HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:43 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Discussion
Horizon Hobbies AS3X

Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I looked but didn't see an existing thread.

What is everyone's thoughts on the Horizon Hobbies AS3X technology? It appears to me to be a 3 axis gyro stabilization system. I've thought of doing this with heli gyros on the aileron and rudder axis of my scratch built foamy but couldn't figure out how to get it to work on the elevator axis. The last thing I'd want is to stall and have the gyro try and keep the nose high. Any idea how/if the AS3X overcomes this?
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:44 AM
Joined Jun 2008
702 Posts
I just watched the video and gotta say I'm really looking forward to this. Especially with the beast and Gee Bee. If it acts like they are saying, it will be a big improvement on some of these UM planes.
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:49 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
Way to cool. This opens up for almost anything to be built as a micro and be stable enough to fly. This is another milestone for the hobby, atleast the micro side of the hobby.
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:00 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Here is some info I posted on another (heli) forum, so I apologise if it is a touch out of context... but I thought you guys may appreciate the perspective... Hope you do... Best Regards,
David

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, look, I am not a marketing guy, and I don't decide what to do with that effort. From my point of view, it was fun to watch something get hyped up, and get attention for all the cool stuff we have been working on.
Did I expect some negative folks to come on after the build up... of course. It is the internet, and it is inevitable!! No surprise there.

As you can see as the web pages update... The hype is really about AS3X coming to aircraft... and one had to be picked to be the focal point IMO, so the VTOL would be a good choice... But is about all three of the initial product, showing 3 capabilities of AS3X
-Take a 3D VTOL plane that would be very unstable, and extremely hard to succeed with for all but the worlds top pilots and make it fun and approachable for everyone. the Hyper Taxi
-Take a known aerobatic plane that flies very well, but shows the limits of scale aerobatics, wing loading, etc, and make it do aerobatics better... AND add in 3D as it never could before even with the best pilots! (the Beast)
-Take a scale racer that is stubby and known to be a handful, but still an appealing plane, and make it fly beautifilly and gracefully. The Gee Bee

Look at the big picture, and try AS3X before you conclude it is over hyped.... I will say, it IS a big deal!

Hyper Taxi:
Keep in mind, it is like nothing before it, No one has offered a BNF (convenient) Ultra Micro VTOL aircraft that comes out of the box with a fully programmed and very carefully tuned flight control system that lets a basic DX4e Tx fly a very sophisiticated aircraft
You won't get it until you fly it. We had some VERY high end (outside HH) pilots, as well as some very average pilots fly the new products just last last friday. They all were blown away. It is not 'just a gyro'. There is a lot of cool software and tuning going on. It is also light, simple, and easy to use. Try it before you draw a conclusion!

Now the AR7200BX and B450 X... for this crowd... they ROCK!!! Wow, what performance, what value... state of the art Beast X technology, high end DSMX, Clean simple light install.... 440 motor and great carbon blades out of the box... It is sweet.

The mSR X, Really a ton of fun, and very different than the mSR. Very stabile in hover, but NO coax type return to hover. Go where you point it FBL feel (very similar to MCP X in normal flight due to AS3X). Great power and speed. Very durable.

New Beast biplane and Gee Bee fly unbelievable with AS3X... It is really a new day. Transparent to the user, just flies like a big very well tuned aircraft.

Have Fun,
David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:14 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
The 3D Beast and Gee Bee look awesome. Are we going to see this technology in the park flyer size planes?
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:21 PM
United States, CA, Glendora
Joined Oct 2004
152 Posts
The new mSRx looks to have a lot of potential. It just might be all that and a bag of chips, as they say. It may well set the standard for affordable FP helis - I sure hope so
PowerPlay is offline Find More Posts by PowerPlay
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:46 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
I'd assume we'll see this move in to the Parkzone line of 1s aircraft as well. I think it's a VERY interesting, dare I say obvious concept to gyro-stabilize a UM size aircraft. The "software" piece is a funny tease. I'm still curious if the planes try to maintain a nose-high attitude in a stall and if they don't how this is overcome. The obvious answer would be an AOA sensor but at this price/size I doubt it.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:46 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
Here is some info I posted on another (heli) forum, so I apologise if it is a touch out of context... but I thought you guys may appreciate the perspective... Hope you do... Best Regards,
David

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, look, I am not a marketing guy, and I don't decide what to do with that effort. From my point of view, it was fun to watch something get hyped up, and get attention for all the cool stuff we have been working on.
Did I expect some negative folks to come on after the build up... of course. It is the internet, and it is inevitable!! No surprise there.

