was badly warped. I replaced the entire assembly with an align one and its just as bad. Oh well

So I now basically have what I need but it will be a fair bit before maiden. I need to get a new wash out base and badly need some tail blades. The stockers are severely out of balance.

Apart from that the frame was super. The aluminum upgrades and carbon all fantastic. Hopefully we get to see it in action soon! Thanks guys.
Last edited by Brubache; Oct 31, 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:25 PM
If it hovers I fly it.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2010
130 Posts
Here are some images!

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/20111031174123.jpg/]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/20111031174230.jpg/][URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/20111031174308.jpg/]
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:33 AM
中国, 广东省, 深圳
Joined Aug 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brubache View Post
Here are some images!

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/20111031174123.jpg/]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/20111031174230.jpg/][URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/20111031174308.jpg/]

I've been to ALZ's factory this July and found they were working on the 3G flybarless system at that time. They build great 450 size helis for export which they never sell in mainland though.
vincent722 is offline Find More Posts by vincent722
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:17 AM
Lietuva, Kaunas
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
Hmm, interesting It seems like Align quality is getting worse and worse. I have tarot 450 PRO and installed align TT gears few days ago. They caused nasty vibrations, I switched back to tarot gears and vibrations were gone. Align gears costs 8$ and tarot ones ~2$. It seems like clones will surpass align in quality soon, unless align will improve their quality...
P.S. It seems like both tarot and alzrc flybarless systems are better than align 3gx, but costs much less
P3tras is online now Find More Posts by P3tras
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:01 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3tras View Post
Hmm, interesting It seems like Align quality is getting worse and worse. I have tarot 450 PRO and installed align TT gears few days ago. They caused nasty vibrations, I switched back to tarot gears and vibrations were gone. Align gears costs 8$ and tarot ones ~2$. It seems like clones will surpass align in quality soon, unless align will improve their quality...
P.S. It seems like both tarot and alzrc flybarless systems are better than align 3gx, but costs much less

Thats interesting P3tras, I brought up the same issue in a differant thread. Align quality control is definatly lacking. It will be interesting to see what becomes of it.
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:12 AM
中国, 广东省, 深圳
Joined Aug 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3tras View Post
Align 3gx is the worst among those flybarless sysems,just like the 100s is worst among the same size helis
vincent722 is offline Find More Posts by vincent722
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:28 AM
If it hovers I fly it.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2010
130 Posts
So more progress. I was unhappy with the messed up swash driver so decided to add the KDE all in one unit and go with some KBDD tail blades. I also added an align metal pitch lever etc. All in all made pretty decent progress.

Took the old head apart and no grease in the bearings at all. Head was put together with lock tight though. I also changed to the green True Blood dampners. I also fashioned a carbon tail rod rather than the nasty metal one. Looks good and works very well! No bending

Also got the kinks worked out in my final setup of the gyro and with a set of proper main blades I think we are ready for a maiden. I also am breaking in my Gens Ace 2200 3s packs for this now.

More to follow!

Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:47 PM
If it hovers I fly it.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2010
130 Posts
Hover Success!

So got some blades on it today and so headed into the back yard for a test hover. Wow it was very drama free... very surprising. I had a lazy tail in rate mode.. who cares but in idle up it was absolutely great. I needed to turn down the 3gys pitch and roll gains some to even out a small wobble but after that.. perfect hover hands off first pack. Very nice.

I am ever more sold on the programmer. Being able to quickly change settings vs dragging the laptop out is a total bonus! Allows for very fast changes and very fast tuning. Very kool.

Tommorrow weather permitting will be test flights! Pics to follow. So far I can heartily say I am HIGHLY impressed with the gyro. This from a guy that til now only flies Vbar on his logo so hopefully that gives some perspective.

Report back after proper flights but so far very pleased!
Closed Thread