HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:36 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powdermnky007 View Post
Good thread. I was about to toss my MSR X that I got for christmas this year until I found someone mention having your transmitter set in Acro mode. That helped ALOT!!!!!

I didn't read this entire thread, but I read about 50 pages. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere and just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on it. I found this in the manual.

Installing the Flight Battery
1. Lower the throttle to the lowest setting.
2. Power on the transmitter.
3. Install the battery in the helicopter by sliding it into the battery mounting supports/slots just below the main
gears. Slide the battery into the slots with the label facing downward and the connector oriented toward the
back of the helicopter.
4. Connect the battery cable to the 4-in-1 control unit.
NOTICE: Do not allow the helicopter to move until the blue LED on the 4-in-1 control unit is solid.

The part I'm curious about is the notice. And yes, the notice is in bold in the manual, so I think it's pretty important. Maybe that's the Gyros 'calibrating' for lack of a better word. Your thoughts?
That was bad advice. If you are using a DX6i or DX7 or DX7s or DX8 or DX10 or DX18
You should have it in "HELI" mode "1 SERVO NORMAL" That will get your throttle curve settings, and you should learn to use them. You will not use any of the pitch curve settings.
When connecting the battery, lay the mSRX on its side on a table, connect the battery without touching the heli, when the light turns solid pick it up put the battery in the holder, put the heli down on its skids and fly.
The gyro does not care what orientation it is in when it when the "initializes". It just needs to remain "still" until it completes it initializing process.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:32 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,765 Posts
FWIW, I've never flown any of my helis in ACRO mode. Not even my little MCX coaxials. Now, that meant that I had to set up my GYRO switch appropriately for the low/high rates on my MCX2 and MSR, but to be honest, I much prefer having access to the throttle curve. Since the MSRX doesn't use the GYRO channel (AFAIK) I just leave it set to 100% and go with it.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
My servos both started locking all the way down today. This has never happened to me before so want to make sure I go about this right. I got them unstuck once but they locked right back up. I was trying to get them unstuck again and noticed they were hot and the board was hot. I unplugged to let everything cool off (don't want to fry a board). My next step is going to be to take the servos off and inspect for debris and maybe clean the strip underneath with rubbing alcohol. I did have a little jitter starting in the servo but it wasn't frequent and didn't affect flight so I ignored it.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
My servos both started locking all the way down today. This has never happened to me before so want to make sure I go about this right. I got them unstuck once but they locked right back up. I was trying to get them unstuck again and noticed they were hot and the board was hot. I unplugged to let everything cool off (don't want to fry a board). My next step is going to be to take the servos off and inspect for debris and maybe clean the strip underneath with rubbing alcohol. I did have a little jitter starting in the servo but it wasn't frequent and didn't affect flight so I ignored it.
Mine started doing this sporadically and i finally chalked it up to a bad board. Sometimes I will get a flight in, other times the servos will lock at full throw after a minute.. I finally noticed that when I plug the battery in, if I touch the board in a certain way, the servos will freak out.. Pretty sure it is a micro-short circuit somewhere.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:57 PM
ARMY ATC (93C)
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jan 2005
1,114 Posts
Now that more helis are out, would you suggest the msrx over cx2, or go with nano cxp now? I've done the cx and cx2 no problem. Advanced airplanes, and have once tried an eflite 300 Collective (but forget how it all works). Bored with CX2, but dont' have time/desire/money to learn/fix a large heli. Nano looks fun and durable, but thinking I should take one more baby step (msrx FP) before going CP like the nano?
mjbennett9 is offline Find More Posts by mjbennett9
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:03 PM
ARMY ATC (93C)
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jan 2005
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancraig10 View Post
Hi,

I went quiet. Thought it wasn't worth sitting here chatting with people who were talking down to me!!

I'm glad you stuck with the MSRx. It's really worth the effort and not as difficult as people make out. Judging by what I saw on videos, people were using the sticks too enthusiastically and literally throwing it in the air and then trying to recover. When it became difficult to recover, they announced it a 'flawed' heli.

Tiny movements, close observation and a little bit of intelligence gets it flying beautifully and the funny thing is - I can still fly the bigger ones in spite of learning how to fly the MSRx!!

I think one of its advantages is that you actually have to learn how to fly it and it is, as you say, less influenced by wind outside than the original MSR. Great training for outdoor flying.

I now wait for a little bit of wind to take it out since it sharpens my reactions. Up to a point, the windier it goes, the better training for you as a heli flyer. I even fly it at long distance now, to the point of just being able to see it!! It's a hilarious little heli and I really like it a lot.

If you've learned this one and can actually control and hold it, then the step to a Nano or MCPx is just a little easier. Or even a bigger one which will be even easier to hold if you can get over the size issue and the speed of the rotors. The bigger ones are a bit less prone to wander all over the place by comparison.

They are indeed, great trainers.
I think you just answered my previous post. mcx to mcx2 to ?? I was thinking nano as I heard it was durable. However, I also heard it was hard to fly from a newbie FP flyer and that the main motors die after 20 flights). I was thinking msr or 120sr, etc. But now thinking msrx is a must prior to going to a nano? My rationale was the nano is only $30 more than a msrx. But maybe my thinking should be $30 more for a bird that I won't be able to fly ;-)

Is the msrx crash friendly?
easy to repair like the Mcx2?
Also, the thing I didn't like about the cx is that if a servo goes bad, you had to replace the whole 5in1 unit. I did hear, but not sure if true, that you can replace the servos in the nano (much cheaper option than whole unit).
Lastly, I had some eflite non-coax a while back and remember the tail motor always failing. Not sure if msrx or nano would be better in taht area either.
mjbennett9 is offline Find More Posts by mjbennett9
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Didn't they re-release the original MSR? I'd say from a CX2 you should get an MSR before a nano. MSR is more durable than the MSRX and much more docile than it or the nano, but still feels fast and agile compared to a coax.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,765 Posts
I went from MCX2 to MSR to MSRX to Nano. I'm really glad that I did.

IMHO, first going to the MSR is really an important step up from the MCX2. Then of course you can get sidelined by all of the other wonderful (and inexpensive) flybarred FP helis out there like the V911 and 9958. There's also the Solo Pro series that people rave about as well.

The MSRX is for when you've got a good handle on flying a fixed pitch heli. That is when feeling comfortable with mixing your cyclic and rudder to do banked turns and such. At least that's what worked well for me.

You could go directly to the nano, but the learning curve is going to be STEEP and you'll likely suffer a lot of crashes with it. Going directly to the MSRX is not quite as steep but it's still pretty steep. I spent two weeks in frustration with my MSRX after the MSR trying to learn how to get good at mixing my cyclic controls for slow precision indoor circuits and piros. If I didn't have the MSR experience first, I might not have continued with the MSRX...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post

IMHO, first going to the MSR is really an important step up from the MCX2. Then of course you can get sidelined by all of the other wonderful (and inexpensive) flybarred FP helis out there like the V911 and 9958. There's also the Solo Pro series that people rave about as well.

The MSRX is for when you've got a good handle on flying a fixed pitch heli. That is when feeling comfortable with mixing your cyclic and rudder to do banked turns and such. At least that's what worked well for me.

You could go directly to the nano, but the learning curve is going to be STEEP and you'll likely suffer a lot of crashes with it. Going directly to the MSRX is not quite as steep but it's still pretty steep. I spent two weeks in frustration with my MSRX after the MSR trying to learn how to get good at mixing my cyclic controls for slow precision indoor circuits and piros. If I didn't have the MSR experience first, I might not have continued with the MSRX...
Same here, same progression except I never had a CX anything. Went from planks and air hogs heli experience to MSR and it was too much for me at first but now is like a super docile toy that I can throw around without worrying at all (and it still works unlike my MSR-x)
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Mine started doing this sporadically and i finally chalked it up to a bad board. Sometimes I will get a flight in, other times the servos will lock at full throw after a minute.. I finally noticed that when I plug the battery in, if I touch the board in a certain way, the servos will freak out.. Pretty sure it is a micro-short circuit somewhere.
Well, I took the servo off, wiped some black stuff off the strip and everything seems ok now, ugly weather so I haven't flown other than a quick test.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:26 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post

I have to agree - the question is simply how steep a learning curve are you willing to deal with, and where do you want to fly? If you want something for indoors, you'll want a lower gradient learning curve, or you'll end up like me with major buyers remorse over the MSRx for about a month. If you have a lot of patience, can fly in a big, forgiving space, and set your expectations VERY low for yourself at first, you could probably get the Nano (and a lot of spare parts) and you'd learn faster, but more painfully.

So basically, ask yourself, is your goal to get to the destination as fast as possible, or to enjoy the journey? If the former, go big - MSRX or Nano. If the latter, take the baby steps and you'll enjoy the trip and get a nice fleet of birds to fall back on when you just want to relax and chase your wife/dog/cat/child around the living room.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,765 Posts
The MSRX was the first heli I had that could be flown outdoors in any sort of real wind. Before that I had to fly my MSR in an area that was protected by trees to block the wind. The MSRX is awesome out in the wide open park spaces.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:30 AM
Crash Test Dummy
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Dec 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
That was bad advice. If you are using a DX6i or DX7 or DX7s or DX8 or DX10 or DX18
You should have it in "HELI" mode "1 SERVO NORMAL" That will get your throttle curve settings, and you should learn to use them. You will not use any of the pitch curve settings.
When connecting the battery, lay the mSRX on its side on a table, connect the battery without touching the heli, when the light turns solid pick it up put the battery in the holder, put the heli down on its skids and fly.
The gyro does not care what orientation it is in when it when the "initializes". It just needs to remain "still" until it completes it initializing process.
Rn
I started out with the MSRX in Heli 1 servo mode on my DX7 and couldn't control it. I spent a full week tweaking the mixes and got right turns ok, but couldn't mix left turns where i could keep it from crashing. I started out with a syma s107 then moved to a solo pro for a year, just got the MSRX & DX7 for christmas. I can fly the solo pro like a beast =) Now this is my 1st experience with a programmable controller, i spent about 20 hours reading the manual, watching youtube videos, and reading forum posts about mixing etc and understand it all. Had throttle curves and different dual rates and expos setup on the norm\st1\st2 switch. Like I said I spent a week working on the mixes and couldn't make it behave. When i say behave I don't mean do piros without moving around. I expect to use the cyclics to keep it under control. I read the manual for the MSRX and it said use ACRO mode. So I gave it a shot and instantly I could fly it with acceptable control. I still have to use the cyclics to turn it around, but hey! I can turn it around without crashing.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you. For an expert flyer, who has been using programmable radios for years, you can probably get better performance and more adjustability by using the Heli mode. But for an intermediate pilot like me, ACRO got me enjoying my heli. I was regretting the purchase before that. Now its very challenging, but fun!

Also thanks for the nod about keeping the heli still while gyros initalize. Very important! I wish they would elaborate in the manual. It's like they can't spare one more sheet of paper? Seriously Blade we aren't idiots, tell us how these things work instead of making us figure it out for our self. We need an beginner manual and a service manual with the 'secrets'.
powdermnky007 is offline Find More Posts by powdermnky007
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,765 Posts
I also HIGHLY recommend the msrx book by John Salt at rchelicopterfun.com I bought it and found it to be extremely useful.

FWIW, I do not use any mixes with my MSRX. No expo and 100% dual rates (75% indoors...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:41 AM
Oxford, Indiana
Joined Sep 2002
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powdermnky007 View Post
Also thanks for the nod about keeping the heli still while gyros initalize. Very important! I wish they would elaborate in the manual. It's like they can't spare one more sheet of paper? Seriously Blade we aren't idiots, tell us how these things work instead of making us figure it out for our self. We need an beginner manual and a service manual with the 'secrets'.
It's in the manual, but hard to pick out - I read tech manuals constantly, due to my work, and when I was finding that my mSR X seemed to be flying different, each flight, I went back and dug it out - hadn't seen it at all the first time. Sure made a world of difference!! This is my first helicopter, although I've flown fixed wing for years, and couldn't figure out why the trim was so far off each flight, even though I only had a half-dozen flights on it, and I had checked it for looseness, and things that looked wrong.

I'm sure I'm going to have a LOT of questions in the forums, seeing as I plan to dig out my old 8UAP, and have a DM8 coming, to learn to fly this thing with. Previous plane experience has sure helped, and I was successful at hovering the 2nd flight. I know that it is a LONG way, before I can consider myself "flying" the bird, but the hover is the hardest, especially with the radio that comes with the RTF version. But, you're right, the manual could be a LOT better - doesn't say SQUAT about the AS3X, and how it works, and I am having trouble understanding the MMM/JDD stuff, when it says to click trim 3 clicks, effectively shutting off the AS3X?? But they talk heading hold, and I'm assuming that's what they mean. Guess I should read some more...

)
rcav8or is offline Find More Posts by rcav8or