As you can see as the web pages update... The hype is really about AS3X coming to aircraft... and one had to be picked to be the focal point IMO, so the VTOL would be a good choice... But is about all three of the initial product, showing 3 capabilities of AS3X
-Take a 3D VTOL plane that would be very unstable, and extremely hard to succeed with for all but the worlds top pilots and make it fun and approachable for everyone. the Hyper Taxi
-Take a known aerobatic plane that flies very well, but shows the limits of scale aerobatics, wing loading, etc, and make it do aerobatics better... AND add in 3D as it never could before even with the best pilots! (the Beast)
-Take a scale racer that is stubby and known to be a handful, but still an appealing plane, and make it fly beautifilly and gracefully. The Gee Bee

Look at the big picture, and try AS3X before you conclude it is over hyped.... I will say, it IS a big deal!

Hyper Taxi:
Keep in mind, it is like nothing before it, No one has offered a BNF (convenient) Ultra Micro VTOL aircraft that comes out of the box with a fully programmed and very carefully tuned flight control system that lets a basic DX4e Tx fly a very sophisiticated aircraft
You won't get it until you fly it. We had some VERY high end (outside HH) pilots, as well as some very average pilots fly the new products just last last friday. They all were blown away. It is not 'just a gyro'. There is a lot of cool software and tuning going on. It is also light, simple, and easy to use. Try it before you draw a conclusion!

Now the AR7200BX and B450 X... for this crowd... they ROCK!!! Wow, what performance, what value... state of the art Beast X technology, high end DSMX, Clean simple light install.... 440 motor and great carbon blades out of the box... It is sweet.

The mSR X, Really a ton of fun, and very different than the mSR. Very stabile in hover, but NO coax type return to hover. Go where you point it FBL feel (very similar to MCP X in normal flight due to AS3X). Great power and speed. Very durable.

New Beast biplane and Gee Bee fly unbelievable with AS3X... It is really a new day. Transparent to the user, just flies like a big very well tuned aircraft.

Have Fun,
David
I admit at first I was a little disappointed in the whole hyper taxi thing, but then once I got over that I realized that now we have a UM sized 2S brushless brick with a built-in 3-axis gyro! This opens up a ton of possibilities for new aircraft that aren't inherently stable! (Could the first UMX EDF be a B2 Stealth bomber?) Also, if the video gear is small/light enough, this could have opened the door to stable UM FPV! The new Beast and GeeBee look great too!

Also interested to see how the mSR X works out!

Another thing that just popped into my head: would this brick not allow you to make say a 120 sized 2S brushless FBL heli with a shaft driven variable pitch tail?
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Last edited by Firehawk989; Oct 20, 2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Extra Thought
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:47 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
It's exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about a year ago,As a programmer I was wondering when someone was going to show up, trow a mems gyro and some awesome software together and make this awesome mix, however I do have one question....

Hyper Taxi?! Now the plane is fine, the theme I just can't take seriously I was imagining you made something like this....but the paint job is a bit funny, did you do it for visibility? I would not mind an anti-Taxi Hyper Taxi, with a style much like that you would see in a blade chopper, sharp lines, Red or blue theme (maybe both?) and a edgy feel. Someday maybe?
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:28 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,347 Posts
I am just concerned on servo failures due to the demand from them with the new gyro. The planes will be using them a lot more for corrections, and will put more strain, and also less flight time. We will see!

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:31 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I am just concerned on servo failures due to the demand from them with the new gyro. The planes will be using them a lot more for corrections, and will put more strain, and also less flight time. We will see!

J
new servos, Dave Eichstedt confirmed this in another thread. The only downside is the slightly increased current draw from the gyros and servos constantly moving.
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:35 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Can I have one to test? I want to see just how effective the 3 axis gyro really is.
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:27 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,788 Posts
I think the Beast 3D is gona be awesome, i didn't get one because i'm not interested in it if i cant make it hover. But this sure looks like a winner. BUT PUT IT IN PARKFLYERS! I want a mini beast, say 1000mm-1200mm size Z-foam beast! or even an E-balsa in that size with this technology and i will snap it up!
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:44 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
New servos? Are they the type from the MCPx or another type altogether?
Cheesehead is online now Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:58 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,071 Posts
whats more interesting is the technology behind the name.
Thats a gyro+accel to keep em stable I suppose. Probably similar to whats in the mcpx but tuned. I haven't seen the explanation somewhere yet so, excuse my noobiness if its been told ;p
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp