SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:41 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
You can buy just the main gear for the linear servos on our micros. Don't know about the pinion for sure but usually its the main gear that gets messed up. I don't remember what site I bought them from but I am pretty sure it was a micro heli website that had them.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:39 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,923 Posts
I just got my MSR working right after having it for couple weeks. I got it used and it sat for a year and was a little stiff. Also I did not have battery in all the way and makes a big difference. Serviced heli and ran couple of batteries and she came alive. Today I recieves a MSR-X on a trade. Its new bnf and did not know what to expect. Result one darn good flying heli. Wow very nice indeed !!. DX5e set on low rates and up she went. Very nice agile flyer.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
yep, love the MSRx, smooth flyer and so much more capable than the MSR, but the MSR was a great stepping stone for me to get to the x, and now the nano cpx. Before the MSR I only flew a couple of airhogs 2 ch coaxes. Even the base MSR was quite challenging at first and I'm glad it couldn't go as fast as the MSRx.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:46 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,923 Posts
When I first fired up MSR-X and seen movement on servos I knew I had some fun coming up. Hit lower rates and up she went. Very stable but its quick. My MSR gave me fits as I fly all the time. Then I checked and battery was only half way in. Plus using 150ma tp boot. Made all difference and flys quite well. This is a very nice FBL mico heli no doubt. Blade stuff is more expensive but support and parts are very easy to get. My local hardware store carries stock, or gets my stuff in two days. I like Walkrea fine but getting parts takes online in several different vendors.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:42 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Yeah I'm kinda afraid to try Walkera or the other online only brands because of parts support and possible chinglish directions. Maybe one day when I have this heli stuff totally figured out..
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:01 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,923 Posts
One thing that adds to joy of these is fact just bought some extra batteries. MSR/ MSR-X/ and two 9958's use same battery. Blade/ Spectrum no doubt have good items. Walkrea has some pretty nice stuff also. I like them both and enjoy flying all my birds. WL toys in there also, plus a few others. I keep door open to all thats available. Sometimes wait is a pain but you get the goods before you know it. Tomorrow will be Blade day for me. MSR/MSR-X/MQX, and just got Mcp-x dialed in. Take my Hoten-X, and couple Ladybird V1's also.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:22 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
What are some other flybarless fb heli out there.
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:10 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,923 Posts
Walkrea has Super F/P/ Genius F/P V200D01/ V200D02. Another one that might be available in some places is V100D01 BL. The last one has twin Brushless motors but older Walkrea bird.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
I've been going back and forth between flying the MSRx and Nano cpx a lot now, its weird. The MSRx feels like a balloon in comparison. It hovers in place hands off easily, and requires totally different throttle management than the nano. After flying the nano i usually hit the ceiling first time i fly the MSRx cause I forget how much lift it has and how delayed the reaction is on throttle compared to the instantaneous up down motion the nano can do because of CP. The MSRx though I can fly fast circuits in a rectangle about 10*8 feet, can't with the nano (yet anyway). Its just too fast.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:22 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,715 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you're having the same experiences as me, seeingeyegod. I'm flying my Nano in slow circuits and figure-8s indoors but that's about it right now. I did have a chance this fall to put some flights on the Nano outdoors but there, too, it was crazy fast. The MSRX is the perfect balance of challenge and familiarity for my skill level right now. It's my go-to heli right now when I want a good fun flight. The Nano is for expanding my skills (or at least trying to!)
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:54 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
I've been going back and forth between flying the MSRx and Nano cpx a lot now, its weird. The MSRx feels like a balloon in comparison. It hovers in place hands off easily, and requires totally different throttle management than the nano. After flying the nano i usually hit the ceiling first time i fly the MSRx cause I forget how much lift it has and how delayed the reaction is on throttle compared to the instantaneous up down motion the nano can do because of CP. The MSRx though I can fly fast circuits in a rectangle about 10*8 feet, can't with the nano (yet anyway). Its just too fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Yeah, sounds like you're having the same experiences as me, seeingeyegod. I'm flying my Nano in slow circuits and figure-8s indoors but that's about it right now. I did have a chance this fall to put some flights on the Nano outdoors but there, too, it was crazy fast. The MSRX is the perfect balance of challenge and familiarity for my skill level right now. It's my go-to heli right now when I want a good fun flight. The Nano is for expanding my skills (or at least trying to!)

Completely agree. I'm having exactly the same experience. 3 months ago, flying the MSRx inside was a dicey proposition for me and my circuits were slow, methodical, careful, and 75% successful. Now, my MSRX SCREAMS around my living room, dodging columns, dangling light fixtures, swatting wives, etc. In fact, I now far more enjoy flying my MSRx inside than outside. Meanwhile, my Nano is still a handful inside, but is my go-to bird outside.

Unfortunately, both are currently down for maintenance - new board for the Nano (BTW, if you ever need a board fixed/replaced, check out megasmicros before you buy a new one), and my MSRx needs a new tail motor, new main motor, and a new blade set (let a friend try to fly it, just to be cruel).
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:28 AM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
Just bought the MSR X on a whim after having a go with a colleagues helicopter which had a horizontal rear prop. This made it go forward and back. It got me thinking. After a bit of research on RC Groups here I am.
I haven't been flying for two or three years and one of my last purchases was the micro mustang when they first came out. I am absolutely amazed how the technology has come on. The last heli thing I had seen was the Pico Z.

I have the stock RTF version. I set up on the low rates, powered up and took off. 1 battery later I've had several good hovers and have even tried turning with the rudder. All I can say is I'm amazed!

Subscribed to the thread.
Andrew u.k. is offline Find More Posts by Andrew u.k.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:53 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa38 View Post
I don't think all the radio manufacturers are all standardized on +or- exponential.
You are right.

JR/Spektrum and airtronics use + expo to make the sticks less sensitive around center.

Futaba and hitec use - expo make the sticks less sensitive around center.

(It kinda made more sense when everything was 72Mhz, because futaba and hitec were negative shift, while JR and airtronics were positive shift, so you knew to use your radios "shift direction" to make the sticks more mellow around center Of course, they cant change now to standardize it without adding even more confusion to the mix)

Anyway, this has definitely messed up many a newb.... Myself included!! Back when I first started flying planes in the 72Mhz dark ages, I used a hitec computer radio, but the person helping me set it up used a JR, so I was advised to put in +35% expo to start out (which would indeed make the sticks more mellow around center in a JR radio, but made them more sensitive around center on my hitec radio).
Being a complete newb with no one to test fly my planes, I was clueless that it was a problem, and just learned to fly with tiny stick movements .
The problem came to light when I got my brother into flying, we built identical planes (he using a non-computer radio), and then one day decided to trade transmitters, while in the air.... It was almost comical, suddenly we both exclaimed opposing sentences "Holy crap, your plane is so sensitive/Holy crap your plane doesn't respond!" A quick trade back and a trip to the forums had me relearning how to fly without a super sensitive stick center... lol....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:28 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,715 Posts
Hi, Andrew! Welcome to the mSR X club. When you get a chance, take your bird outdoors at a park sometime (make sure there's nobody around where you're flying...) and really open it up! It's a challenge indoors but an absolute blast outdoors. Enjoy!

decaur, this is really interesting. I'm a Spektrum and Turnigy/er9x guy and it always boggled me when I saw directions for things like the AnyLink transmitter say that other transmitters need negative expo to tame the helis down. That explains a lot!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:03 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,923 Posts
Right now the MSR-X is favorite 4 ch FBL heli. Hard to ignore Walkrea Super F/P and getting use to it. Beautiful made heli and has a long tail moment. Both are fine grade helis and dig them both. I see recent developement of Scale heli bodies and may do a couple using fbl birds ?