HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:17 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,770 Posts
I dunno, dankar04. The FBL birds are high performance compared to flybarred ones. Do you want to risk your hard work on a fuselage with a more aggressive heli? Not saying it's a bad idea, but from my personal experience....

My 9958 and V911 custom scale bodies are great fun and I don't crash them ever since I do take it a little easy.

I recently got a HeliMax FP 100 MD530 scale heli and while I was working out the kinks with my DX6i and the AnyLink system, I crashed it and busted up a few pieces. It's a lot easier to fix a pod & boom than a scale body. But that's just my opinion.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:39 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Right now the MSR-X is favorite 4 ch FBL heli. Hard to ignore Walkrea Super F/P and getting use to it. Beautiful made heli and has a long tail moment. Both are fine grade helis and dig them both. I see recent developement of Scale heli bodies and may do a couple using fbl birds ?
I've been thinking the MSRx would be good for a scale heli body. It is really easy to fly in a scale way if you take it easy. Can go slow and steady very smoothly and land on a dime. Have been thinking how cool it would be to have a scale body on mine.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:13 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Now that I've got my MSRx down pretty well, I'd love to see a full scale body for it. It really is a great indoor (and outdoor) heli!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Heh, everytime I feel I have mastered the msrx, i start flying it more wildly and find new ways to crash. I should try changing to the long swash balls
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:59 PM
Up, up & away...
USA, CA, Orinda
Joined Nov 2005
265 Posts
Selling my msr x and msr

I'm selling an msr x and an msr, both back from HH fine tuning, since I was not happy with their performance. I have a Nano CPX now which is more to my liking.

I apologize if I shouldn't have posted here. I know some of you love the msr x (and maybe the msr), so I thought I'd sell to fans.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1811782
eflyingman is offline Find More Posts by eflyingman
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:40 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Is this heli rtf worth buying or skip it and get a micro cp rtf like the walkera super FP.
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:19 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
Is this heli rtf worth buying or skip it and get a micro cp rtf like the walkera super FP.
This is a very difficult question to answer because it depends a lot on your preferences and what you want to get out of the hobby. Are you looking to have a variety of helis in your collection so that you have a lot of different kinds of models to fly? Are you looking to go to a micro CP and stay there and are looking for a trainer that's part-way there?

For me, I am really glad I got this heli because I can fly it indoors pretty well and I can take it outdoors and fly it in windy conditions that my flybarred helis do NOT fly in. It's a lot easier to fly than my Micro CP Blade Nano helis and so it's kind of the right "sweet" spot for my skill level as a helicopter pilot.

However, if you want to go straight to the CP helis and stay there then you should just get the CP heli that you want and work hard to learn it. If you're just using the FP MSRX as a trainer and will discard it afterwards then it's not worth your time, IMHO.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:07 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,169 Posts
I am sport flyer and fly alot. Every day at least fly four to eight birds. I am new to 6ch/ FBL 4ch. I find MSR-X to be a good flyer and enjoy flying it. Flying 3D is not for me. Helis/Quads and other models is my thing. I hope to be able to do some mild stunts but no rush. Quads / MSR-X/Super F/P will be impotant tools for learing. Plus a greatr sim G/P 6.0 sim. The Blade MSR/<MSR-X/Walkrea Super F/P rock !! Now I have to make friends with Walkrea Genius c/p and my Mcp-x/ Master c/p.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,770 Posts
Dankar, its hard to keep up with you! Gotta start saving my pennies. I don't have any Walkera birds.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:27 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
Impossible to answer with the (lack of) info you gave us.

What flying experience do you have? (what other heli's)

Are you on a tight budget? (you will break lots less parts on this than a CP)

how big is your flying area?
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:07 AM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
After just under a week of flying just about 20-40 mins a day I can hover over a clip board and stay about 8 inches off the ground for a whole battery. I am now moving on to trying to land on the corner of my 8x4 rug and take off and move to the next corner, turning back to forward if necessary.

I have no previous Heli experience so I'm taking it slow. I am completely amazed by this little model. I'm flying the RTF version.

I've been reading this thread through and I can say it got a little tough going around the 200 post mark with people complaining about the model, but if you are like me just wanting a dabble to see if you like it I would certainly recommend it.
Andrew u.k. is offline Find More Posts by Andrew u.k.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:24 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,770 Posts
Hi and welcome to the mSRX thread, Andrew u.k.!

I'm glad you're taking the systematic approach to learning this heli. It has a lot to each you about watching the attitude (pitch and roll) and learning to quickly anticipate and compensate with the cyclic (elev/aile) controls. You'll be a better pilot for it and will be able to move onto micro collective pitch helis like the Nano or mCPX even easier. I also love taking the MSRX outdoors and flying it around at a local park. It cuts the wind really well and is my favorite one to fly. I've got the most flights on my MSRXs than any of the other helis I own because of it.

Yes, this thread is hard on the eyes as you say, but stick with it. It gets better. All of the people who complained outright about this heli seem to have gone away and the only folks left are those who really appreciate it. The problem seems to be that there is a significant learning curve to this heli if you're coming up from a coaxial or a flybarred FP heli (e.g. MSR or Solo Pro) and the people who were doing all the complaining were those who had NOT flown collective pitch birds before!

My problem with this thread is that I feel that there is a lot of disinformation that is spread through all of the RCG community and I keep hearing people badmouth the MSRX in other threads. Quite often these people are just parroting what others were complaining about here and those who were repeating those complaints had never actually flown the MSRX in the first place! That's extremely unfair if you ask me... I held off on judgement until I learned to fly the mSRX. And I mean really learned to fly it. I crashed it for two weeks and then it started to "click" as to what I was supposed to do to keep the cyclic under control while I flew. It made me a better pilot and I was able to move up to the Nano and start flying that a whole heck of a lot faster than if I had gone from MSR to Nano directly.

One of the big complaints that I keep hearing people talk about was that the mCPXv2, which has the AS3X flybarless system like the MSRX, didn't have the same kinds of rotational issues that the MSRX supposedly had. Well, guess what. The MCPX is a different bird. It's bigger, it's collective pitch, and it's got a much higher head speed! Now, I don't have a mCPX yet (one will be here soon though) and so I could never actually try it myself. However, I do have a Nano. Guess what. The Nano exhibits a lot of the same issues when doing piros and I have to control the cyclic to keep it going the right way in the same way that the MSRX did! So I'm guessing that its more to do with the size of the heli than anything else.

Also, I recently got a Hobbico Axe 100 FP and the MD530 FP. These are also flybarless fixed-pitch helis and they're NOT from Blade. Guess what. They do VERY similar things when I piro them and when I do left and right circuits! You STILL have to closely monitor and mix your cyclic inputs when turning. Imagine that!

The AS3X does NOT have piro compensation capabilities. More expensive systems like the BeastX, which you get on the 300X, apparently do. The MSR (the flybarred one) compensates for doing piros by automatically mixing the elevator and aileron servos while you do it! So yeah...I can see why those coming up from the MSR had such a hard time with it. It's just a shame that this seems to have "poisoned the well".

At least those of us who stuck with this heli know better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:19 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,169 Posts
I found to my surprise the MSR-X is very pleasant heli to fly. Most impressed with it and glad I have one. The MSR is a nice bird also. Yes you pay more and R&D are reason plus you get Hobby grade item.
RoboHeli....> Walkrea rocks plain and simple. Those who dislike them who cares ?? I like MSR-X big time but it takes a back seat to Super F/P by Walkrea. I repete and make this known Blade/ Spectrum stuff I dig and have not a bad word to say about them. Honorable mention is WL Toys and even
Solo-pro. Not to aslo mention T9X Turnigy radio.
With Walkrea Devo 7 TX/ DX6i/ T9x gives me alot of room to fly many different birds. Plus J6-
pro S/P radio/J4.
Anybody who wants a quality great flying FBL 4ch F/P Blade MSR-X is wonderful. I fly MSR/ MSR-X/MQX/ Mcp-x with DX5e/ DX6i. Wonderous !!
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,770 Posts
I've heard good things about the super F/P but it's tricky to keep up with the different product numbers and variants! Aren't there two fbl F/P helis in their product line that art pretty similar?

Don't they also have a Super CP mini now that's pretty good a well? Their Ladybird micro quad is still considered by some to the best 6-axis performer as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:12 AM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
I think my servos are getting a little dirty as they are twitching. What is the best way to clean these?

Edit:
I was getting lazy, here's a good link.

http://www.rclab.info/2012/04/mcp-x-...ur-servos.html
Andrew u.k. is offline Find More Posts by Andrew u.k.
Last edited by Andrew u.k.; Feb 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM.